650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Jim's Hard Tail Project

Jim's Hard Tail Project
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
Rick_in_PDX

PostPosted: October 22, 2009, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Hard Tail Project

tank is huge cool looking!, I myself think the bars look better the otherway....
Some people will say that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this,,,,, Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube,That is why God made fast motorcycles—Hunter S
jimxsrider

PostPosted: October 23, 2009, 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Hard Tail Project

I am actually going to try to use a sediment bowl from briggs and stratton. It has a valve and filter built it, and the bowl part is see through glass. I'll post a picture soon. The threads in the tank and in the sediment bowl are the same so i just bought a brass coupler(nipple) to screw the two together. Its sorta hard to explain, but i will post a picture. The only thing im not shure about is if it will fit between the engine and the tank..... I have the bowl, I just havent put it on the tank while its on the bike....the whole unit can be found at any place that services lawn tractors and things of that nature.
TeeCat

PostPosted: October 23, 2009, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Hard Tail Project

jim... nice!

Hey, I have an idea. I don't know what your plan is for a rear fender, but if you're concerned about space between your rear wheel/fender and the back of the seat, you could visually reduce it by putting a creatively fashioned faux oil can there... maybe house some otherwise unsightly electrics, or maybe use for a little tool kit. That's a pretty tank, and you could echo the scheme of the tank on the "can". I'm not sure I have ever seen anyone use that space that way before, and it might be a bit of a signature for you.

Just a thought.

TC
Photo Gallery
jimxsrider

PostPosted: October 23, 2009, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Hard Tail Project

Thanks guys! Ive got the original chrome front fender, I had it on there on a couple of the older pictures, just not shure if I like it though. TeeCat, I thought about the fake oil tank and stuff, But I just wasn't shure how I would pull it off and still make it look different..... Still a good thought, I do want some kind of storage on the bike that is removable. Im thinking about an aluminum fender and polishing it and doing a paint skeme like the tank. Thanks for the input!!!!
jim
Dirka

PostPosted: October 24, 2009, 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Hard Tail Project

jim,

can you post a pic of the right side of your front wheel. i am trying to come up with ideas to lower your front end. i need to see how your caliper is mounted to know if my idea will work. thanks.
Teebs

PostPosted: October 24, 2009, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Hard Tail Project

I really like the way this is going, and that tank. Sick.

Only two ways I can see to keep it that low.

1. Have someone shorten the lowers, making sure the tops of the lower tubes don't rub on the tire.
2. Rake out the front, changing the entire look of the bike.
jimxsrider

PostPosted: October 25, 2009, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Hard Tail Project

Thanks alot Teebs! I was wondering if shortening the lower legs would be possible, I will have to do alittle research. I was thinking about going to a springer style front end. But it has to be the original harley style, I dont like the ones made of round tubing and stuff. Then I could get a shortend one and probably keep it arround the same height. But that would bring another problem, because i want to use an xs front drum brake hub. need to compare axle sizes and such to figure out that one.
dirka, yeh, I can try to get a pic on here by the end of the week...
thanks for the comments!

jim
jimxsrider

PostPosted: November 7, 2009, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Hard Tail Project

dirka, here is the front wheel picture you wanted.
danxs650mass, Here is also a picture of the sediment bowl, which i found out will not clear my engine in the position it is in, so some elbows and an extension of sorts may be in order, or I'll just find something else.

dsc01287.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  271.33 KB
 Viewed:  253 Time(s)

dsc01287.jpg

dsc01294.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  257.07 KB
 Viewed:  258 Time(s)

dsc01294.jpg

estewart

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Hard Tail Project

about the lowering issue, couldn't you slide the shocks up on the triple trees to the ride height you want?
danxs650mass

PostPosted: November 9, 2009, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Hard Tail Project

hey thanks for the pic of the sediment bowl good idea but to big like you said to fit on the tank i have the same front brake let me know what you come with for a brake line for that one i changed the rear wheel to a 16 inch and really like the look it gives much better than the 18 that was on the bike
Dirka

PostPosted: November 10, 2009, 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Hard Tail Project

no dice. my idea wont work

a springer makes sense though.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2