650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

650 Rider verses 650 Garage
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
MAXIM

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Mike ! Thank you for what you do. I have been riding for 41 years now and have watched as the great bikes and their parts disappear with great sadness. I have just bought 2 xs650's, based largely on the fact that you exist and provide everybody with the oppertunity to rebuild their pride and joy. I can't imagine ANYBODY bitching about you and your service. They should go sit on the pot and go because they are full of it. Again, thanks for what you do ! Exclamation Exclamation
Photo Gallery
jeepurz

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Mike your dealing with the public, good luck , everyone aint gonna love ya. Ive had good luck with you guys since around 2004/5? and through 3 xs's. Ive found shipping and prices to be fair / fast . Ive worked with the public my whole life, one pissNmoaner's bugs me to, but hey whats one less christmas card? .

Ive had great help on the garage, pete has been a huge help on both boards, I havent been on this board long but id say the info is top notch too. I do appreciate the chop bobber section here too.
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Mike, sounds like you have been bagged over at the garage again to have to post a 650rider verses 650 garage post.

Your parts supply business for the XS that has grown to where it is, i would presume was a hobby that has snowballed, is a godsend for the owners of the XS650 and as an owner who has spent , (like all other XS650 owners) hundreds if not thousands of dollars on these bikes, I would like to say your speed of service is second to none when getting parts to Australia from the US and your prices have been very reasonable. Positives. The negative: Your response to some peoples questions when you have been asked about some discrepancy in information on your site and the parts supplied. (Ligament inquiry and not an anti Mikes blurb)

I have got good information from the 650 garage and if they don't like their threads hijacked then that is their prerogative. There IS a problem with this site as far as that is concerned.

As for retaliatory action against 650 garage by 650 rider members asking a lot of silly questions, (as proposed by xs1961) i think that shows childish and vindictive behavior. You are on your own there.

Hands up those who use or have used the carb guide from the Garage.

We all have faults and this site is not perfect either.

I will say thanks again Mike, and admire your commitment to resupplying all parts for these bikes. I guess it takes its own direction a bit when you having some parts made to keep these on the road then have to make other parts, like rockers, to keep them going. soon you will have to make the whole crank, about the only thing you are not making.
Good on you for looking at other bikes. Good luck on the CB750 venture
Photo Gallery
81XSChopper
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Mike, just want to add to the clamor. Your company is fantastic. I've also got a couple cb 750's, which I believe was a larger production than xs 650's. But the difference in trying to get any kind of parts for them is immense. You've got a neatly organized website with almost every part or tool a bike requires, economically priced, quickly delivered, and generally of great quality.

Ordering something simple like a valve, cam chain, sprockets, whatever, for a CB750 can mean going to a half dozen sources before finding what you need.

I've said this before, but with my background as another former small business owner, I know it is true: you do a great job.

To answer those critics who complain about you raising your shipping prices or that one of the thousands of parts you have outsourced does not perform to oem standards (like the clutch cable at one time) is beating a dead horse. Your initial free shipping with dirt-low prices was a little too generous in regards to profitability. Most places won't ship out a $2 screw without charging a minimum $10 shipping/handling charges. And you are bound to have a supplier produce a substandard part or two. Overall, a very small percentage of these relatively speaking get to the consumer.

So keep at it & let the naysayers find their parts elsewhere, if they can, and pay more and wait longer. I for one appreciate the time and effort you have invested.

greg

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4) XS650 Bobber; Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 panhead; XL chopped. Current Rides: Yamaha 81XS650H Cchopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 CB 750F Stock
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

..For gods sake Skull m8 ,take it as it was meant, a bloody joke, l I was trying to lighten up the thread a little ..jeez... Rolling Eyes
gradually losing intrest... God help me...

Last edited by xs1961 on September 5, 2009, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Teebs

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives... Oh, the drama... Very Happy
nj1639

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Teebs wrote:
Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives... Oh, the drama... Very Happy

Teebs, you look like a hyperthyroid showing your teeth to the dentist!
How would I know?
Hint, I'm not a dentist!
HA!
J/K

5twins

PostPosted: September 5, 2009, 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Yes mike, you have a terrific business catering to us 650 owners. I agree with everyone else that we're lucky to have you. My beef comes up when there is a problem with some of your parts - you refuse to accept responsibility in these cases. Benztech reported breaking a fork tube while trying to install your fork seals. Your response was ...... well there was none. He said it cost him $150 to fix. No skin off your back, though. The seal O.D. was too big so who's fault is that? I'm thinking it certainly can't be his 30+ year old sliders. They were made way back when at that size. But you think it couldn't be your seal.

OK, new topic, there have been reports that the nipple holes on your XS Performance rear rims are drilled at the wrong angle. They won't lace up to a stock 650 rear drum brake hub correctly. I really hope these reports are wrong but if I was you, I might consider looking into it. There have been reports of both the 16" and 18" rears not lacing up correctly. All I can think of is maybe the manufacturer mixed up the angles on the spoke holes between the 2.

I'm not here to cause trouble (like jtt). I love these bikes. I just want the best for them. Mike, you do a mostly good job. When you fall short I'd like to think you might want us to tell you about it.
Teebs

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

nj1639 wrote:
Teebs, you look like a hyperthyroid showing your teeth to the dentist!
How would I know?
Hint, I'm not a dentist!
HA!
J/K

Nah, that's just my DMV photo... the picture lady told me to just relax and act natural...
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Every time I see that photo I reach for my knife...... impulse I guess... Laughing
Photo Gallery
Teebs

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Funny, usually it's the .45 I pack around that triggers that impulse... granted, the impulse doesn't seem to last long...
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

45 would work.....heck a 22 will too........ even a pellet gun will make you wish it hadn't happened............ Shocked
Photo Gallery
highspeedhamish

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

5twins wrote:
Yes mike, you have a terrific business catering to us 650 owners. I agree with everyone else that we're lucky to have you. My beef comes up when there is a problem with some of your parts - you refuse to accept responsibility in these cases. Benztech reported breaking a fork tube while trying to install your fork seals. Your response was ...... well there was none. He said it cost him $150 to fix. No skin off your back, though. The seal O.D. was too big so who's fault is that? I'm thinking it certainly can't be his 30+ year old sliders. They were made way back when at that size. But you think it couldn't be your seal.

No offense here but if I was installing a fork seal and it wont budge I would stop. Im not saying the seal wasnt oversized or possibly the wrong seal but really, the rule of if it doesnt fit get a bigger hammer isnt a real rule.

If you have to press hard enough to fracture aluminum you have to stop and think why you attempted to put a square peg in a round hole.

Just saying ya know...

xsjohn

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I made the mistake of changing my fork seals that didn't leak....duh....have no idea why but (not mikes seals) the replacements have leaked ever since....3rd time coming up......and I still have one fork that leaks...left it this summer but will have to go after the problem again for sure.......I've changed plenty of seals through the years on other bikes and none leaked....just mine dagnabit...........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
1980xsRider

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I gotta say I concur with the positive posts about Mikesxs. My 80' 650 is the first motorcycle I have ever owned so I have had to frequent this forum and Mikesxs. I get responses from his shop within 24 hours or less and I am getting ready to make my second parts order. Thus far I have only had to shop elsewhere for one part. Otherwise rest assured Mikes, I will always go to you guys first. Great customer service over there, keep it up...
650rider
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

All I can say is Right On !

Retiredgentleman had a great comment too. I'm a small business owner and it takes lots of work. Right On to Mike for his work building his firm! Thanks for your efforts!

Photo Gallery
650SF

PostPosted: September 6, 2009, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

I feel very fortunate that Mike's is around. I've put in 3 orders so far, with more to come I'm sure.

After owning many old Hondas, the availability of reproduced parts for xs650s is literally mind blowing to me.

'79 XS650SF

'89 Lincoln Mk VII LSC 5 speed
Mikesxs

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Hamish: I have been selling the same Fork seals made by the Japanese OEM suppliers to Yamaha for 27 years. At least 20,000 sets of that particular number have been sold (mainly to Bike shops) and literally Hundreds of thousands of sets for other bikes during the same time. s*** happens but the Japanese OEM parts suppliers are as good as it gets. Perhaps the slider legs were distorted, the wrong set was ordered or the seal was mispackaged ( check the #'s on the Seal). I don't know but I doubt the part (never returned for us to check) was at fault. You have no idea how many people order our XS650 parts for other Brands and models as they want to "Wish" them into working as the prices for the correct parts are too high or they are simply unavailable.
All parts must interchange or can be made to work - Right !

Mike @ Mikes XS
jetmechmarty

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Quote::
You have no idea how many people order our XS650 parts for other Brands and models as they want to "Wish" them into working as the prices for the correct parts are too high or they are simply unavailable.
All parts must interchange or can be made to work - Right !

Hey Mike! I resemble that remark. Thanks for those parts that fit my XS1100 too! Of course, I understand that buying your parts for that purpose is at my own risk. I wish I did have such a good source for the XS1100.

BTW, I am most active at the archaic yam650 @ micapeak.com Love those guys!

Peace

Mikesxs

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

5 Twins: So you think I am a politician for stating what my parts will fit ?
If you go to Buchanans site you will see they sell a half dozen different Rim Brands and custom make spokes for each. I bet everyone differs in ID & OD a bit , size for size. We state our Cad spokes fit stock rims and never said otherwise. I have incoming the stainless spokes which were specifically sized for our XS Performance Rims and that's how we will list them on the site. I am sure you can lace a wheel but I bet 95 percent of the XS650 owners would have a lot of trouble doing it. If anyone thinks they have a Rim drilled incorrectly, send me a photo of the Rim from the inside and I will gladly replace it if it seems to be incorrect. As for the cable that you got about four years ago that you thought broke early, I am sure you will still drone on about it in another four years just like you do everytime anyone brings up the topic of cables.
I have sold about 7,000 pc. more since then and the Japanese OEM suppliers Motorcycle division I buy from still recommends the same cable sizes. You, Jack and Grizld would complain about anything from Mikes XS even if it was Free, delivered to your house and installed. You have no idea how many of my parts you have praised when the come from another source that buys from me. Mike @ Mikes XS
highspeedhamish

PostPosted: September 7, 2009, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

highspeedhamish wrote:
5twins wrote:

No offense here but if I was installing a fork seal and it wont budge I would stop. Im not saying the seal wasnt oversized or possibly the wrong seal but really, the rule of if it doesnt fit get a bigger hammer isnt a real rule.

If you have to press hard enough to fracture aluminum you have to stop and think why you attempted to put a square peg in a round hole.

Just saying ya know...

Mike@MikesXS.

Im not doubting your parts, Im agreeing with you, all your parts are likely to work with the intended other part. If someone like the above claims your part is wrong AND broke his fork leg it has to make you wonder on both accounts. Is the front end/fork leg off an XS 650? (Many frontends will bolt on) and again... why did he proceed when it wasnt working and end up breaking the lower?

Mikesxs

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Well I agree that a lot of XS owners do not have the mechanical green thumb but the problem I have is when someone anounces all over the web that THEY had a problem with a part so it Must be defective, an example was when a 650 rider member posted the following topic to this site when we showed that iridium spark plugs gave a 2 Hp gain.
" Iridium Plugs, another ripoff from Mikes XS" ! What kind of comment is that to post ?
It's a good thing he was not within reach or I can guarantee I would have twisted his head off.
In 30+ years of selling hard parts to motorcycle shops ( another business of mine ) I can hardly fill more than a medium cardboard box or two of returns. Motorcycle businesses know how to install parts, what they fit and how to fit them and realize that old Japanese bikes were assembled with pretty wide tolerances 3 or 4 decades ago

Mikes @ Mikes XS
Jack

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Mikesxs wrote:
Well I agree that a lot of XS owners do not have the mechanical green thumb but the problem I have is when someone anounces all over the web that THEY had a problem with a part so it Must be defective, an example was when a 650 rider member posted the following topic to this site when we showed that iridium spark plugs gave a 2 Hp gain.
" Iridium Plugs, another ripoff from Mikes XS" ! What kind of comment is that to post ?
It's a good thing he was not within reach or I can guarantee I would have twisted his head off.
In 30+ years of selling hard parts to motorcycle shops ( another business of mine ) I can hardly fill more than a medium cardboard box or two of returns. Motorcycle businesses know how to install parts, what they fit and how to fit them and realize that old Japanese bikes were assembled with pretty wide tolerances 3 or 4 decades ago

Mikes @ Mikes XS

Don't know why my name was brought up Bud,but if you'll pull your head out of your ---,you'll notice I haven't even attempted to respond to your silly popularity contest. AS most have stated,we're very grateful that you have made every attempt possible in supplying OEM and aftermarket parts but I'll be damn if I'll bow to kiss your --- for your efforts. So excuse me if I end this with I hope you have a bad day and don't ever bring my name up in conversation that I've choosing not to participate in.
Wrong quote but it doesn't matter, you know where I'm quoting from
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 8, 2009, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 650 Rider verses 650 Garage

Mike, perhaps you should base your business down here in Aus, remember we know how to fix these miner problems without instructions or try to press parts into other parts without looking and don't bother you with those nit picking questions or complain when the free postage goes from $50 to $150. (never been free down here)

Then the squealing will really start
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3