650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Forks overhaul

Forks overhaul
    Forum Index -> Frames
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Forks overhaul

I need to replace fork seals/dust cover etc. on my 78 SE. Can I simply release the pinch bolts and remove each fork; or do I need to remove Tach/Speedo/ Headlight/Headlight bracket (all that wiring in the headlight bucket !!!) . Just trying to minimize my work.

"Cafe Shop"'s tip of using a threaded rod/nuts to hold the Damper Rod will sure help alot.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

You dont need to touch the clocks &/or clamps (yokes/triple trees)
Leave the forks in the bike, stanchions clamped to the yokes (triple trees to you yanks ?) jack the bike up remove the wheel then unscrew the hex bolt in the bottom of each leg holding the lower fork tubes to the damper rod (recess above where the wheel spindle runs through) pull down the fork tube to seperate from the stanchions/dampers .... reverse sequence to reassemble..easy !
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

xs1961: Thanks for the info; that seems reasonably simple and should save me some work. Did you have any problem removing the hex bolt at the bottom of each fork?
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

only a couple of times over the last 30 years...then I did actually have to remove complete fork from the bike & drill the hex head off...very rare that though as the thread is always in close proximity to oil!
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

any problem removing the hex bolt at the bottom of each fork?

use a good fast air gun, spin those bolts out before they have a chance to think about it, pulling down on the slider at the same time helps too

billc

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

agree with jayel,air gun has not left me down with those few stubborn one's you come across once in awhile.
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

jayel: Fast air gun..........sounds good to me! With all this advice
I've got no excuse if I screw up. Laughing
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: May 27, 2007, 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

Yeah, air impact on an assembled tube is the way to go. I prefer to remove the tubes, though, for two reasons. First off, there's no oil on the damper rod bolt threads (or shouldn't be!) They're assembled with thread locking compound, and it's often necessary to have a helper hold the slider to compress and prevent rotation while you put all the weight you can behind the impact gun to get the bolts broken loose, compressing the spring to keep the damper rod from spinning. Second, you need to reapply thread locker when you reassemble, and no matter how carefully you clean there's usually some fluid hanging around to drip onto the threads unless you have the tubes inverted or at least horizontal.

Whichever way you do it, be sure to clock the upper tubes to the clamps. They acquire a slight sway with use, and that procedure realigns them with the sliders when you reassemble.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 28, 2007, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

All going well on forks overhaul. Hex bolt came out of the bottom of the first fork leg OK; but the second I had to use a 7/16 threaded rod and nuts (as suggested by "cafe shop") to hold the damper rod.
Removing the Oil Seal........... that was real nasty. Didn't have any special seal remover tool so I just worked at it, and it finally came out!!

Need some advice on installing the new oil seal. The old seal was flat along its outer diameter, but the new one has a slight bump on one edge. My guess is the edge with the bump ( larger diameter) would go in last. However, when I look at the construction of the seal, it looks like the side with the manufacturers numbers on it should go in last, which would have the larger diameter going in first. ....... Does this make any sense?

What is everyone using for fork oil? Haynes manual says 10W fork oil.
Can I just use 10W oil or should it be "fork oil"?
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 28, 2007, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

Don't need "fork oil"....I use castrol 20/50 for my whole bike. I need to change the oil in mine before I put it back on the road.....the 20/50 stiffens it up a bit so you don't get that dive when you are under heavy front braking.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 28, 2007, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

UMMM has a post about fork oil he said use lightweight, I use 10W BelRay some people use ATF, if you can't find fork oil you might try it, easy enough to change now the you have the fork cleaned out, just pull the two bleed screws and pump the old stuff out
brasco18
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 1, 2007, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

I am also currently having an issue with my forks. One leaks oil from the hex screw. I didn't know how to take it out as it spun in the tube when I tried to turn it. But just compressing the fork and using an air gun will get it out? It would be great to do that so I can stop leaving oil marks everywhere I park.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 1, 2007, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

If its spinning the damper then you'll have to remove the leg from the frame to compress the spring,make sure its re-fitted with a copper sealing washer
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 1, 2007, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Forks overhaul

Check-out this post for removing fork lower hex bolts:

www.650rider.com/Forum...t=805.html
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1