650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Headlight and Turn Signal Problems

Headlight and Turn Signal Problems
    Forum Index -> Electrical
inbrick

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 6:49 pm    Post subject: Headlight and Turn Signal Problems

Hello all,

I'm new to this site, to XS650's, and to motorcycles in general. I've been clicking around on this site trying to find help with some electrical issues I've been having, and it looks like the advice is really good, so I decided it's time to post a question specific to my bike.

I have a 1980 xs650g Special II. I've ridden about 500 miles on it, and have noticed some problems with the turn signals and head light.

Turn signals: sometimes they work just fine, sometimes they don't work at all, and sometimes they light but don't flash. When they light but don't flash, there's a kind of whining noise coming from the right side under the tank, where I think the flasher unit is. All of the bulbs seem to work fine. Any ideas how to get the flashers to work normally?

Head light: Worked great for about 400 miles, and recently has stopped working. I turned it on one day and no light - I rode for about five minutes and it started working again. Since then, every time I've started it, it hasn't worked. I've checked a few wiring things based on the repair manuals I have, but am brand new to electrical work in general, and am getting extremely frustrated. Here's what I know.

Headlight
Works fine when wire straight from positive battery terminal to Dark Green wire going into headlight. When wired normally, it doesn't light, whether in High or Low beam.

Safety Relay
Yellow wire to black: 6VDC
Blue/Black to Red/Yellow: 1.2V DC
Red/White to Red/White: 12VDC

Reserve Lighting Unit
No voltage on any wires

Any information anyone might have about the turn signals or the headlight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
InBrick
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight and Turn Signal Problems

dirty connections are the first place to look unplugging and cleaning everyone is where to start there are several threads in the vault forum that will help
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight and Turn Signal Problems

Have an 80 myself....... spend a couple "more days" and clean every electrical connection well with some sandpaper and using dielectrecic grease .........including the kill switch and every connection you can find (including the larger multi connnecors.... 2 pair of pliers) and mark them as cleaned and ignition switch and the large connectors....coil wires too..... if not there will be continual problems..... handle bar switches included...... major hassel but required............"""every conection""" .....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight and Turn Signal Problems

brick, I also have a G. Headlight is usually either the fuse block on top of the battery, or the hi/lo switch.The reserve lighting unit can be jumped by connecting the two blue wire's together, one is blue/white, other is blue/red.That can give problem's as well.
The signal's could also be not getting enough voltage because of the fuse's. As John stated, clean & lube every wire connection & connector. The wire's come out of the connector's easy enough with a small flat screwdriver or pick. Do one wire at a time so as not to mix them up.
Back to the signal's. The flasher could be heading south on you. You can get a replacement at any auto part's store. Those one's have only two blade's instead of the three on the stock one. Just leave the wire that goes to the canceling unit off. The signal's will work correctly, except that you will also have to shut them off after the turn.
If you can, go to knuckle buster's .com for the wiring diagram that is readable. Smile

inbrick

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight and Turn Signal Problems

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I will try cleaning everything. No worries about the canceling unit not working - it already doesn't work, and I almost always remember to turn off the flasher manually.

InBrick
inbrick

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight and Turn Signal Problems

I haven't had time to clean the connections yet, due to full time studies and part time work, but I replaced the signal flasher, and the signals work great now. Thanks for the advice, gordo.

InBrick
Joseph

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight and Turn Signal Problems

How do I go about taking the front blinkers off. I have to replace them because the right one is smashed. Still lights though.
Photo Gallery
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 9, 2009, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight and Turn Signal Problems

Joey, the end's are in the headlite bucket. When you remove them, I believe you need to replace the stem's with 10 mm bolt's.Or the headlite will fall off.If your just replacing them, just do one at a time. Make sure that the black wire with the ring on it goe's between the stem & the attaching nut.
Joseph

PostPosted: October 10, 2009, 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight and Turn Signal Problems

Thanks, So what do I do twist them. I don't see how to get them out. I'll put some time into it later I realy just took a quick look but didn't see how to get them off.
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: October 10, 2009, 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight and Turn Signal Problems

Take the nut off of the threaded, hollow bolt and just kinda pull and wiggle 'em out.

Those turn signals stick too far out. I trimmed mine down.

Joseph

PostPosted: October 10, 2009, 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight and Turn Signal Problems

Ya im going to go with something much shorter, and mostlikely led. Might even change the location. I'll post some pics when I'm done. It is going to be a while, maybee not till next season.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1