650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Carb Float Level

Carb Float Level
    Forum Index -> Fuel
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 25, 2007, 2:01 am    Post subject: Carb Float Level

I just cleaned and rebuilt carbs on 78 XS650 SE. Set the Float height to 24 mm ( .940 in)...........Since the fuel level in the float bowls is so important I'd like to hook up a manometer to the float bowl drain plug using clear plastic tubing. I expect I can get a bolt of the same thread and just drill it out.
Anyone done this before? How did you do it? When viewing the manometer, what is the correct level for the fuel?

grizld1

PostPosted: June 25, 2007, 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

You're not really using a manometer (instrument for reading pressure)there, just a simple tube vented to atmosphere that lets the fuel rise to its level. You're on the right track--get a spare float bowl plug, drill it out, and attach a barb. Fuel level should come to the bottom of the flange on the float bowl with the bike level. It's not necessary to run the engine while you do this.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 28, 2007, 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

Drilled out a float bowl drain plug and connected plastic tubing. Set up carbs level on the bench. ....................Interesting that when I set float height as per the Haynes manual @ 24 mm or .940 in. the actual fuel level as seen in the plastic tubing is 3/16 in. above flange of float bowl,(Rich)

This time I started by adjusting the float until I had the correct fuel level at the bottom of flange on float bowl. Then when I measured the float height it was 26.6 mm or 1.047 in.This is where I will leave it.

I think everyone would be wise to set their float levels using a plastic tube from the drain plug. Taking a measurement from float bottom to gasket surface is error prone and will not necessarily put your fuel level at the correct spot.

xsjohn

PostPosted: June 28, 2007, 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

How does it run now and what are your head temps.....

John
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 28, 2007, 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

John;............Not ready to run engine yet; parts coming from mikesxs such as master cyl. rebuild kit and oil sump filter. Hope to have it running soon and will update my posts. I don't have a laser thermometer but your postings on head temperatures are making me think about buying one.
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 28, 2007, 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

Sure could save the farm in the summer if things arn't just right.....Rode mine for 7 years with a hot cylinder and can't tell you how may times I had to fix it before I figured that one.........30 bucks for a infrared thermometer seems like nothing now...

John
Photo Gallery
80xs650

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

How did the non-spec float height work out? Did you have to change it? Thanks.
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

Brass float settings 80.........23MM is about stock when set with the spring depressed...........use the allens and the floats and bowl and jets can be accesed on the bike........stock needles suck.............that in combination with timing and compression will beat the thing to death........been there and done that..........

xsjohn

80 floats .jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.79 KB
 Viewed:  734 Time(s)

80 floats .jpg

Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

80xs650;
Setting the float level with a clear plastic tubing from the drain valve is the most accurate, with no chance of error. Yes, I left my 38mm CV carbs as set in June of 07. Engine has started perfect and run extremely well ever since.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

As long as you know what the level is really supposed to be on these.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
80xs650

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

Thanks to both of you gentlemen for the replies. I'm going to replace the butterfly shaft seals on my 1977 650D soon (the right carb is chirping loudly), so I think I'll rebuild them at the same time, and get everything set properly. If the budget allows, I'd like to put them back together with a set of John's needles as well.

One other question: When measuring from the "gasket surface", is that the carb body where the gasket sits, or is it with the gasket in place? The last time I had the carbs apart, I set the floats at 24mm without the gasket.

Thanks again.
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

Getting the screws off the main bar is fun........should heat them......I have broke off 2 so far......they used some kind of super loctite on them....once they break off I would have no idea how to get the stud out.....tried everything......had to drill and tap it larger.....bad day....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

the yamaha factory manual i have shows how to do the drain plug /clear hose like this.

rotor and calipers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.17 KB
 Viewed:  414 Time(s)

rotor and calipers.jpg

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

God I am blind......knew I should have quit that sooner.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

xsjohn wrote:
Brass float settings 80.........23MM is about stock when set with the spring depressed...........
xsjohn

JOHN!!>..Wow..I've been looking for this Data...is there data like this for the 77 Carbs some idiot put on my 78 Smile
..adjusting on the bike I mean...
Photo Gallery
xjwmx

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

xsleo wrote:
the yamaha factory manual i have shows how to do the drain plug /clear hose like this.

You have to be careful there's no bubbles in the tube, else it will read way wrong. I open the tap with the hose pointing down a bit and let the tube fill, which seems to keep the bubbles from forming. The engine should be idling.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

Jake.....make your own data.......set the floats to factory then measure to the body with the float spring gently depressed till it bottoms.....note that measurement.....see a few posts above.........posted that over 2 years ago.........been doing that for 40 years.......based on lazyness I guess...allens in the float bowl.........like a girl in a dress....play without ripping everything off Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

Important to have the carbs level, when setting float levels with the clear tubing method. If doing this with the carbs on the bike, it would be done with the engine off.
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

Yeah John, I spotted the Allens tip..its a cracker..off to get me some tomorrow Smile
Photo Gallery
tweedy64

PostPosted: December 15, 2008, 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Float Level

Ye jake allens in your float bowl makes life sooooo much easier, did mine awhile ago. cheers tweedy
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1