650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Can't get the front brakes to bleed out

Can't get the front brakes to bleed out
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
bigj8550

PostPosted: December 28, 2006, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Can't get the front brakes to bleed out

Has any one else had problems getting your front brakes to bleed out? I was doing normal maintiance on my 83 H.S. xs650 and after flushing the brake system my brake will not bleed out. I am getting fluid to the caliper. However I am not getting any pressure on the lever. I will be putting a vaccum pump on it tonight to see if it will bleed out with that. Btw the brakes were fine before I just decided to change the brake fluid while doing other maintaince.
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: December 28, 2006, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get the front brakes to bleed out

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 13, 2009, 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigj8550

PostPosted: December 29, 2006, 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get the front brakes to bleed out

SWEET!! I will try that tonight. If that doesn't work I am rebuilding another caliper I have and will through that on. If that doesn't work then on to the master cyl. Laughing
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 30, 2006, 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get the front brakes to bleed out

there is two holes in the master cylinder one you can see and a small one hidden by the plastic tab at bottom of the reservoir, you have to twist the plastic body sideways to see it, run a fine wire thur it to clean it, if it is blocked the system won't bleed properly also gently tapping the hoses (or used a massager/vibrator) will drive small air bubbles upwards to bleed out the air
bigj8550

PostPosted: January 2, 2007, 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get the front brakes to bleed out

I was going to try the reverse bleeding techinque metioned by 5twins. However I did find the problem before that. The copper washers that I was using were to large. They fit the bolt tight, but the O.D. was too large. They fit into the groove at the caliper. But left no room to crush and seal. Two new smaller O.D. washer took care of the problem. Very Happy
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1