650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Radian parts?......for the millionth time!

Radian parts?......for the millionth time!
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
jimxsrider

PostPosted: April 22, 2007, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Radian parts?......for the millionth time!

I know the radian question is a frequently asked one, but I still cant find exactly what information I'm looking for.
OK, So I have the Swing arm....actually a whole bike. Can I use the Radian rear wheel and still have the stock radian sprocket line up? I really want to use mag wheels on this bike, especially the radian's because its a little wider. I'd also like to use the radian front end. It has 36 mm front forks. My forks are 34 mm, I know there are also 35mm forks on xs motorcycles. But are there any bikes with 36mm forks that I could take the triple clamps off of, and have them bolt to my bike with no modification of the steering head? Any help is very appreciated!
Jim
sportydriver

PostPosted: August 9, 2007, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Radian parts?......for the millionth time!

I have Radian forks but I used a XS750 triple tree with a Xs650 stem pressed in and tig welded.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Radian parts?......for the millionth time!

If the Radian wheel is wider, what do you plan to do about clearance between the tire and the chain? If the radian wheel is wider, will the sprockets still line up? How could they line up?

Unless somebody knows something I don't know and shares it here, I wouldn't even try what you say you want to attempt.
royfisk

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Radian parts?......for the millionth time!

just cause the wheel is wider dont mean the center hub is. I have never used the radian set up but there is room for wider wheels on these (not much but some). And if the sprockets dont line up depending on how much you can offset the countershaft sprocket. I actually been playing with lacing up modern 17" wheels to stock hubs. For a super motard look.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 1, 2008, 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Radian parts?......for the millionth time!

royfisk -- you're right. Just because the wheel is wider don't mean the center hub is wider. But if the rim is wider then the tire is wider -- and I ain't got more than an eighth of an inch clearance between the tire and the chain running a stock rim. I know there's ways around the problem, but how much do they cost in dollars? And what does it do to offset the countershaft sprocket, as you suggest? Doesn't it subject the countershaft bearings to a load they weren't engineered to take? Do you have to be careful how much and how often you twist the grip?

I assume you know. But I don't. So I ask the questions.

Peace. Smile
royfisk

PostPosted: April 1, 2008, 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Radian parts?......for the millionth time!

offset countershaft sprocket wont hurt your bearing load, (AS LONG AS YOUR NOT GETTING REDICULAS WITH IT). I think up to 3/8 " would be about maximum. Beyond that I would suggest going from the counter shaft to a jackshaft and then to the final drive. But thats pretty wide tire.

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1