650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Stock Parts > > 71 carburetor holders

71 carburetor holders
    Forum Index -> Stock Parts
chef.tay

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 8:19 pm    Post subject: 71 carburetor holders

I'm looking for a set of the carburetor boots for the 71 xs1b. One of mine is starting to crack a bit and mikes doesn't carry them...

Anybody have a solution?

Thanks

Taylor
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

I was going to ask the same question in reference to my '73; I plan on doing a preemptive change in the near term. I'm sure that any information would be appreciated by Taylor and me, at the very least.

Thanks!

TC
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

I wonder about some of that liquid rubber stuff they use to coat tool handles or even a good silicon rubber RTV like permatex makes......
TeeCat

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

jayel wrote:
I wonder about some of that liquid rubber stuff they use to coat tool handles or even a good silicon rubber RTV like permatex makes......

You know... that might be a great fix! Seems viable to me! You'd coat the outside diamater, I suppose?

TC
Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

yeah that's what i was wondering also..

Could you do the inside aswell so that it would tighten up the fitting?
Photo Gallery
MAXIM

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

I know of the product, have used it before, but never on rubber, it might work. It's called Plasti Dip. Available at plastic supplie stores, some auto stores. Worth the try, about $24.00 for the dip can last time I saw it. Good luck ! Smile
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

chef.tay wrote:

the copper colored permatex hi-temp stuff turns to almost a rubber it would really tighten up the fit but would seal any gaps put it on and let it set-up should work ok

TeeCat

PostPosted: October 14, 2009, 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

jayel wrote:
chef.tay wrote:

the copper colored permatex hi-temp stuff turns to almost a rubber it would really tighten up the fit but would seal any gaps put it on and let it set-up should work ok

chef, what was the resolution to this? I'd like to replace mine, too, to eliminate a possible leak source, but can't find boots for my '73. I was wondering if this worked, or if the holders for the '74 and up would fit if we used vacuum blind plugs.

TC
Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: October 14, 2009, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

I tryed a product called seal-all that is gas and oil resistant and just coated the inside of the holder and let it dry a little and then tested my bike again but my plug was still blackened.

I took the whole bloot off my engine and inspected it and It didn't look like there were any cracks on the inside portion of the boot...

I think that my leak might be coming from the flot bowl gasket because one of the screws holes that keep it on are severly stripped which probably reduces the seal....... I need to re-tap the hole and get it fixed I think.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

chef.tay wrote:
but my plug was still blackened.

Signs of a leak in the manifolds would be a white plug, if the boots are leaking, you'd be leaning out, extra air.

TeeCat

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

Meh... see, in my case, I've never had a white plug. If anything, my plugs are dark, though I have never done an actual chop, and my bike was getting a lot of idle/tuning time. I have stock jetting, pods. Bike pulls hard and runs well, except for the schizo idle.

TC
Photo Gallery
chef.tay

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

hmm, that's weird.

I used to have an extremely black plug on the right cylinder and i tracked that to a little tear in my carburetors diaphragm...

...changed the diaphragm and that right side is fine.

What could be the problem for this left side then if all my assumptions lead to it being too lean instead of rich?
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

Diaphragm is a different matter to manifolds, if a manifold leaks, it sucks air into the air/fuel mixture being delivered to the cylinder.

If a diaphragm leaks, the slide doesn't operate as it should, a certain amount of fuel still makes it through, but the air supply is greatly reduced, resulting in a rich mixture, blackening the plugs.

chef.tay

PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 carburetor holders

hmm, I guess that does make sense.

Now i'm stumped on my left side haha... oh well.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Stock Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1