650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Turbocharged XS650?

Turbocharged XS650?
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
XSKID

PostPosted: July 9, 2007, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Turbocharged XS650?

So, this september I am coming into about $5k! The XS650 I have is modded, chopped, in a sence, messed up! I am wondering what you all think about turbocharging? Would the stock CV carbs take that with some adjustment? Would it ef up the top end to push boost?

The idea of a turbocharged XS is a real pipe dream. But, I have the turbocharger and am looking to get a new bike soon so I figured if it would half ass work, and give some info to you guys on how far an XS motor can really go!

So, here is my biggest question, would the carbs take that kind of flow? I have built a few turbo cars, but they had fuel injection. I am wondering how the diaphram's in the carbs would react to 5-6lbs. of boost.

Should I just try it and report back to the forum with results and video footage?

Thanks,

Ben
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 9, 2007, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

I am looking at cylinder temperatures now.......They are barely marginal stock......Any souping up and forget riding it hard or for any distance in the summer......

John
Photo Gallery
XSKID

PostPosted: July 9, 2007, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

Thats a problem I was hoping to not encounter is temp. I thought for sure the oiling system would barely be able to keep up with the setup, but for the most part, the turbine I have is kinda fouled up so it would be just to mess around in the area anyway.

Ben
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 9, 2007, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

IF YOU GO ON TO THE AUSTRALIAN WEBSITE FOR THE 650 THERE IS A GUY WHO HAS DONE JUST ABOUT EVERY MODIFICATION YOU CAN DO TO THIS BIKE. GOOGLE XS 650 AUSTRALIA
YOU SHOULD FIND HIM & PICS OF HIS BIKE IS UNDER THE MEMBER SECTION
I FIGURE IF HE CAN RUN IN THE OUTBACK WITH TEMPS TOPING 115 YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THOSE MODS AND RUN WITH OUR TEMPS UNLESS YOUR IN ARIZONA.

GOOD LUCK KYLE
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: July 9, 2007, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

xsjohn wrote:
I am looking at cylinder temperatures now.......They are barely marginal stock......Any souping up and forget riding it hard or for any distance in the summer......

John

What is a good operating temp? I have an infra-red temp gun and I'll check mine next time I ride it but I have no idea what good or bad is, as far as temps go.
Photo Gallery
XSKID

PostPosted: July 9, 2007, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

I'm in wisconsin, and I will indeed google that as soon as I am done here. Thanks for the insight, I will have to get an infra-red temp gun as mentioned by scotts and compare some temps before and after. I will report back with progress since it seems a go on trying to turbocharge for bottom end power in the higher gears once the damn thing spins. Smile

Ben
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 9, 2007, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

Scotts.....Over 250 degrees on the cylinders will cause problems..........I use an oil cooler and the head temps are well below that but there is no real way to cool the cylinders without running rich mixtures and hotter plugs....There is a limit to rich mixtures when you wash the cylinders and eat up the rings............I can keep the cylinders at 243 on the express on a 90 degree day at 65 or so.......Some bikes can go to 280 or more and it will F them up fast.......Been there and done that.........A hot rod would be fun if you just blasted around for a short bit and shut it off. Couldn't imagine the way I ride.....Leave in the morning and Im home an night....lots of express and no stopping every overpass to let it cool....

Absolute correct pilot jet settings and main needle settings are critical for high speed riding.....

Stock gearing will add degrees to everything...........I do have a hot cylinder that I have to compensate for by running it richer....Wish I didn't have it but I do......And no real good answer to why.....

John

Last edited by xsjohn on July 30, 2007, 8:31 am; edited 5 times in total
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 9, 2007, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

don't even mess around just find a turbo Seca and get it over with ;^)
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 9, 2007, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

I was thinking about a turbo skateboard.....Wouldn't stay on it long enough to heat it up........

John
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 9, 2007, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

www.bikepics.com/membe...cleman112/

Information: This Seca Turbo is a completely original motorcycle, right down to the hand grips. It runs like a champ below 8,000 rpms. After that is becomes an animal. The motor revs, the clutch feels like it is slipping, it´s not...it´s just going faster and faster until the chassis can´t hang in there any longer and it starts to shake. This usually happens around 120ish. If you have the guts to hold on, it will pull at least 135.

I live close enough to Missouri I'll just go buy a bunch of sky rockets to strap to my a**

bikepics-58752-320.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.35 KB
 Viewed:  4310 Time(s)

bikepics-58752-320.jpg

CornbreadRed
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 10, 2007, 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

IMHO, Turbo'ing the XS kinda defeats the whole simple nature of the bike. But if I was that struck by the "Mo'Power" bug, I'd bring it up to 750cc's, beef up the oil pump, weld the crank, then use nitrous instead of the turbo.

Of course, the thing would handle like a drunken elephant on acid.....

Not worth it.
Chip

PostPosted: July 10, 2007, 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

I agree it wouldn't be worth it. I filmed some sweet riding yesterday and the bike even appears to be a cruiser in its road manners. Despite everything I did to make it handle better, and appear to be more like a sport touring bike, its still just a good ol' XS.

I was looking at the turbocharger held in diffrent locations on the bike and it seems like a nasty looking peice of metal no matter where it is on the bike. Some bikes look ok with turbo systems but the XS is not one of them. I have to agree that a 750 kit and some NO2 would suffice for the power bug.

Its really not a quest for more power (despite the fact it is a byproduct of turbocharging) I really am just trying to do something diffrent. I turbocharged an 89 toyota corolla, nobody had ever considered it back then and were very impressed with the outcome. The XS is sorta the same ticket. Do something nobody else has, but, without breaking the bank in the process.

I suppose I am just going to wait for the money this fall and buy a bunch of resto parts to finish off the XS and buy a FZR600. Then I will have what I want when I want it, relaxing rides on the XS and hair standing up on the back of your neck cornering on track days with the FZR.

Thanks for all the help guys I really like the insight. It helps me get these things out of my system before I decide to start cutting and welding. Laughing

Ben
Photo Gallery
milldinaire

PostPosted: July 19, 2007, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

CornbreadRed wrote:
IMHO, Turbo'ing the XS kinda defeats the whole simple nature of the bike. But if I was that struck by the "Mo'Power" bug, I'd bring it up to 750cc's, beef up the oil pump, weld the crank, then use nitrous instead of the turbo.

Not worth it.
Chip
I want a drunken elephant on acid.
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 19, 2007, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

the motorbook store sells a old manual on how to turbocharge your bike add nitrous, or supercharge it.

go that route
Photo Gallery
XSKID

PostPosted: July 19, 2007, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

That has to be one of the funniest truth's I have ever heard. I am kinda in a bind here, my forks are shot, my rear shocks are shot, and my engine is solid.

Kinda changing subject, but, I don't see a point in another forum topic to cover it anyway.

I have a stripped 84' VF500F interceptor chassis, perfect shocks, perfect brakes, perfect forks, for the year it is perfect, but, the chassis on the engine hoops are f'ed up bad, dented like crazy from the previous owner laying it into a curb then rebuilding it and riding it until the engine went 10 years after the salvage/rebuild of it. SO... its konwn to be strait, I rode it plenty before the trans and engine case seals failed due to years of abuse.

I have measured EVERYTHING and with some creative fabrication the engine will FIT perfectly. But, that is with removing the factory engine rails and replacing them with something similar to the XS engine mounts.

I have seen XS-R1 and it looks more than plausible. I think I am going for it this winter. The XS is showing some signs of being 30 years old and the chassis I am going to use is in perfect condition with all the running gear, controls, EVERYTHING. minus the engine that is sitting next to it. Every part is accounted for and I have nothing better to do with my time than write blueprints and make careful measurements of the 2 bikes side by side.

The chains are exact, the engine sprocket placement is aligned so well you would be crazy to doubt the possibility of it fitting almost perfectly. If or when I start this nuts project to make the XS650"R" Interceptor, I will start the build pics and story in the frank-in-bike section.

Thanks for all the help in getting this figured out. The point of swapping the engine to the twin spar frame is to make the race derived chassis "simple" and more or less reliable. Remember how finicky those V4 engines were? Thats all I have for now. I will update with progress on my planning.

XSKID

note: I have the turbo, nitro, s/c book, thats more or less what got me thinking. Very Happy
Photo Gallery
CornbreadRed
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

Hey Kid, go for it.

"The chains are exact, the engine sprocket placement is aligned so well you would be crazy to doubt the possibility of it fitting almost perfectly"...

I'll bet a jelly donut with sprinkles that Mr. Murphy will disagree with that statement, but hey, it sound's a lot better than trying to get 500 instant mad-button horsepower outta that XS mill.

Yeah, my vote is drop the engine in that frame. Best of luck.

Chip

PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbocharged XS650?

Already started, the statement about it fitting really well, it is true, I have the chain strung up to it and need to start welding in the new brackets and such, I have a new topic in Cafe' Racer on the start of it, there is a pic of the mock fit there also.

And I wasn't trying to get mad power out of the old 650 I was just wondering if it has been done to make one even stronger than they are in the first place.

I wanted to explore all my options before starting something. This engine swap is coming along easier than any turbo kit I have ever installed!

Edit*- thanks for all the help and your opinion really matters when it comes to it because I am here for the society and not to tell everyone what I think an XS should be.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1