650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Flattracker - Streettracker > > Streetracker Steering damper ??

Streetracker Steering damper ??
    Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker
S2R-1K

PostPosted: May 18, 2007, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Streetracker Steering damper ??

Hi all,
My friend has finished his streetracker project...will post pix when I can take some.
Question:
Do any of you have any experiance with the Mikes XS steering dampers?

My friend has installed the tapered steering bearing mod and claims the front end is very light and easy to steer.
He is worried about possible head shake.

He would like to install a steering damper of some kind.

Thanks for any and all help,
Stan
tracker79

PostPosted: May 18, 2007, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Streetracker Steering damper ??

Shouldn`t need one, unless he likes the look of it. While your working on the front end throw in a set of progressive springs from mikes xs, it`s money well spent to get rid of that spongy front end.
Photo Gallery
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 19, 2007, 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Streetracker Steering damper ??

If he is going to ride it over 85mph, I would get one under that, and there shouldn't be a need. The springs and a fork brace will help also.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 19, 2007, 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Streetracker Steering damper ??

Snugging the steering head a half tad tight will make all the difference....For me I kept the original bearings that had the bearing dents that you could feel as you turned the wheel slightly....Bought a few dampners until I found that snugging the front until it was slightly tight with the original bearings and ever so slightly notchy at very low speeds made high speed riding super stable..............A compromise for sure that cost nothing......

High speed wobble is an oscillation that feeds upon itself and gets worse as speed increases.....Very nerving to say the least until solved....Some bikes are worse than others......For sure.....Mine would scare the "s" out of you at 75 before adjustment.......

John
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 19, 2007, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Streetracker Steering damper ??

You know John, alot of people knock those old bearings but as long as the races aren't pitted they work excellent.

I may throw a damper on mine cause that front end is scary when you pass 100 mph. I think that it would help substantially at high speed. I have all balls steering bearings and they work good but that front end needs help on every bike when you hit 100 or better.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 20, 2007, 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Streetracker Steering damper ??

Going 100 on one of these things would take steel balls clenched tight and maybe a paramedic........

John
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: May 21, 2007, 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Streetracker Steering damper ??

S2R-1K, oscillation and head shake are two different issues. Oscillation should not be a problem in the XS650 unless the suspension is defective; common causes are slop or uneven action in the steering head or swingarm, wheel(s) out of true and/or balance, uneven damping, springing or sticktion in forks or shocks, frame/swingarm damage.

Head shake is a sudden whipping of the front end, sometimes triggering an oscillation, caused by overreaction to pavement irregularities--bumps or sharp dips, even sudden changes of camber, for example crossing a steep crown in a turn--when the bike's heeled over at speed. There are some conditions that will tweak the front end no matter what you do; so we're dealing with control, not elimination.

Fork flex can cause a whipping action in the front end. The cure is a brace. The next thing to work on is damping action; the better the forks can respond to irregularities, the less chance there is of the front end doing weird things. The best bang for the buck there is cartridge emulators, fork oil selection, straight rate springs tuned to the weight of bike and rider, careful setting of preload, and quality shocks (any weirdness in the rear shows up in front, where the "hinge" is).

Bottom line--your friend's free action at the steering head is a good thing. Unless he's doing serious knee-dragging, a steering damper won't do more than mask underlying problems. My own XS650 is set up with an 18" front rim which reduces rake a bit and would aggravate any tendency to head shake, and it's ridden pretty briskly on choppy, twisty backroads. The tapered rollers are set to the "sweet spot"--just enough tension to eliminate slop. Haven't felt the need for a damper.

PostPosted: May 27, 2007, 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Streetracker Steering damper ??

Hi all,

[b]Thanks to all who replied.....
My friend Don has deceided not to go the steering damper route.
He is like me..older and wiser and respects an older machine.
He will rarely take it over 70MPH. And he will definitly not be riding it like
it owes him money!

PIX OF BIKE TO COME SOON
THANKS AGAIN,
Stan
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 27, 2007, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Streetracker Steering damper ??

If the front is boned down just slightly tight the wobbles the scarry stuff at 70 and above should go away....I have said this many times that I think the old balls and races that are slightly wore and snugged just right are the best dampner...Snugged properly the balls ride in the grooved races and provide a great dampner for straight line stabiltiy....Been doing it for years and it works...An add on dampner woud have to have absolutely no slop to have a chance of working for the slight twich that causes high speed instability...They are good for tank slappers.....I like my old balls.....

Although once you take the front end apart and mis-align the groved races they won't align properly.....Then high speed fun begins........If someone tried to take my tripple tree off I would have to beat them with a BDH= Big Damn Hammer.....39,000 miles and perfect.....

John
Photo Gallery
CornbreadRed
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Streetracker Steering damper ??

Mine has the forks dropped about 11/2" in the trees. I've had it up to a bit over 85 and it runs straight and true.

I agree that a steering damper will probably just mask a bad handling problem.

I think a fork brace is the single best thing you can do along with the swingarm bushings to get the bike to handle well.

Chip

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Streetracker Steering damper ??

quick question
I have the stock damper that goes through the neck of the bike on my 73 tx. is it really doing anything or is it there for looks I found friction pads in good condition I put on the bottom and setup the top end correctly.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Streetracker Steering damper ??

yeah those work but it's old tech not there's anything wrong with that

Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1