650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Brake Fluid - DOT 3 TO DOT 5 ???

Brake Fluid - DOT 3 TO DOT 5 ???
    Forum Index -> Drive
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: July 5, 2007, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Brake Fluid - DOT 3 TO DOT 5 ???

I'm a definite proponent of DOT 5 silicone brake fluid and about to do some overhaul of the brake systems on my still new to me 78' SE. I'd really like to switch from DOT 3 to DOT 5 if possible while I'm at it. Has anyone made this change? Are their any known compatibility issues? Now would seem to be the time with new lines and seals since I'm sure a complete clean out is necessary. I've seen nothing in the archives on the subject. Thx
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 5, 2007, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Fluid - DOT 3 TO DOT 5 ???

Probably not a good idea. There can be complications using Dot 5 on old bikes.
go to..................www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml

bluebikerblan

PostPosted: July 6, 2007, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Fluid - DOT 3 TO DOT 5 ???

Thanks for the info Sir.......I'm a member of AIRHEADS, know well of the
Beemer guru "Oak" referenced in the technical article above you site BUT;
had not seen that piece. Since the benefits are marginal and the compatibility risks undefined I think I'll leave it alone and stay with DOT 3 after getting the aged junk cleaned out and replaced with new. Thx for the time and attention and very good info. in the article. Best, Blue

WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: July 6, 2007, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Fluid - DOT 3 TO DOT 5 ???

I'm running DOT5 brake fluid in mine without caliper problems. I'm running aftermarket HD master cylinders that required it + it doesn't F up paint. I had my calpers and piston completely clean & new lines when I did mine a couple years back. I don't know how XS master cylinders would react to it.
Photo Gallery
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: July 6, 2007, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Fluid - DOT 3 TO DOT 5 ???

Yeah MoChopper....I used DOT 5 in my Harleys too but; was warned against doing so in the my Airhead Beemers hydraulics. So that's why the question exists re stock XS system. Silicone brake fluids are absorbed and will swell and soften some types of rubber. Probably not a great item to do road testing experiments on to find out?

Not long ago, I learned (after all these years) that DOT 3 & DOT 4 fluids are supposed to be changed out regularly. Bet there aren't 2 in 10 users that do it or perhaps even know that they should???

WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: July 6, 2007, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Fluid - DOT 3 TO DOT 5 ???

I would definetly stick with DOT 3 if I was running all stock XS componets. I went to 1" bars and forward controls using the aftermarket DOT 5 master cylinders. I've done a lot of riding and been around drag bikes as well and have never seen nor heard of any problems with moisture and brake lock up. I consider brake to be the most important system on the bike, crashing sucks!
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1