650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?
    Forum Index -> Frames
nickmo

PostPosted: July 27, 2009, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

After I tear this bike down It'll be time to put some thought into fabbing the frame. I've seen and heard over and over that DOM is the way to go. Is that the truth? Is there something else that's qualified to do the job? If DOM is the way to do it that's fine, I just want to have my ducks in a row before I get started. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

jerseykat1

PostPosted: August 4, 2009, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

All the cool kids use DOM. Sorry I am not helping much.
Greenbean3521

PostPosted: August 4, 2009, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

?DOM? Sorry Im a noob!
Jack

PostPosted: August 4, 2009, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

That would be the norm unless you wanna go moly.
Teebs

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

Stick with DOM tubing. There are some very good threads over on thechopperunderground about this. Guys like blackjack and blacksmith billy can steer you in the right direction. There are some really heated discussions on this subject, mainly whether using black pipe is as safe as DOM. It's not, but some people will argue otherwise.

D.O.M. = drawn over mandrel = seamless tubing.
nickmo

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

I've heard it both ways. Has anyone heard of a build falling apart because of the tubing choice? I wouldn't jeopardize my safety for a few bucks, but I've heard that a lot of factory bikes are made of high grade mild steel.
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

Hi Nick, DOM is the standard tubing of choice. No disrespect but the very fact you have to ask is a red flag! We ALL start somewhere and building a frame is not a good place to start. My first frame was done by “Dave the Tigman” and glad I left it to a pro. I think it’s great that so many people (notice I did not say guy’s, I know female builders) are feeling creative and wanting to build, it’s good and rewarding. But these things are dangerous enough when built well never mind when built not so well and when I started (I’m still not a pro) I did not have the skill’s to do it safely myself. Again Nick NO DISRESPECT only good advice. If you do decide you want as much of a role as possible I advice that you make a jig and get frame together and then bring the whole thing to a pro for finish welding and you can still play a big role in it’s making. Good luck Nick I’m sure you’ll do just fine.
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

Again Nick I realy am just trying to help, not trying to criticize, like I said I had help too no shame in that Wink those guy's do it for a living and will save you some aggrivation Mad
nickmo

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

Everyone,
Thanks for the info. It is very much appreciated.

Gordon,
I gotta tell you, I was a little pissed off that you were throwing red flags around, particularly in my direction. After some thought, I realized that you have no idea what my intentions are (and I'm over being pissed off by the way). I posted a question with limited information, so that would be my fault. My plans are this: Draw up a rough idea of what I like, research-research-research, finalize my plans, have the tubing bent, jig it up and tack it, ask a REAL welder what he thinks, let him proceed with the welding if everything jives, take it home, mock it up, torque it down, and see if it's fit. (condensed)

I learned how to weld ten years ago and have fabbed a small handful of creations since, none of which held my fate in their hands. I know my limitations very well and asking for help has long since been removed from the list of things that damage my self-esteem. I have two young boys, and killing myself on a home built rattle trap is waaaaaay at the bottom of my list, right next to being buried alive. Although I will not be 100% involved in the build, I am in charge of buying all of the materials which is the reason I asked the question.

If DOM is the way to get it done then thats what it'll be. I really do appreciate your advice and I'm glad to have a good group of guys to help me stay out of harms way, especially on pivotal decisions. As things progress I will start posting pics and keeping everyone in the loop on the build progress.

Nick

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

Greenbean3521 wrote:
?DOM? Sorry Im a noob!
Drawn Over Mandrel,
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...(material)

Teebs

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

Way to go, Scott. Always kicking hornet's nests aren't ya? Laughing Seriously though, you said exactly what I was thinking, but in a far more diplomatic way. Nick really would have been pissed at me. Not sure why someone would get pissed at all in that situation. All you did was give him good, sound advice that anybody should be able to appreciate.

I've seen a frame done with black pipe bend over a very short length of time, something DOM will not do, and since ALL of the pros use it, it seems like this would be the obvious choice.

By the way, Scott, I saw your ride go on ebay. Got sick of that sporty tank, didn't ya? Very Happy
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

Teebs wrote:
Way to go, Scott. Always kicking hornet's nests aren't ya? Laughing Seriously though, you said exactly what I was thinking, but in a far more diplomatic way. Nick really would have been pissed at me. Not sure why someone would get pissed at all in that situation. All you did was give him good, sound advice that anybody should be able to appreciate.

I've seen a frame done with black pipe bend over a very short length of time, something DOM will not do, and since ALL of the pros use it, it seems like this would be the obvious choice.

By the way, Scott, I saw your ride go on ebay. Got sick of that sporty tank, didn't ya? Very Happy
Ya Teebs that tank is an old look, time to update Laughing NICK: I should have PM'd you my thoughts instead of doing it in public. I am NOT a real welder either and my post was not ment to humiliate, I apoligize agian for the 3'rd time, did not know if you were a 16yo kid starting out or what? I'm learnig my place on this board and will try to just focus on posts relevent to my builds, at least then I'll know what I'm talking about. goodbye Smile

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

nickmo, I would have said the same as gordonscott. You didn't make your self clear as to your capabilities or plan, plus you had to ask about the differences in tubing. That leaves the safety issue, and the concern for your well being.

Gordonscott, you were right to post a public answer, if a question is asked in public then the answer is of a benefit to all. nickmo didn't make himself clear as to his capabilities and your experience is of great benefit.

"The only stupid question is the one not asked"
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

Gordonscott..........YOU OWN NOW ONE AN APOLOGY for your sincere concern of one's safety when it comes reconstructing a motorcycles frame,there are a lot idiots in this world who just simply jump in head first without checking the depth of the water.
nickmo

PostPosted: August 5, 2009, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

No one owes anyone an apology. A public response is correct. I had my wife read my response and it apparently came across a little more bitter than I had intended. I didn't mean to hurt anybodys feelings. I appreciate all of the help, and I will heed the given advice.

I didn't mean to kick up the dust Shocked

gordonscott

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

It's all good Very Happy
Luke4554

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

chromoly is always nice too.. but if your not made of money DOM is where i would go. HREW tubing isnt bad and can be used very well if properly bent. Most people bend it incorrectly and thats where its structural integrity is lost. If you intend on cheaping out on electro weld tubing just make sure the monkey who is bending your tubing is putting the electro weld on the inside radius of the bends. Stretching the weld seam the length of the outer radius will severly decrease the structural integrity of the tube.

.. and for god sakes dont use pipe

Luke =)
timber

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

there are a bunch more questions i would have before saying using one type of tubing over another. like many have said depends on your understanding of what your doing. DOM is a good way to go but now if you try to save some $$ and go with something than has a wall of .085 and smaller maybe you should go with ERW tubing and go with .120 wall.

alot of things like is this a hardtail? has alot od stretch in the frame, goosenecked, a swingarm frame? racing frame? weekend/town blaster?

stay away from cromoly, most people dont have an idea how to propery work with it and even more so how to properly weld it.

stay away from black gas/water pipe. yes it truely can be used if done correctly but you lose all advantage in it will weigh more than two stock frames done properly.

stay away from 1" any wall DOM tubing or any type of 1" tubing for a hardtail. your better off going with larger for the strength. yes it matters. the larger the tubing the stronger it is across the section of tubing.

all in all if your asking use 1 1/8" x .120" wall DOM tubing. 1 1/8" tubing is super close to the stock size tubing and just looks better.
Luke4554

PostPosted: September 24, 2009, 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

i would never run down a highway with pipe between my legs regardless of what shade-tree mechanics have done in the past .. pipe is rated for burst pressure .. tube is rated for tensile strength.

.. besides tubing isnt THAT expensive .. if you cant afford to do it correctly dont do it at all. Would you make a roll cage out of pipe and trust your life to it? .. theres a reason they dont certify roll cages and chassis EVER for pipe.

Not trying to stir up trouble.. but honestly.. the price difference isnt worth it.

" You've gotta pay .. to play "

Luke Shocked
1badzuk

PostPosted: September 24, 2009, 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

good structual quality PIPE has better strength properties than similar tube
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 24, 2009, 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fabbing a frame-DOM or ?

A pipe is something you smoke!
You will find that naturally, pipe is better at some things than tube, that's why we have pipe............Pipe is made as a conduit for liquids or gasses. And the right product for the right application works perfectly well.

Stuff sold off as "structural pipe" is flogged off because it failed it's quality exam. Fine for making parking meters or balustrading etc. But motorcycles?????????

To have any verifiable structural integrity, in particular with chassis/frame parts. You can only use tube.

So stick that in ya pipe & smoke it Mr. Green

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1