650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > color's affect on value

color's affect on value
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
JeffM

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: color's affect on value

I would say go with your intuition. I can't see anyone who is fan of the early ones not liking the orange and black. If you are planning to ride it for a while and not sell immediately, definately do the orange if you like it.

Nudude's second photo (thx, nudude) is about the clearest i've seen, and it looks candy from here given the difference in the shaded and sunny parts of the photo. Perhaps search the member galleries and PM if you find one. This vid may help? www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCU-GydgkIE
I have actually shown photos of this paint job to friend who paints... I would like to do it with flake in the orange. (dreaming at this point though, no $$$ for it).

Here's another paint job I've never seen...
PenniesEarned

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: color's affect on value

Thats actually the color scheme I've been planning on doing. I have a xs650b. I know it won't ever be a xs1 but I don't really care. I don't think paint would effect the value unless the job was done poorly or you started with a mint tank to begin with.
tacoswild

PostPosted: July 15, 2009, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: color's affect on value

The orange on the orange/black combo looks more orange to me than the "candy orange" on the 71, but it sure is hard to tell from the pics and video. The 71 was somewhere in between orange and yellow. They fade to a yellow/gold kind of color too but you can still see the original color by flipping the tank over.

As far as value goes I think it's highly personal. There are guys who think repainting this stuff at all is criminal. I bought mine from one of those guys, makes me afraid to paint it in case I bump into him one day and make him cry Shocked

Then there are people who are obsessed with year correct nos everything.

But most of us I think just like old motorcycles.
xs2Doug

PostPosted: July 16, 2009, 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: color's affect on value

Well mine definately falls into the "could only help" category...!!!! when I got it, it had bondo'd in tank badge recesses, missing badge mounts, and rattle can red paint and needed lining....

Taco, I agree about the 71 color. definitely a 'butterscotch' yellow i.m.o.

I'm told the match on the butterscotch yellow is HOK's Pagan Gold over a met. silver base. about 3 coats?

the orange/black is a 72 combo option for the european market in my understanding.... my question was about the orange on that combo...I couldn't tell if it was metalic or not. guessing no one would care anyway especially since there's basically none to compare it too!

if anyone has a likely match for the orange, let me know......
musicman58

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: color's affect on value

I would be willing to bet that the best value will come with the original paint scheme for your bike...if you are specaking strictly of resale value of a 1972. Original means original to restorers.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2