650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > stearring bearings

stearring bearings
    Forum Index -> Drive
Joseph

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 6:52 am    Post subject: stearring bearings

I didn't get my inspection sticker because while up on the satnd, if you turn the bars rt to lft or other way it feels like it clicks in right in the center. Anyone know if I can remedy this with what I have, or will I need NEW bearings? I have the hayns manual and plan on taking them out for inspection if they look good grese and put back unless I should get the taperd bearings.
Thanks

Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

if they notch like that they have worn spots in the races they need replaced, it will also make for very interesting handling, take a curve with a series of clicks?
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

New tapered rollers are the way to go, they cost bugger all, easy to fit (the crappy standard balls will probably fall out and bounce all over the w/shop anyway) and are a heaps better product.
steering and brakes are the most important things on a bike, why chance it! Buy a new dust seal for the bottom while your at it, load your new bearings up with heaps of quality grease, and bask in the knowledge that you have the best steering possible!!!!

Joseph

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

While I'm ordering the bearing's I want to get bars . I'm going from speacial to daytona or stadard bars. Can I use the same cables, Clutch, speedo, tach etc? I do not have the $ right now, if I can get away with using the same cables for this season it would be nice. Any coments are apreciated.
Photo Gallery
xackley

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

I switched out for the weighted standard bars at mikesxs. All the cables are a little long, but ok.
Joseph

PostPosted: August 22, 2008, 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

There isnt much in the book on changing stearing bearing. Do I have to take the tire off? I'm thinking front tire off then just figure how to take the tripke tree off forks. Any coments or tips are much apreciated.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: August 22, 2008, 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

Bump, I realy need input on this one.
Thanks

Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 22, 2008, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

Righto Joe, plenty of ways to skin a cat, but this is how I do it.
This way you can service the whole front end while you are at it!
1. remove callipers, see here for what I do there 650rider.com/index.php...pic&t=4134
2. check wheel bearings & wheel in general (it might help to back off axle before you jack up the bike) Then remove and clean wheel.
3. Clean fork staunchions above lower tripple clamp, then spray with CRC.
Back off fork caps (if your going to service the forks as well, might as well at least replace the oil in them) then back off bolts securing forks to tripple clamps (then totaly remove them, clean, never sieze and replace) and slide forks down & off. Clean and service forks.
4. Remove upper tripple clamp, remove bearing lock nuts, remove lower tripple tree. Now all the little balls will probably roll all over your work shop!
5. With a long drift, knock out old bearing cups from the head stem. Now clean inside the head stem thouroghly. Under the lower bearing cup is a dust cover, this must be retained or replaced. Remove all the old bearing cups and clean everything up
6. Have smoko, youve earnt a break, a tooheys old and a scoob for me thanks!
7. Another tooheys old
8. Grease your new bearings by putting grease in the cup of your hand and force into the bearing, these must be fully greased before install, should be no room for air around the rollers!
9. Reverse to install, when cranking up the tripple trees, nip them up till you feel the bearings start to bind, then back them off. This may take a couple of go's to get right, but make sure it feels smooth before you go on.
10. Once its all back together again, check bearings still on the money, neither tight nor loose.
11. Every bolt, nut, axle you touch should be removed, cleaned and given a nice drink of never sieze!

Or you could be a slacker and just drop the front end out with the wheel and forks still attached, change the bearings and slap it back together!

Enjoy!

Joseph

PostPosted: August 22, 2008, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

Great, that sound like a good thorough job. I couldn't ask for better instructions, looking forward to it now Smile . I'll clean and service everything as suguested. Much Thanks. I'll let ya know how I make out. Hope to do it this weekend.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

Forgot to say, measure the distance your forks stick out above the triple clamp, so you can get them back the same! Though you may wish to bring the forks through a bit more to sharpen up the steering, it's still important to know your base setting. Oh and another tooheys, cheers.
5twins

PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

Installing the new top outer race is no problem. It sits slightly above the neck when fully seated so can be driven all the way in with a block of wood and a hammer. The new lower race is different. It sits up inside the neck and can't be driven in all the way with just the block of wood. Once you have it in as far as you can get it with the wood block, add one of the old races. Once the wood block touches the bottom of the neck again, add a second old race. That will allow you to drive it the rest of the way in.

If you didn't get the races completely seated, driving the bike will finish the job. For that reason, you'll want to check the adjustment after a hundred miles or so to see if the bearings have loosened up.

Here's a very good "how to" with pics .....

smg.photobucket.com/al...0Bearings/
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

Onya 5twins, awesome how2!
gggGary

PostPosted: January 7, 2009, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: steering bearings

anyone have the size or a standard part number of the tapered steering bearings? Thought I would check bearing houses for the best way to buy them and post here no reason to pay extra markup if direct from vendor works. Pyramid is getting about 31.00 shipped on eBay but not sure of the quality of his bearings. I have bought other stuff from him before but can't remember quality.
BigGeorge

PostPosted: January 7, 2009, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

If you are not sure of the quality off e-bay why take a chance for a few bucks more order from MikesXS or 650 central delivered to your door.... The upper bearing is 25Y / 48YS
The lower bearing is 30Y / 48KS
Good luck.........BG

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: steering bearings

gggGary wrote:
I have bought other stuff from him before but can't remember quality.

Quality must have been ok or you would have remembered for sure! Laughing
Laughing Laughing

Joseph

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: steering bearings

I put the bearings in a couple mos ago. By looking at pics I have the bearings correct but didn't realize they were 2 different bearings and I don't remember the race being as tall as it looks in this pic. smg.photobucket.com/al...ings06.jpg . The steering doesn't seem unstable in any way but I guess I'll have to take it back apart. Do you think I'll get the races out in usable condition? The info that tapered steering bearings are 2 different should go in the vault if we have a topic for this there. I think I would have noticed such a difference I wonder if I have 2 races the same. Does anyone have knowledge on if the races are the same in some tapered bearing sets for the XS?
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: steering bearings

Joseph wrote:
I put the bearings in a couple mos ago. By looking at pics I have the bearings correct but didn't realize they were 2 different bearings and I don't remember the race being as tall as it looks in this pic. smg.photobucket.com/al...ings06.jpg . The steering doesn't seem unstable in any way but I guess I'll have to take it back apart. Do you think I'll get the races out in usable condition? The info that tapered steering bearings are 2 different should go in the vault if we have a topic for this there. I think I would have noticed such a difference I wonder if I have 2 races the same. Does anyone have knowledge on if the races are the same in some tapered bearing sets for the XS?

Have you tried looking in the Vault under "Tapered Roller Steering Bearings". Rolling Eyes While you are there take a look around Smile
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

Well I checked, my bearings were in correctly. I brought it to get inspection and the guy said the staring is too tight. He says it should just flop right over if it is up on the stand. It is no where near stiff at all, it just doesn't fall to one side. I felt it was too loose other wise but i have to loosen it in order to get my sticker tonight. This is a cycle repair shop. I might bring it to a regular gearage my friend went to that does m/c inspection but he wan't to schedual it days away.
Photo Gallery
baclay9

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

I am so glad we don't have to go through inspection here. I would have gone balistic if he would have said that after everything you just did to make it right.

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

I know right, if it was stiff maybe I could understand but it wasn't. I think he was looking for me to let him fix it. I am almost sure he wanted me to say, oh can you fix it for me. The first time he said something was wrong with the steering, and there was a spot where it kind of clicked in at straight forwar, I guess a flat spot or something in the original bearings. and I guess he didn't realize I do my own work. So yesterday when I went there he goes oh there is something wrong with the steering. I'm like I just did the bearings and he proceeds to tell me they are tight etc. If it was a hazard I would understand, but I honestly cant see them being too tight it is no where near resissting it just doesnt flop over.
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: August 14, 2009, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

What an effin racket, inspection.
TwistedLeather

PostPosted: August 27, 2009, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

Here in Texas, a motorcycle inspections usually goes something like this:

Yep, that's a motorcycle, where do you want me to put the sticker?

B.

xsleo

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: stearring bearings

Where I get my inspections done here in NY. The lady checks all the lights and horn, gives it a walk around to look at tires.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1