650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Rear Shock Length

Rear Shock Length
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: March 15, 2005, 8:23 am    Post subject: Rear Shock Length

What is the shortest shock I can go with on a stock 1980 Xs without having my tire rub? I was thinking of putting on some 11" aftermarket HD shocks, Thanks!
Photo Gallery
robertpokerplayer

PostPosted: March 15, 2005, 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock Length

You should be ok with 11" shocks. I know that you can get 11.5" shocks for them so I don't think the extra 1/2" would do much.
Wulf

PostPosted: March 15, 2005, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock Length

It'll also depend on how loaded down you are. If you ride double then you're more likely to bottom out. I'm in the process of getting a set of sportster shocks which are 11" to mount up. I posted some info in the forums on that.
Wulf

robertpokerplayer

PostPosted: March 15, 2005, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock Length

mo650chopper something else you might want to think about (if you didn't know already) is the front forks you can loosen up in the triple trees and slide them up a little. I haven't done it but it seems to me that it might affect the handling a little so I would just to a little at a time.
Jack

PostPosted: March 15, 2005, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock Length

When proceeding to move the forks up the trees , I would go no more than 1mm ,as this effects the rank degrees to some extent and if they're moved up to far and you like to ride hard , this could cause severe wobbling in the front end ,particularly through the curves. So just move them in small increments to experiment............Jack
robertpokerplayer

PostPosted: March 15, 2005, 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock Length

Jack

I understand what you are saying, but if you were to lower the backend at the sametime as long as you don't go to extreme would it really change the rake all that much to really notice. (I don't really know much about rake angles and all that could you go into if you know about it)
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: March 15, 2005, 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock Length

I was hoping to go with some 11" after market big twin HD shocks. Then maybe raisng the forks up through the trees to get it back to level. Get me a tall pair of z bars on some 10" risers, like I had on my pan. I have bigger plans for next winter, I'm aquiring a extra swingarm I want to stretch 3", 11" shocks, cut and line the seating area with the backbone, Then stretch the front frame area up and out then derake with a long front. This year it will be more of a Bobber style.
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: March 16, 2005, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock Length

Go to this site for explanations of motorcycle frame Geometry,cause this is a very complex topic, that exceeds my knowledge to explain in detail what's invloved but keep in mind the the swing angle also has a major roll in how a motorcycle acts in performance and when it involves the XS,I feel that if one whats to improve the steering of the XS or handling, replace the swing arm with the Radian arm (replace shocks with atleast 13.5 or 14 inch shocks with this arm) replace steering head bearings and replace the 19 front with a 18 for quicker steering. Now again these are my opinions and they maynot suit you needs.........Jack Laughing

www.jpcycles.com/Tech/...htalk6.htm
Wulf

PostPosted: March 16, 2005, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock Length

Hey Jack, got a question for ya. You stated above "replace the swing arm with the Radian arm (replace shocks with atleast 13.5 or 14 inch shocks with this arm)". Were you refering to the swing arm from a YX 600 Radian?
Wulf

mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: March 19, 2005, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock Length

Bought and installed some 11" after market HD Big Twin shocks today. Had to do a little engineering on the top and bottom mounts. On the top I removed the sleeve from the top bushing as it would not fit over the XS stud, so I slid the shock on, installed a flat washer a little smaller that would tighten inside agaisnt the bushing then a lock washer and then the stock XS flat washer and acorn nut. On the bottom I cut off the outside piece of the stock shock mount on the swingarm, then drilled out the bolt hole and tapped it to 1/2" thread. I used a flat washer on each side of the lower shock mount and then lock washer, bolt. Works like a champ, a little rough but looks good & low. Rather be rough than have the ride of the weak stock ones, and these are nice new chrome without the rust of my old ones!
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 2, 2006, 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock Length

Slight modification you might try. I have a 73 TX650 took the swing arm off a 79 XS 2 inches longer replaced the brushings with bronze and put 13.5" shocks to compensate for the new length. works fine
Photo Gallery
achillesinvention

PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock Length

I've heard some people putting Savage shocks on the back. I'm looking to build a nice low, mean soft tail out of my 79 special. I plan to cut the fram off at the shock mounts and stretch the swingarm about 3". I usually ride solo, but may sometimes take the woman out. If I rake the front about 10º to a total of about 35-38º and stretch the swingarm, will the savage shocks work - and if so, what length do you think I'll need?

Thanks - I'm a noob, but I'm catching on...ever so slowly.

Blake
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: May 21, 2007, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock Length

Having just gone through this.......ie lowering rear by going to 11.5" shocks and also lowering front end by .75" via sliding fork tubes up........I'd just like to remind all that two surprises (apart from handling issues yet unknown) are a resultant tricky side stand height tip over danger and real difficulty getting the bike on the centerstand. Just be aware. Especially of the side stand balance issue.

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1