650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Hi from Iowa

Hi from Iowa
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
lerch124

PostPosted: May 18, 2007, 10:02 am    Post subject: Hi from Iowa

I have just bought a 1974 XS 650 as a project bike so I can fix it up. THe first thing I need is a wireing diagram for this bike with a starter. Does anyone have this?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 18, 2007, 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

hi lerch and welcome, this should be what you need,

jayel in southeastern Iowa

yamaha_tx650a.jpg
 Description:
 Filename:  yamaha_tx650a.jpg
 Filesize:  168.79 KB
 Downloaded:  669 Time(s)

lerch124

PostPosted: May 21, 2007, 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

Thank you Jayel now all's I have to do is get the parts i need.
Photo Gallery
cscarroll

PostPosted: May 21, 2007, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

Lerch,

Congrats on the new project. I just started on a very rough '74 myself. As a matter of fact, I have an electronic copy of the official Yamaha manual, if you need it shoot me an email.

If you're ever going to be coming through Des Moines, give me a holler.

-C

Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 21, 2007, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

Looking at that diagram, I can see why TT takes all his off! It looks very greek to me. That's why I hope only one thing goes wrong at a time.
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 21, 2007, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

Come on INXS lets take a look here along with all you other dudes with electrical troubles this way we can save me the work of making the same thing you see above minus the trash. It is quite self explanatory. You just have to take some time and study the diagram. Print it out. My computer is weak I don't have a printer and this will be easier.

There is a numbered list on the right hand side. The numbers correspond to accessories on the bike. I shouldn't have to tell you what the colored lines represent but this diagram even tells us exactly what color wire we are looking at. A you can see, numbers 32 and 33 indicate that this bike is running a separate rectifier (the thing underneath your battery box) and regulator (the thing on the left side of your battery box). Do you see number 15? That is your main fuse. You need no other fuse. It is in the correct location as you can see # 16 (the whatever the hell kinda "chopper" battery you decide to run so long as its a 12 volt motorcycle battery) is the real source of the mysterious RED power wire. Replace that fuse with a 25 amp in line blade type. Continue to gaze into the red wire. Notice that it runs to item number 13. D you wanna electric start "chopper". Don't disconnect that part of the red wire. Wanna dump the starter? Cut that particular red (the one that goes to the solenoidy looking thing on the right side of the battery box). You could go further "chopper by cutting the red/white wire up to the right handlebar switch (# 9). You could now lose the right handlebar switch entirely (if you bought a new 7/8ths throttle).The MAIN RED WIRE that runs downward from the battery (#16) goes to 2 places (but through the 25 amp fuse first). It runs to the ignition key switch (# 40) with a splitter red spliced in running off to the rectifier (beneath battery box) which is # 32 on your diagram. If you expect your battery to charge you better run that splitter wire.

I'm going to safely assume that your original connectors coming off the alternator (AC GEN) are intact on your machine. If so leave it alone. It's much less hassle to remove your engine. Just check to make sure you have the 3 white wires to the rectifier, the green wire to the regulator, and the black wire to ground. These wires come directly from your alternator. The yellow wire is bogus. You can cut it if you like.

This is where our "chopper" wiring changes from the schematic above. Notice the brown wire near the center of the diagram where it runs to # 24. Number 24 is your coils (underneath the gas tank). This brown mess can be replaced by running a wire from the ON side of your keyswitch to the coils (you will have to make a splitter as you near the coil). The only brown wire you have to worry about is the one running from your regulator (# 33). Run that brown wire directly to the ON side of your ignition switch. If you keep the stock switch location, then you can run one long wire from the battery to fuse to switch. The ON side line will really be two lines (assuming you have key switch by headlight). One wire to headlight and a splitter wire to the two ignition coils. This is why I like my switch undeneath my seat because I can run a short RED from battery to fuse to switch and a long red from the switch ON side to the coils (usually up by the tank) to the headlight. Notice that the coils (# 24) are grounded through the condensers (# 26) and the points (#27) via a gray wire. You have to have proper grounds for the points and condensers or you won't go.

All that really leaves us with is the headlight/high beam and taillight/taillight switch hookups. Must I explain that too? Are any of you getting this? I hope so cause it's eating up my night. Am I forgetting anything? Just read the diagram and you can't go wrong. If you follow my "chevy" wiring then I don't think you will have a problem. You have to apply yourself a little bit.
Lemme know if this helps anyone out with these diagrams.
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 21, 2007, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

You didn't mention my pick up coil, and my CDI box. Until all my fancy electronic ignition goes bad, I will leave it as is. If/when it goes bad, I will probably wire up a Boyer ignition, and simplify wiring.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

κανένα αυτό δεν είναι ελληνικά (no this is greek) actually the tx wiring is simple compared to the later model with all the safety cutouts and extra fuses, the extra ground wires might be a bit much but when you consider that most stuff is rubber mounted it only makes sense to run a parallel circuit, one side is hot, one goes to ground, piece of cake
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

I bought two extra ignitor boxes for spares at a total of 50 bucks........Scrounged and found two more stators with pickup coils for free...even grabbed a spare coil for free.....With time these things can be found....The only time they are hard to get is when you need them.....Havn't needed the first electric part in 39,000...knock on wood....Cranks are cheap at the moment....Just bought a spare 78 for $20.99 including shipping and the other day a guy saw me drive by his house and asked a neighbor who I was.....He called me later that day and asked if I wanted a motor he had just to get rid of it...Add it to my other two I scrounged for nothing ..Another freebe....Good 78 crank and clutch and trans..Top end maybe hosed...for free who cares........Bet I could ride this stupid thing to the moon for cheap....Wouldn't need tires for that ride.....Anyway parts should go up in value as the years pass...At least thats what I tell the wife when she sees the horde of junk.......As she calls it......

John
Photo Gallery
cscarroll

PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

Guys,

I'm planing to move my electrics to inside my tank for the cafe racer I'm working on. I'd like to relocate the battery as well. Given that, to save space I'm thinking I'll swap the motorcycle battery for something smaller.

There are alot of 12v Ni-MH batteries typically used for power tools, RC cars, etc. Anyone ever tried this? Granted, I'll not be able to power my starter any more, and may need to adapt the controls on the charging system, but it seemed like a good way to save some weight & space.

Perhaps I'm just smokin' my socks...

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

Inside the tank...........?
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

Batteries Plus sells real low bike batteries if you want small. You can put them in any position. It doesn't say you can but I know cause I ran one on it's side. Worked fine. Quality gel batteries. I don't know if I would fool with power tool small though.
Photo Gallery
cscarroll

PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

xsjohn-

I should elaborate. My "tank" will just be a cover that will hide a fuel cell and all the electrics and battery. I plan to mold the cover out of fiberglass. There are some pics in my gallery of cover that I designed with some high-end CAD software.

-C

Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

Electrical troubles in here. This thread should help some out with the wiring.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

This thread should help some out with the wiring. ??

where's it at tt?

Last edited by jayel on May 23, 2007, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

scroll up...my "chevy" wiring altercation description....for those who want to remove XS wires.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

ah you wrote it out, I was looking for a pic, worth a thousand words you know
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

Yeah I did....the stock schematic was above. Posted by you. I elaborated. If you followed my instructions closely while using it you would have the "chevy" or "chopper" wiring so many of these gentlemen are seeking. I thought my post was helpful. So many of these guys already have clymer or haynes manuals. I didn't want them to waste money on what they could have for free if they followed the schematic and my instruction which I posted. I hope it was thorough enough. Anybody is free to PM me with "chopper" wiring questions.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

yeah piece of cake anyway, I can read a schematic, but if they don't want, say the horn, find the horn, and remove the extra wires, works for the other junk too, just find what you don't want and trace the wiring it uses, can't get into to much trouble right? lol
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

Yeah pretty much...there has just been a couple guys around here that were looking to eliminate some of the wiring but didn't have a real good handle on reading the schematic. The schematic you posted was very self explanatory, really all else that was needed for chopper wiring was explained in the 4th paragraph of my long post.
Photo Gallery
cscarroll

PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

tt,

I found your description most helpful and have saved it for future reference.

-C

Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

Thanks cs, I appreciate it. Just want all you guys to be able to run em the way you want with the least amount of hassle possible.
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

Now if only MSD made a good plug in for my electronic ignition, we'd be set.
Photo Gallery
lerch124

PostPosted: May 29, 2007, 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from Iowa

I would like to thank all who have posted on this subject you all have given me very good advice now all's I need is the time and money. I will keep all of this fo r furture refrence.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1