650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Clutch push rod oil seal

Clutch push rod oil seal
    Forum Index -> Engine
flavaz33

PostPosted: April 30, 2005, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Clutch push rod oil seal

I already replaced the push rod seal once and f'ed it up, so she's leakin again Evil or Very Mad ...any tips on installing it safely without damaging it?
Hamamatsu

PostPosted: April 30, 2005, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch push rod oil seal

One of the main reasons a new push rod seal will fail is if you didn't install a new clutch pushrod bushing at the same time you installed the new seal. If you can get your hands on a Mikes xs catalog, it explains in detail with photos exactly what you have to do to install it correctly. If you have installed the new bushing and seal at the same time, then you need to go back over it again. Hamamatsu
Protrucker

PostPosted: June 24, 2005, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch push rod oil seal

I've replaced the clutch pushrod seal in my XS650B three or four times now. I finally realized that it is leaking between the seal & the engine case, not around the pushrod. I have deburred the edge of the case to help prevent shaving the rubber off the outside of the seal, but that didn't help. I've been thinking about using some kind of gasket sealer when I put a new seal in. Any suggestions?
82' XS650 Heritage Special
06' Harley Street Bob
05' Harley Low Rider (wife's ride)
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: June 24, 2005, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch push rod oil seal

Yep. Three Bond 1104 (same as Yamabond #4). Mike's XS has it. Sometimes a little treachery helps with this job; popping a frozen seal into a hot case helps.
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: June 26, 2005, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch push rod oil seal

I must have been lucky on mine. I followed Dwayne's, from 650 Central, on using my pocket knife to trim the edge of the hole it goes in. I don't remember any "Bushing" where the seal went, You said there was a link on MikesXS?
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: June 26, 2005, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch push rod oil seal

Yeah, they differ. I've done that seal on a bunch of XS650 engines; some popped right in without trouble, others were difficult. The bushing is back in the case behind the seal, and has to be pulled by drilling. It's not a real common problem. If the bushing gets so worn that the rod rocks and wears the seal prematurely, it's time to replace it (and the rod too if it shows wear at that contact or is deformed). Mike' XS has procedures and visuals on the site.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1