650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > 80-84 clutch in 77 motor

80-84 clutch in 77 motor
    Forum Index -> Drive
Hillchop

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 10:20 pm    Post subject: 80-84 clutch in 77 motor

has anyone done this swap before? i put the clutch in a few months ago and have been riding it quite a bit and didn't have any problems until recently....at high rpm's it would slip just for a second then be fine...i thought i had it adjusted awesome since it only took a slight touch of the clutch lever to disengage...today it was slipping constantly until while i was limping it home, it decided to kill the bike and make the clutch lever all but impossible to operate....should the fact that the clutch basket etc is out of an 80 be an issue or should i investigate elsewhere? any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

Joe
xsleo

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: 80-84 clutch in 77 motor

The clutch baskets are all the same. They used a few different hubs. If you Used the complete setup from a later model in your 77 it will work fine.
I had an 82 clutch in my 75 worked good. I had the side cover off for other things, I put the 75 clutch back in just to check for any differences in the way they work. Not enough to change back. I think the 82 clutch engaged a bit smoother. The 75 seems to be easier to find neutral, the cold to hot changes don't seem to effect it as much.
I would double check your adjustments first. Then maybe pull the cover and check to be sure the clutch is put together right. The pressure plate only works right one way. The hole in the plate must line up with the dimple in the hub.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Hillchop

PostPosted: September 1, 2009, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 80-84 clutch in 77 motor

thanks for your reply leo....pulled the case covers off and double checked everything and all seemed well...pulled clutch cable off for inspection and the damn thing was siezed! how it seized while riding i don't know...thinking the cable was too close to the motor and the casing possibly melted into the inner cable around the cable itself? had a local shop fab me up a fresh one and all has been well in that department...thanks again for your reply

joe

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1