650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Stripping wheels?

Stripping wheels?
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
baclay9

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Stripping wheels?

I have the mag wheels on my xs and was curious what is the best way to strip them to get them ready for paint? Is the black paint or powder? I eventually want to get them powder coated but cant afford it right now. Thanks.

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping wheels?

hey bro, i tried a couple of things and hopefully someone has a better and easier way, but i've found that sandpaper is my only friend right now and and time isn't Confused hope it goes easier for you
Photo Gallery
silverfox

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping wheels?

no need to strip them. have a look at. DRIVE . MAG PAINT JOB

www.650rider.com/index...pic&t=3650

baclay9

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping wheels?

Do they have some kind of clearcoat on them? It doesn't look like it but I wasnt sure. I think I am going to paint them silver and see how I like it.

I plan to paint the frame gloss black. The lower fork tubes silver. The tins will be a metalflake dark green.

Do you think the wheels will look better silver or black? I can't make my mind up.

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping wheels?

If you're looking for them to be silver you can use a product called ZipStrip made for airplanes to remove paint from alluminum. You're still gonna have to sand though. Or you could shove a rag in the bearings and use duct tape to cover them and use a bead blaster with glass bead or baking soda for the media and it makes them very nice looking. I never even took tires off the ones I did on a KZ440
baclay9

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping wheels?

jmstrand wrote:
If you're looking for them to be silver you can use a product called ZipStrip made for airplanes to remove paint from alluminum. You're still gonna have to sand though.

Dang it, I was hoping I could just wish the old paint off before I went to bed tonite and they would be purdy in the morning. I hate sanding. LOL Guess I better get to work.

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1