650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > stupid wiring question

stupid wiring question
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
jialeggio

PostPosted: May 16, 2007, 12:58 am    Post subject: stupid wiring question

Hey all,
Im a little embarassed by this question; Ive owned my chopper for a couple years, driven it across the country (seattle to VT) and done most of the work myself. I consider myself mechanically inclined, blah blah blah.
BUT:
The wiring on my chop was a hack job, and shorted out when I was stripping the bike down over the winter to touch up the frame, so now I have to rewire it myself. This is scary.
The forums here are great, I have the diagram for the chopper wiring, I found Slicks chopper site which is awesome too, but my question is this:
None of these diagrams include things like, where does the headlight fit in?
Is it just a charging system, headlight not included?
So any help/ slaps in the head would be appreciated; I'll post this in the electrical section too.
thanks
james
ttmaniac

PostPosted: May 16, 2007, 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: stupid wiring question

Run power to a switch, then to your headlight, then ground the headlight to the frame somewhere. If you trace wires carefully in your haynes manual you cannot go wrong. Wiring is simple. Even an idiot like me can do it. Just trace VERY carefully. No "chopper" wiring diagram needed. Whoever is selling those diagrams is ripping off the 650 community at large. Let me know how it comes out.
Photo Gallery
hesredbird

PostPosted: May 16, 2007, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: stupid wiring question

I don't know what bike you have but I found this really great diagram for a XS650 (I have an 80-G) with electronic ignition. I can't remember where I got it tho. I colored the wires from the original and added fuses.

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1