650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Bobber for a beginner?

Bobber for a beginner?
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
scotts

PostPosted: August 17, 2007, 10:15 am    Post subject: Bobber for a beginner?

I came across a SWEET XS650 bobber on ebay. I'm drooling over it and trying to talk myself out of buying it.
In the ad it says that it's a hardtail and not for a beginner. I'm somewhat new to riding and have a few hundred miles under my belt.
This particular bike has little if any front rake (near stock if not stock), front and rear brakes, a hardtail conversion and a solo springer seat. It has traditional controls...no suicide shifter or forward pegs, etc.
What would make it unsuitable for a beginner? Are hardtails that much different to ride?
One of the reasons I'm attracted to this bike is that it's NOT so extreme. Having never ridden a bobber/hartail/solo springer seat, what makes them "not for a beginner"?
Photo Gallery
hesredbird

PostPosted: August 17, 2007, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

quote: What would make it unsuitable for a beginner?

Nothing. The smoother the road, the smoother the ride.
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: August 17, 2007, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

Not that I agree nor disagree about the suitability of a "hardtail" for a beginner ........but. It sure would be a good idea to know from some personal experience what a hardtail bike is like to ride before you buy one.

Let's hope you're young, agile lightweight with a rhino butt & back, cause while the "smoother the road.....the smoother the ride is no doubt true" so is the opposite!

Sounds like more "chopper than bobber" ??? Front wheel brake???

PostPosted: August 18, 2007, 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

I took the question as meaning why would a hardtail be unsuitable for a beginner. I don't know why it would be. That being said, when you ride a hardtail, you have to keep your eyes on the road for bad spots more so than on a bike with rear suspension. Hitting a pothole at 65 mph will send the rear end up in the air. If you are an inexperienced rider, you could end up with a face full of highway. Other than that, I can think of no other reason for one being unfit for a beginner. Having a sprung seat on smooth roads with low air pressure in the rear tire seems pretty much like any other bike I've ever been on. BTW, I am pushing 60 years old and am over 200lbs. I am just careful where I ride and keep my eyes open.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 18, 2007, 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

I have been riding for 50 years and have no idea why someone would want to take the springs off the back of a motorcycle...........Maybe since we can't see the back of our heads we think we won't feel the bumps on the back of our asses.........

John
Photo Gallery
hesredbird

PostPosted: August 18, 2007, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

xsjohn wrote:
I have been riding for 50 years and have no idea why someone would want to take the springs off the back of a motorcycle...........Maybe since we can't see the back of our heads we think we won't feel the bumps on the back of our asses.........

John
Well, John, it has been said many times before. We all are a little different and have different likes and dislikes. scotts ask a question about a haritail being suitable for beginners. I answered him from my experience. I don't know why anyone would ever want a green bike. But that's just me.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 18, 2007, 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

The last raccoon and possom I ran over sure enjoyed his softer demise....So did I.....I wonder if I would even be here to run my mouth if not for the springs.......But if it would have been a groundhog (as tought as they are) it might not of made any difference..........

John

Last edited by xsjohn on August 19, 2007, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: August 18, 2007, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

Maybe I'm just jealous......my old 68 yr old bod sure couldn't stand up to the shockless jolts anymore. Good on ya Redbird, all the best you're obviously a tougher and cooler old hyde than me.

I take the question to be coming from a real newcomer to biking in general. Just be cautious till you get the feel of that hardtail cause it can and will skate around a bit more on poor surfaces and bumps than the "usual" swingarm and shock suspensions.

Best, Blue

PostPosted: August 19, 2007, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

I wouldn't say that is the case, bluebikerblan. I just know my limitations and ride accordingly. I run 10lbs. of pressure in the rear tire, have a good sprung seat and keep my eyes open. I did hit a collie sized dog once. Thump thump. Maybe I just got him in the soft spots though. I also saw him coming and had slowed down enough to not lose control of my bike. He was chasing the guy I was riding with and never saw me. He did get up and run home (I assume) to his front porch.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 19, 2007, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

Guess my point was that these things are dangerous enough...why make it worse.......But then again if we are going to play with fire.....why not make it a big one.....if that is even a decent anology.....if a rigid frame handeled good then racers would use them.....then again some do......I'm leaving........

John
Photo Gallery
ghostyder

PostPosted: August 26, 2007, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

if Im not mistaken werent all motorcycles hardtailed in the early days of motorcycling? Im sure beginers have learned on hardtails in the past. I had an old Suzuki single 400 that I hard tailed and it was a blast around town and a nightmare for long travels, I also hard tailed a xs850 and based on my previous experience did a much better job with rake and trail. It was actually a pretty comfy bike. my current project is a 79 xs 650 and I am absolutely keeping it sprung! you can have a pretty cool looking bobber without going the hardtail route.
chazz

PostPosted: August 28, 2007, 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

not bad starting on a hardtail but bear in mind

1} after an hour you will feel pain in your knees an small of your back

2} after riding you will feel more pain in knees an small of back as the joints start tightening up again.

3}your insides will be swished an juggled around as if they were in a washing machine

4}if you continue riding hardtails you will at some point need treatment on your back

5}you will also be destind to wear a kidney belt everytime you ride

but apart from the above there quite fun Laughing
Photo Gallery
pelski

PostPosted: September 25, 2007, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

maybe they were referring to the constant tinkering associated with a bobber.

I had a hardtail that I loved to ride around town....and I am the process of building another, and have the parts laying around to build another after that. They are just fun!

I also have a Honda 1100 ACE for the long rides.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 26, 2007, 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

People have bobbers because they look really cool. Lot's of people will stop & chat when you ride a cool bobber or chopper who wouldn't even notice you on a stocker. And some of these people are of the female persuasion. Here's a photo of the last bobber I put together, if I upload it correctly...
greg

81 bobber.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.9 KB
 Viewed:  373 Time(s)

81 bobber.jpg

81 bobber.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.9 KB
 Viewed:  322 Time(s)

81 bobber.jpg

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4) XS650 Bobber; Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 panhead; XL chopped. Current Rides: Yamaha 81XS650H Cchopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 CB 750F Stock
Irish

PostPosted: September 27, 2007, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

Little riding experience + rigid frame + pot hole= new member of the over the bars club

NOT GOOD

I have been riding for over 25 years, I had a shovel head rigid framed bobber, and one pothole damn near killed me. If it were not for alot of dirtbike and enduro riding I would have lost it for sure.
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: September 28, 2007, 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bobber for a beginner?

The shocks on my 71 are so bad my ass leaves the seat a few times a day. I'm used to it now, but it can really jerk on your arms, especially if you're silly enough to be completing a gear change just as you hit a bump. Luckily new riders are pretty careful, even overcareful, but having to scan that road for every little bump and manhole takes away from looking way ahead for trouble in the future.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1