650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Bad day

Bad day
    Forum Index -> Engine
benjamoid14

PostPosted: September 22, 2009, 11:10 am    Post subject: Bad day

So I bought my xs a few weeks ago with a top end noise and 1 dead cylinder. I was hoping that it was something in the cam chain making noise and mabey a bad plug or something. But last night my fears were confirmed, I did a compresson test on it and the dead side had 0 compression Sad I have done a little research and have seen a few guys with a hole in the piston, i looked through the spark plug hole and it looks ok but i cant see the whole thing. The motor is coming out in a few days, hopefully its a bent valve or something...

PostPosted: September 22, 2009, 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day

Just pop on a leak down tester and see where its coming from. Did you check the other side for compression? what was it at? Did you hold open the throttle while checking? Reason i ask is because even bad engines usually have some compression. If you don't hold open the throttle you wont get much at all.
benjamoid14

PostPosted: September 22, 2009, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day

Well the right side had bout 120, and the left had 0, the guage didnt even jump. No I wasnt hitting the throttle when I did it. There is a wicked loud ping noise from the top end at all rpms, the left exhaust never gets hot, and it litterly sprays oil out the left muffler...

I pulled the valve cover things and the valves all move when I kick it. I also pulled the plugs and they both look ok, old but not damaged. Also I am getting spark on both sides.

Last night i pulled the wiring harness out and pretty much got it to a frame with an engine bolted in, so no more diag. Just gotta pull the engine and start tearing it down.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 22, 2009, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day

That "ping" probably a valve hitting the top of the piston. I broke a valve spring retainer& that's the sound it made. Gotta tear into it . Don't run it anymore, as you will end up doing more damage. Easy check is to check the valve clearance, a bent valve will have allot of clearance. If you did bend one, make sure you check the valve guide carefully for crack's, don't want a piece of that falling into a fresh top end job.
benjamoid14

PostPosted: September 22, 2009, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day

Well I have only ran it for a total of about 5 min, just to try to pinpoint the noise more. I have no idea how long the old owner ran it like that though. Hopefully not long, and hopefully your right about just being a bent valve. thats cheaper then pistons and such.

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day

Well i pulled the motor the other day and tipped the motor on its side and oil was pouring out of the exhaust port... Pretty convinced that there is a hole in my piston.

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day

thats a bummer i am working on repairing the same thing on my bike

keep the updates to let me know how it goes

good luck

Pamco Electronic Ignition
Green Monster Coil
Photo Gallery
benjamoid14

PostPosted: October 20, 2009, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad day

Im doing my hardtail right now, engine will be a project for later in the winter.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1