650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > Front end replacement / With what?

Front end replacement / With what?
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: March 23, 2005, 10:56 am    Post subject: Front end replacement / With what?

I would like to re-do the front end on my bike, I know the shock oil needs to be replaced if for no other reason but age. But if I wanted to do a upgrade without to much "SHOP" work what would be a better front shock system to replace the stock setup with and would I need to change the trip tree clamps?
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: March 25, 2005, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end replacement / With what?

Russo..........This is just a suggestion but there seems to be alot of interest in swapping the whole front section from a 86 to 88 FZR 600 to the XS and these have 38 mm forks ,so any flexing issues are out the door with this set up. Now any time you start swapping parts,you'll most definately run into a snag or two and machine work to some degree will be invlove,this two just go hand and in hand everytime........Jack
grizld1

PostPosted: June 20, 2005, 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Front end replacement / With what?

Sorry this reply is so late; I just found your site, Russo. IMHO, the 35mm fork supplied on the later XS650's is an adequate unit for serious riding when properly set up. Race-Tech cartidge emulators have given me excellent results. These are auxilliary valves which sit on top of the damping rods and, to make a long story short, enable the fork to vary its response to different kinds of bumps. I've installed them in my XS650D (in 1981 tubes) and my 2003 Zook SV650. Installation involves removing the damper rods, enlarging the existing holes to 5/32", adding a third pair of 5/32" holes, and chamfering all six holes inside and out (you'll need a Dremel or other rotary tool for this). Proper aftermarket fork springs for the setup are difficult; progressively-wound springs defeat the purpose of the emulators, and that's about all that's being offered now. Traxxion Dynamics will have a pair of custom single-rate springs wound for you for
about $125 and their tech support guys will telll you what you need. With the emulators and a quart of fork oil, the total for the job (if you do your own work) is about $300 and it's worth every penny. I'm very serious about suspension, and run that set-up with a custom-laced 18" front rim and 13.25" custom alloy-body shocks from Works in the rear (650 riders don't like to discuss it but the high, heavy camshaft makes for a top-heavy scoot; getting the nose down and the tail up just a bit does wonders for getting the steering more linear). Mike's XS sells a tubular steel fork brace that works well; I run an alloy tweak-bar, and an outfit called TCAT currently produces something similar. I assume you've gone to tapered roller bearings in the steering head and either bronze bushings or needle bearings in the swingarm. If not--first things first!

Don't know why you'd want to replace the triple tree clamps unless you were going to different tubes, but the only issues there are angle and bearing diameter. If you have an early 650 with 34mm short-travel forks, the later 35mm steering head/triple tree will fit. Good luck!

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1