650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > mystery washer

mystery washer
    Forum Index -> Engine
bigj8550

PostPosted: March 2, 2007, 11:16 pm    Post subject: mystery washer

I went to change the oil on my 1983 xs650sk tonight and I found a mystery washer stuck to my drain plug. I don't know where it came from in my engine. I am thinking shift cam or around that area. Any Ideas??
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: March 2, 2007, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: mystery washer

By chance,do you have a supply of hardware and children residing within close proximity of your bike?
landy

PostPosted: March 3, 2007, 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: mystery washer

well......now I unstand why this bike nees two oil filters....
bigj8550

PostPosted: March 3, 2007, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: mystery washer

yes I do have one child that is not allowed into my garage. But that doesn't mean that he has not been in there with out me. I am still not willing to take the chance that this is a spare washer that was accidentaly dropped into the crankcase. Guess the first thing to do is remove the side cover. Thanks
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2007, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: mystery washer

clean that washer up real good and look at it, is it a machine washer(hard polished precision made) or a common stamped washer used for fender/widgit mounting, if it's out of the motor it won't be a common washer
bigj8550

PostPosted: March 5, 2007, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: mystery washer

it is a machined washer. Not a common stamped washer. It also is wider on one side than the other. In other words it is a flange type washer. I pulled off the right engine side cover and looked at it sunday. It doen't look like anything has came apart there. After pulling the oil filter the little bean looking one. I found a lot of metal in the filter really fine metal non ferious. Like aluminum, I wonder if it came from a cam chain ten. or something. But I don't hear anything odd in the engine when it runs?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 5, 2007, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: mystery washer

metal in the filter probably from tensioner bet your bottom filter is full also, so you need to pull down to replace the guide anyway so you'll get to look for that washer, try to post a clear pic of it maybe someone will recognize it
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 6, 2007, 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: mystery washer

I'll bet it's off the end of the tach drive if you or some one lifted the drive out it possible to lose it off the end #8 in pic and the gear grinding on the case would explain the shavings
bigj8550

PostPosted: March 15, 2007, 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: mystery washer

I think that is it. I was in there to replace the tach drive oring. I will go back into the case to check it out. Thanks
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 15, 2007, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: mystery washer

put it on the tach shaft with some grease and you can put it in without pulling the side case unless you want to get a good look at what damage may have occured or clean out debris
5twins

PostPosted: March 15, 2007, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: mystery washer

deleted

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1