650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
bsquared

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 11:05 pm    Post subject: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

I joined this group back in early May and thank everyone for there help. I took the bike around the house for a spin and it basically worked! The tank is cleaned, brakes fixed, and now I'm on to replacing fork seals, new clutch cables and pushrod actuator, rear shocks, petcock rebuild kits (the old ones are leaking badly) headlight and turn signal lenses, muffler seals and clamps (the auto glass packs are falling off.) Next, I'll need to get the mouse nests out of the seat and put on a new one. Slowly but surely.
Peace,
Bsquared.

Philippians 4:7 I really believe Wink that this has been mistranslated...St. Paul was thinking about a large Chocolate brownie when he mentioned the "piece that passes all understanding." (Yes...I'm joking)
Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

bsquared wrote:
I joined this group back in early May and thank everyone for there help. I took the bike around the house for a spin and it basically worked! The tank is cleaned, brakes fixed, and now I'm on to replacing fork seals, new clutch cables and pushrod actuator, rear shocks, petcock rebuild kits (the old ones are leaking badly) headlight and turn signal lenses, muffler seals and clamps (the auto glass packs are falling off.) Next, I'll need to get the mouse nests out of the seat and put on a new one. Slowly but surely.
Peace,
Bsquared.

Right on - you're ahead of me.. I'm stuck waiting for cash so I can buy some parts. Sad Need plugs, wires, air filters, fork seals, kick starter oil seal, tach cable, tires.

A few more weeks and I'll be able to get at least some of it though.

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
billc

PostPosted: June 14, 2007, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

Congrat's on your progress,I have a xs2 and enjoy it,Keep asking questions as needed you can usally find help here.I keep mine as it came paint is not perfect a little faded and some kicks and all the stuff works a 100%mechanicly.It gets a lot of attention when parked with other's.Good luck and don't forget to ride it that's what their for.Enjoy
Photo Gallery
bsquared

PostPosted: June 14, 2007, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

Thanks for the reply. I plan on riding it, so does my wife...we might have to get another one! Actually, it would be a good excuse to get a new one, a low rider, maybe a v-twin harley copy, for her, and we can switch off. Laughing My parts are still somewhere between FL and NE...another day off or two and I might have it licensable, that is, if the clutch internals are good.
Peace,
Bsquared

Philippians 4:7 I really believe Wink that this has been mistranslated...St. Paul was thinking about a large Chocolate brownie when he mentioned the "piece that passes all understanding." (Yes...I'm joking)
Photo Gallery
bsquared

PostPosted: July 24, 2007, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

Hey, Me and bike are legal now! I've put on over 100 miles and it seems to be pretty good. It backfired quite a bit, but I tighted up the cam chain, filed the points, and timed it (the valves clearances were ok) and its improved, but I just need to replace the points. I botched the fork seal replacement by prying on the outer fork and dinging up the groove for the seal retaining clip. After scratching the groove open as best I could, it seems to be holding the seal and spring clip. I still need a seat.
The speedo cable nut at the bottom broke, but good ole JB weld fixed it up (I didn't glue it to the wheel unit.)
It's amazing how it cruises. 60 mph at 4000 rpm and I'm not in even in the last gear!
I've forgotten how noisy the wind is and how hard a bug is when it hits your face going over 60. At least when it's 95 degrees out, the breeze feels good.
Next steps, fine tuning the engine (no backfire), get rid of the glass packs and put on stock replacement mufflers, inspect and grease the steering bearings under the handlebars....get a new seat.
Peace,
Bsquared

Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 25, 2007, 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

You should be in 5th gear with that kind of RPM's and speed. Mine doesn't have stock gearing anymore, and I am about 3800 at 60MPH. I don't even know if Johns is that low. Good luck on keeping her going.
Photo Gallery
bsquared

PostPosted: July 26, 2007, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

Hi INXS,
Actually, when I get to 5th gear, I'm doing 3400 rpm at 60mph. By the time I get up to 4000, I'm doing about 70. Maybe when I replaced the front and rear sprockets, I got higher speed gearing and didn't know it. I think the transmission is stock. The roads are pretty rough out here in Nebraska, doing 55 is a lot more comfortable than 65. Plus, anything other than town roads, county or state highways are gravel. Maybe I should get knobby tires Smile
Peace,
Bsquared

Photo Gallery
bsquared

PostPosted: September 3, 2007, 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

Dirt Bike or Street Bike????
Well, my 72 xs 650 is running good enough for me to "push the envelope." Maybe I'm crazy, but after preaching yesterday, I had to hit some of the minimum maintanence roads out here in NE Nebraska. We had 1 inch of rain overnight and I knew it would be mucky, but I had to get out.
I discovered that the street fenders on my bike don't allow enough room for accumulated muck, the front wheel stopped turning, the back wheel just spun, and I was stuck..stuck in muck. I wiped out three times...good thing mud is soft....bent my turn signals and brake lever, generally coverying everything, including myself, in mud. I have to say, it was exciting anyway. I made it to the Wynot 100 year celebration fair just in time for the greased pig contest and everyone thought I had entered from the way I looked.
I never realized how hard it was to lift up a downed bike when it's sliding away from you, and your feet are sliding the other way!
I just had the discussion with my wife about having the bike both ways....street, and dirt...I don't think I can. Either I fix it up nice..a classic bike, or strip it down and go for the dirt. Hmmmm....
I can see why my brother liked to use it to sort cattle though....it's got a lot of power...too bad it's so heavy. I'm just a little stiff today.
Peace,
Bsquared.

Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: September 3, 2007, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

what size sprokets did you use i'm at 4000rpm w stock front17t and 30t rear
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 3, 2007, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

Raise the front fender, and when it is time for tires go with a good dual sport, and you will have your street/dirt bike. It won't be able to take any jumps, but should handle mud and gravel better.
Photo Gallery
bsquared

PostPosted: September 3, 2007, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check the front sprocket next time I can get a good look at it. I just tried to count the back teeth and it looks like 34. The front must be pretty big too, or I would be at a lot higher rpms. When I ordered them, I just asked for a matched set for this bike, with chain, and took what he gave me. The receipt didn't specify. I must have got lucky.
As far as raising the front fender to allow for mud, it makes sense, although, I'd have to fabricate something to lengthen the support brackets...that might be for another day.
Thanks,
Bsquared

Photo Gallery
LouC

PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

Hello from Omaha!! Sounds like you are having fun with that old XS2! Funny story about the mud and the greased pig contest!! Smile

When I get my 77 up and running, might have to see if it can go that far north!
bsquared

PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

It was fun. The folks on the ambulance squad heard about my antics on the muddy road and are on the lookout for me now... I'll have to watch it. At this point, I'm trying hard to decide whether to keep it as a street bike, go for the dirt, or chop it. There are some very nice looking modified 650s out there. I like the ones that still have some rear shocks...the bobbers is what I think they're called. I just can't see how they figure out how all the bolt holes match up once you start lengthening swing arms, straightening out the "backbone" frame pieces, and extending forks. I know you just make new holes, it just seems very difficult. I'm needing to do a lot of research, watching other's progress, and talking to the local biker mechanic.
Peace,
Bsquared

Photo Gallery
billc

PostPosted: September 13, 2007, 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

bsquared,Seems like your injoying the 72,if I were you I would keep this one as a everyday runner maybe change the tire's but keep her basicly stock.Your having to much fun to mess this up.There are a lot of 650's out their for a reasonable price to cut up and try to make what you want.But when you get frustrated working on it you can always jump on that 72 an let those frustrations go, out on the road.I owned my 72 for 35 years now,had many different bikes along the way,don't really no why I've hung on to it so long but I still enjoy taking it for a ride. Just my thought's, Keep the shinny side up,
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 13, 2007, 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

billc.......how many miles do you have on that 72......

John
Photo Gallery
bsquared

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

I can see the logic of not chopping my bike if it's already in good order. It would be better to keep my eyes open for a basket case or beat up bike, and use it for a project. Although, I took it out for a ride the other night, stopped for gas, and when I kicked it over, it let out the loudest single bang of a backfire I had heard yet. I kicked it over again and it started, ran rough and I couldn't get any power at all. JUst barely made it home. It sounds like something drastic happened with the timing. I need to look at the points or the backing plate they're mounted on. Something must have slipped. Since it did run afterwards, I hope it wasn't the timing chain or gears. I hope something like connecting rods or valves weren't damaged.

Today is a day off, I might just take a look. Wish me luck.
PS...My petcocks continue to leak, even after new shutoff/reserve gaskets and wave washers... could it be that the ethanol blended gas is to thin or somehow passing through?

Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

my petcock leaked after I first rebuilt it too. This might not be your problem but after taking it apart and redoing it, it stopped leaking. It seems picky about how you get that wave washer placed and how tight you screw it down. I had to back off on the screw tension on mine.
bsquared

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

Thanks,
I took the petcocks apart again, and bent the washer a bit more to increase tension. It seems to be working, just a bit of leakage. I might try to loosen the screws as you suggest...it counter-intuitive...like why we like to ride bikes, get hit with stones and large bugs, and catch spray off passing cattle trucks. It's counter-intuitive.
Peace,
Bsquared

Photo Gallery
blue900

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

it may be wise to Avoid ethanol blended gas as Alcohol is hard on rubber and there are lots of rubber parts in the fuel system, My parts guy told me the newer cars don't have rubber parts in the fuel system so its not a problem. His thought was the rubber parts need all the help they can get. I use to use it all the time.

These 650s are sure lots of fun It will be sad when its to snowy to ride!
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

I ride mine about year round here in NC. Usually doesn't get below 30 much. Leave the corn to the cars, use the good stuff in your bike.
Photo Gallery
billc

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

xsjohn wrote:
billc.......how many miles do you have on that 72......

John
John, sorry I didn't get back to you.You know the weather is nice yet here in the northeast got plenty going on before, well you can guess,already had frost 2 morning's. My old xs has 39K on the clock,never been completly apart.there was about 20 years it sat in the back of the garage,I rode and traded a lot of different bikes over those years,it had stuff piled on it ,got scraped up.Then about 5 years I dug it out,cleaned it up,I've been a mechanic all those years never really dug 20 years worth of dried gas out of anything before but thats another sorry.My wife and I both ride a lot on newer bikes,but after I got the 650 going, myself and a friend from high school that still has and rides his 650 BSA go at least 1 sunday a month for a ride.Guess what now my wife couldn't resist she bought a 72 honda that I now got going and she go's along also.Hope I didn't get to long winded for you.but from one older mech to another hope you enjoy the ride,here's a pic if come's thru

dscn1485 (small).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.27 KB
 Viewed:  127 Time(s)

dscn1485 (small).jpg

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

Billc.......looks good.........37,000 thats great....just turned 47,000 on my 80.......has been apart more than once..........but have it straight now.......had some cool mornings here in NC but no frost.......except what's on the pumpkin......

John
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: September 23, 2007, 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

cool looks a lot like my year. Looks like you might have original pipes and seat which are the first to go and hardest to replace on these old bikes. Probably shouldn't have told you that because now you won't want to sell them to me Cool

Have fun with it...
bsquared

PostPosted: June 21, 2008, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 650 Restoration progress!!!

One year later....here's what it looks like. Runs great, clutch seems to be slipping just a bit...maybe later I'll check it out.
Bsquared

1972 xs2 650 e.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.81 KB
 Viewed:  111 Time(s)

1972 xs2 650 e.jpg

1972 xs2 650 c.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.76 KB
 Viewed:  105 Time(s)

1972 xs2 650 c.jpg

1972 xs2 650 b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.12 KB
 Viewed:  106 Time(s)

1972 xs2 650 b.jpg

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2