650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > hardtails!!!! who does the best work?

hardtails!!!! who does the best work?
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: May 29, 2007, 10:41 pm    Post subject: hardtails!!!! who does the best work?

hi, my name is Russell. i am a new 650 owner, and new to the site. i have never done any custom anything on a bike before. ive stayed pretty much with stock vintage japanese bikes. but i want to build a chopper. i went out a few days ago and bought an engine and frame, because i did not want to chop my current 650. i have no welding skills, so anything that requires welding is out of the question. i also do not want to spend a crap load of money on this project. i want it sweet and simple. so that leaves me with shipping my frame off to get hard tailed. heres the deal, i want a fun project, and eventually later ill take up to doing 100% of the work myself. but for now simple.

whats the deal?

BW choppers. quality? ive read only 2 posts that have negative things to say about them. and those were in 2005. its been 2 years, wouldnt you think they have gotten better? i do like what they offer as frame options, tank, fender, seat. sounds simple to me.

and bill at kansas kustoms, his prices are a bit more ( ill pay for quality), and he can put a tank and fender on my frame.

help?
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 29, 2007, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: hardtails!!!! who does the best work?

Hey russell....why not have someone lathe you out a couple of struts. It can sit nice n low. Cheaper than current weld on hardtails. Then you can spend the saved money on a bore kit, cam, springs, clutch, and headwork. Much funner to go fast than to look cool. Besides, I always thought going fast was looking cool!............oh yeah, like the stones say...paint it black
Photo Gallery
jp1979

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: hardtails!!!! who does the best work?

I had BW weld my hardtail on, it turned out ok. Just the way they mount the center down tube is a little iffy. Next time I will pay more to have a real shop do the hardtail. As far as the tanks, fenders and such, you can get them cheaper off ebay that what he sells them for. BW doesnt have good communication with people either, I emailed him the same question 5 times with no answer.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: hardtails!!!! who does the best work?

Try this bloke..told they're real quality ;
Troy Sheets,email sheets5 @ hotmail.com

His Ebay username is aussie284
Photo Gallery
choppergary

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: hardtails!!!! who does the best work?

Well here is my 2 cent worth... ( I have a little experiance with choppers...)

1. www.tanksbytigman.com (Dave) I own 3 of Daves Frames and have seen others and by far his frames are of the best quality
Daves frames are all out of at least 1.50" DOM and are all tig Welded
His frames run about 800.00 and come with MSO's

2. Las Vegas Kurt (702) 655-6444 Kurt build a nice frame as well for the budget builder his frames run about 400.00 and are made of 1.25" ERW and are Mig Welded (mig is not as pretty as Tig but just as strong)

3. www.bwchoppers.com (Black Widow Choppers) Jesse build a nice frame as well as they also can take you frame and hardtail it (I would recomend a complete frame as you can design it yourself, hartailing your stock frame is good but you have limitations on what the rest of the frame looks like)

4.www.cycleonemanufacturing.com These guys are out of canada and build a nice frame but it gets expensive (well over a grand)

I hope that helps..

Gary
Photo Gallery
choppergary

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: hardtails!!!! who does the best work?

Also By the way,

If your going to build a complete frame spend the few extra bucks and build it to run a 200mm wide tire rather than the stock skinny tire

All mine are wide tire choppers you should be able to see one of them them here

www.650motorcycles.com...yPoh2.html

xs650temp.proboards29....1173904118

Gary
Photo Gallery
choppergary

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: hardtails!!!! who does the best work?

Lets Try This

You can email me @ gary.poh @ rogers-strong.com if you have any questions..

Thx

Gary

276b1357dcc06990901c9684a5967ebc0_medium.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.4 KB
 Viewed:  6409 Time(s)

276b1357dcc06990901c9684a5967ebc0_medium.jpg

misc 271.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.91 KB
 Viewed:  6408 Time(s)

misc 271.jpg

xs650rightrear_img.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.41 KB
 Viewed:  6411 Time(s)

xs650rightrear_img.jpg

Photo Gallery
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: May 30, 2007, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: hardtails!!!! who does the best work?

wow, thanks guys. this is great. i suppose i should have mentioned the type of chopper i want to build. i am in love with the classic bobber style, with a suicide shifter. my budget doesnt allow me to buy a frame. unless its near the same cost as sending mine off to hard tail. but you guys have really been a big help. if you have any more suggestions i would love to hear them. thanks!

PostPosted: June 10, 2007, 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: hardtails!!!! who does the best work?

ok, heres the update. choppergary gave me alot of info to work on. so i made my calls, sent my emails. i have decided NOT to hardtail my frame. but instead to get a frame made. Las Vegas Kurt will be making my frame. i am sure everyone who makes these frames does pretty decent work, but cost wise Las Vegas Kurt is the cheapest, and i spent quite some time on the phone with him talking about what i want, and he in turn spent time explaining to me his process. and so far i am very pleased and happy with everything we have discussed. so that is my decision. thank you for all your help!

now its on to engine and performance!

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 10, 2007, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: hardtails!!!! who does the best work?

I just had this made for me by Troy Sheets & shipped to the UK...Nice job..Nice price..$240 contact sheets5 @ hotmail.com

dsc00840.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.15 KB
 Viewed:  6336 Time(s)

dsc00840.jpg

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1