650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > rewiring for a 75 points

rewiring for a 75 points
    Forum Index -> Electrical
borjawil

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 7:24 pm    Post subject: rewiring for a 75 points

so rewiring(cleaning up po's wiring), a 75 xs 650 and i had two questions possibly leading to more.

1) the 3 white wires coming off of the rectifier going to the stator/alternator, do they have to match up in a certain order? Becuase they have been cut and im not sure if the wires have to match to a certain one.

2) are all the stators/alternators from the 75 to the newer xs's with tci the same in wiring? as in do the white all go to the white wires and the other wires go to the same path/devices?

I have a stator that was not the original, and came off another bike. so i dont know if it was a newer one or not.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: rewiring for a 75 points

1. No. Any white wire to any white wire works.
2. Yes. Except that the black wire in the early models goes to a grounded brush. Later models, the black wire is replaced by a brown wire that goes to switched battery, but they are interchangeable, except that if you are going to use a later model reg/rect on an earlier model stator, you have to isolate the grounded brush with three nylon screws and apply switched fused battery to the brush.

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: rewiring for a 75 points

great. one more question.

As i was trying to figure out the ignition wiring, i have an after market ignition that is round and screws through the battery box.

it has three posts to connect to. one has the letters "IG "by it, "L" by another, and "B" by the other. with the original ignition we have a red, brown and red/yellow wire. which post is which?

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: rewiring for a 75 points

i think you're saying it's a ignition key switch? B is Battery (RED) IG should go to the IGnition coils (Brown) L is to the headLight switch, look at/for the 75-76 wiring dia. in my (jayels album)

Last edited by jayel on November 12, 2009, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
borjawil

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: rewiring for a 75 points

great thanks, and yes i meant key switch. Not sure what the person was thinking that wired this thing, but they were way off. A monkey could of done better.

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: rewiring for a 75 points

Ran into something else. heres the diagram im following for a simple wiring for points.

as you can see the coils brown wires connect and go to the ignition (i dont have a kill switch on my bike). now the orange and grey wires off the coils (both of mine are orange) go to their separate points (pick-ups) and condensers. however i believe only one condenser is used per bike.

so my question is how do i wire that? do i connect one wire of the condenser to the orange and the other wire of the condenser to the grey? Then connect one wire coming from the pick-up/points housing to the orange wire and then one to the grey wire?

one other thing. the wires coming from the points/pick-ups are red and white. does it matter which i connect?

basic points-simple wiring.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.34 KB
 Viewed:  2382 Time(s)

basic points-simple wiring.jpg

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: rewiring for a 75 points

the condensers are a pack (two condensers in one) with the metal case as the common ground to frame one wire to each points wire then to one side of each coil, other side of the coil is hot from the key (with no kill switch you're tied in to the brown wire) so hot wire brown may change to Red/White splits to one side of each coil other side goes to one condenser and one set of points, top set is right side coil and cylinder

chopper.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.4 KB
 Viewed:  1720 Time(s)

chopper.jpg

timing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.79 KB
 Viewed:  539 Time(s)

timing.jpg

borjawil

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: rewiring for a 75 points

right the brown from the coils just goes to the brown wire that ties to the ignition key.

so for the condenser and coils and points the wiring would go:

one points wire connected to one coil with the one condenser wire connected inbetween the two as in the wiring diagram.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 12, 2009, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: rewiring for a 75 points

yep, just as long as you get the correct cylinder to the correct set of points you're on your way

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1