650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > INFRARED LAZER THERMOMETER

INFRARED LAZER THERMOMETER
    Forum Index -> All the rest
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 20, 2007, 7:13 pm    Post subject: INFRARED LAZER THERMOMETER

Just got off the express after 50 miles at 70 degrees and measured the temp. Cylinder right at the plug on the hottest place 230 Drgrees... Top cap 130 degrees... Spin on oil filter 130 degrees... Top end cooler temp 110 degrees... The thing is running a bit cold a 70 degrees and I will have to learn to cover the cooler a bit maybe half way at 70 degrees... Can't wait for 90 degrees to see what happens...

20 bucks Harbor Freight until 5/7/07. The smaller one only goes to 230 degrees. This one goes to over 400 degrees.....non-contact surface temperatures

John Underwood

infrared laser thermometer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.96 KB
 Viewed:  3453 Time(s)

infrared laser thermometer.jpg

Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: April 21, 2007, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: INFRARED LAZER THERMOMETER

be nice to see before temps and after temps to see what gains are there. Mayby I will test a couple bikes here just to compare.
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 21, 2007, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: INFRARED LAZER THERMOMETER

Checking mine with temp gun on non motor surface and on oil filter, Which should be the temp of oil flowing through the motor. One hour 50 mile ride into work this A.M. mostly highway with a few stoplights 53 Deg. ambient 150 Deg. filter temp. Leaving work to MC shop, about 1/2 hour city, 73 deg. ambient mid 170's oil filter temp. Way home this afternoon low 80's ambient 183 deg. oil filter.

By these simple checks today it would appear that my XS runs an oil temp roughly 100 deg's above the ambient air temp. I'm sure some serious stop n go traffic would increase that but thank god I didn't get a chance to check that situation out today.

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 21, 2007, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: INFRARED LAZER THERMOMETER

Went to the mountains today 175 mile trip. -- My friends 77 xs ran 28 degrees hotter head temp than mine. -- The louvers and top end cooler is cool. -- Mine has never ran better. -- 76 degrees today. I figure mine will run in mid summer cooler than my friends did today at 76 degrees. -- Good enough. .125 top end restriction hole is right as far as I can tell with the top end cooler.. I still strongly recommend opening the generator cover. -- Like I have mentioned in the past there is nothing there that will get hurt except from heat by leaving it closed. -- Actually the moisture does not condensate in there when it is open.Mine has been open for 7 years and no corrosion. -- Open it pulls a bunch of heat from the engine. Its like putting expensive electronics in the oven, Better to put it in the frig.

I might add that geared 18/29 there was still no way I could use all the power on the 55mph roads here in the NC mountains without killing myself.--3rd and 4th play well in the mountains now--before it was just 5th and a squalling 4th. and no good way to get the 60 or 70 miles home--now--3600rpm 65mph straight home 60 miles express.

Follow UP; Runs perfect 87 degrees today.--Runs like a watch. Head temp 225 degrees instead of 260. These things have a bunch more power if you keep the head temp down.--Can set valves 5 ex and 3 intake.... Super smooth....My cooler never ran more than 135 degrees... Thats ok because the engine will heat the oil up as it cools the top end down......

John Underwood -----Rant
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1