650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > High rev'ing?

High rev'ing?
    Forum Index -> Engine
flavaz33

PostPosted: May 20, 2005, 4:51 pm    Post subject: High rev'ing?

I set the idle screw, sounds good. Ride a little and then the bike wants to stay running at about 3 grand till i stop and adjust the idle screw. But then its iddling too low so i adjust it back to where it was, and wants to run high every now and then again. Whats up!? Help please.
Jack

PostPosted: May 20, 2005, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: High rev'ing?

IF you still have the mechanical advance system,it's most likely the weight springs have lost their tension and will need replacing..........Jack
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 20, 2005, 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: High rev'ing?

My 80 does the same thing. Think it may have something to do with the idle mixture? From what I've heard the later model carbs are hard to tune when get free flowing pod Filters and drag pipes.
Photo Gallery
flavaz33

PostPosted: May 20, 2005, 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: High rev'ing?

To Jack- is that mechanical advance system stock, and how do you change it? And to Mo- it did this to me last year with everything stock, so thats why im really stumped now, so im thinking Jack might have our answer.
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 21, 2005, 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: High rev'ing?

If I remember right you have an 83 with electronic ignition which as far as know doesn't have mechanical advance. If I'm wrong then I have another "Thing" to play with;)
Photo Gallery
flavaz33

PostPosted: May 22, 2005, 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: High rev'ing?

Yes, mines an 83, and im guessing it has Auto Advance. Looking at MikesXS online catalog, there is a spring and clip set with the 1st sentance of the description reading: Is your Ignition going to full advance at low RPM? Im guessing thats out problem? Heres the link, tell me what you think. . .
www.mikesxs.net/PDF/Mi...ection.pdf

mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 22, 2005, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: High rev'ing?

If referring to XS Part # 14-0651 that is for earlier point fired XS's that are timed off of the cam. As far as I know the electronics fire from a sensor on the crank where you access your stator and timing marks.
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 23, 2005, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: High rev'ing?

From Mike's XS FAQ page at www.mikesxs.net/tech_tips.html

5. Q. Why does my Idle not come down quickly when I close the throttle ?
A. If the idle is high or is slow to drop (hovers) then the system is receiving a lean fuel mixture. Check for carb holder air leaks or restrictions in the carb jets or fuel supply. Check cable condition and that they are properly routed.

Could it Be the problem we're having?

Photo Gallery
flavaz33

PostPosted: May 23, 2005, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: High rev'ing?

Ive checked the cable, and i recently had the carbs apart, cleaned, and new jets put in. Do you think if the timing is off that it may cause it to hover? Im looking through my Haynes manual and Mikes XS for anything, im starting to get a little frustrated Razz
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 24, 2005, 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: High rev'ing?

I just kind of gave up and adjusted my idle down to keep it from happening. But I don't care much for the fact that doesn't Idle fast enough to keep it running without my assistance for the most part. Maybe I need to fatten up my idle mixture although I think it may be too fat already. I'll mess with it some and see how it does now that I got my new pipes on.

Last edited by mo650chopper on May 29, 2005, 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
flavaz33

PostPosted: May 27, 2005, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: High rev'ing?

Yo MO,
In response to that Faq question you found, i was ordering my newest installment of parts from Mikes site and i noticed the gasket-intake spigot (carb gaskets) so i thought about it and realized i didnt even have any gaskets between the carb holder and the engine. So i ordered them, put them on, and just took her for a spin. There was no "hovering" at all, either that fixed it or i just had a lucky run, but so far so good. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Taiji_Dat

PostPosted: May 28, 2005, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: High rev'ing?

Hello Kevin,
I had the same problem. First cause was when I put the bike back together the throttle cable was routed wrong and when I turned to one side the idle was high.
Second was those gaskets you are talking about that go between the manifold and engine. I could not locate any locally so I took out the razor and cut a few of my own.. They worked fine. The idle came down some but still needed a little more tweekin.
Ended up that the manifold from being "old" got hard and (they should be replaced every 10-15 years or so) the clamp between the carb and Manifold did not tighten up enough. It took a few cranks but got it tight and did not see any cracks in the manifold. so far so good.
They will be next on my list to order.. that and the oil seal behind the clutch cover..
David
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 29, 2005, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: High rev'ing?

The clutch rod seal solved my oil leak.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1