650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > question about regulator/rectifier (makes lots of smoke)

question about regulator/rectifier (makes lots of smoke)
    Forum Index -> Electrical
thefreeryder

PostPosted: July 2, 2007, 9:29 pm    Post subject: question about regulator/rectifier (makes lots of smoke)

I think that i have a fried reg/rectifier. My stator ohms out ok, my rotors ohms out on the lower end of ok but my voltage regulator/rectifier (81 xs 650) seems strange. Its has "chopper wiring" so I am having trouble figureing out exactly how it all should work. As i understand, 3 white wires connect to three white wires from stator. Red goes to battery, black to ground, green goes to reference wire on brush, brown goes to switch 12v. When i hook the reg up this way its literally spews smoke from the case when 12v is switched on. I started testing it and the diodes in the rectifiter seem ok, but my brown wire and black wire set off my short beeper. They show about 2.9ohms between them. This seems strange to me but then again im not really sure how the regulator works. Can anyone offer me any help? I am dieing to get out and ride!
thefreeryder

PostPosted: July 2, 2007, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: question about regulator/rectifier (makes lots of smoke)

ok so ive just learned something about the regulator/rectifier units that i thought i would share in case anyone else was confused like me. I figured there must be a simple way to bypass the regulator entirely and since all of my wires are cut it was easy for me to connect and disconnect wires individually. I connected all three white stator wires, and directly connected the black and red to negative and positive on battery. (of course all this is for temporary testing only) then i made sure there was switched 12v going to the rotor and grounded the green lead going to the other brush. I left the green and red leads coming from the reg/rec unit unconnected to anything. Made sure nothing was touching where it wasnt supposed to and started the bike. And BAM, 14.7 volts!!! So exciting since i have never seen this bike charge even the slightest bit!

Now im going to try to retrofit a regulator from an auto parts store or maybe one from a radian that i just won on ebay for 10 bucks.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1