650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > clutch problems help needed

clutch problems help needed
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
hilomx6

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 8:32 pm    Post subject: clutch problems help needed

k,,i just got a 78 650 xs,,so it wouldnt start been sitting a while,,i did the new starter gear repair kit and and did new plugs ect and it fired right up,runs good ,,my problem now is the i pull the clutch lever and nothing really happens,,i dont rem it being this way when i brought it home,,,could i have done somethin wrong when i was puting the clutch basket back in after the doig the new starter gear? when i pull the clutch lever the cable will pull the metal piece of the cable end up and when i push it back out the cable comes out the end of the adjuster on the lever,,its like somethin is in a bind or the cable is seased,,but i can hold the calbele and it seems to move freely,,any ideas are greatly appreaciated.....
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

sounds like the bottom end of the cable isn't hooked up
hilomx6

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

is there anything i could have done wrong when putting the basket back on when i did the starter gear? i just seen a forum where the pressure plate had a certain place to line back up,,not sure i did that? but i marked it the way it came off i thought
Stonecold2491

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

You can remove the 1 and 1/2 inch circular cover on the gearshift side of the case and pull the clutch lever to see if the eccentric is moving with pull of the clutch lever , if not the cable is loose inside or broken . To hook cable back up you need to remove the gearshift and side cover. There is a link to a repair manual in the vault section on here. Lots of good info in there.
nj1639

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

Lose the ball bearing in the worm gear?
hilomx6

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

ok ill check that out,,,i dont rem seeing a ball bearing when i took it apart,,,hmmm
hilomx6

PostPosted: July 28, 2009, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

i just orderd a clymer manual maybe that will help me out some,,,im gona take the right side apart again and see if i have the alighment holes lined up right,,not sure if that makes a difference or what,,then ill do the right side cover to see what i can find
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

Hello to you to ! I guess this is a welcome,
Have you had a good look through the site before jumping into questions If you look in the Vault under "Manual -- Parts List" and you can download a manual and look up parts through Biker net. and that will give you an exploded view of different parts + part no's This will help you to relate to any answers and help with your questions
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

When you got everything put back together, did you have any parts left over?
hilomx6

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

no parts left over nope,,, i cant seem to find a picture of where the ball bearing goes thou
Joseph

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

Did you look under the left adjuster cover to see that the cable is attached to something? As mentioned previously
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

There's a ball bearing where the worm gear meets the clutch pushrod. It's pressed into the back of the worm gear and easily lost if you take the left side cover off. There's another one located after the clutch pushrod too.
On reassembly I greased the worm gear ball bearing to make sure it stays in place. Dirt floor mechanic here and things can get lost easily, or stolen and et by the damn chickens! HA!

hilomx6

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

too the left side cover off today and the right side back off ,,,all the pieces are there and slides back and forth easily with the clutch off,,,the cable is hooked up also,,,when i put the clutch back on i think i mut be doing somethin wrong,,cause it seems really solid and the rod wont slide back and forth anymore,,,is there soposed to be any slack in the basket when you get it back together,,,ther is a small gap at the back of the disk pack,,and i can move the basket back and forth some with my hands,,,,im deff a newby on clutch setups,,,i cant really tell whats soposed to be going on here...
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

hilomx6

Check this link for an important clutch aligment issue:

www.650motorcycles.com...mbly1.html

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

i got the two marks lined up right,,,id there anything else that has to lign up as far as when you put the clutch on the shaft?
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

hilomx6;
Here's a drawing of how your clutch should be assembled. Do you have all of these in place?

hilomx6

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

yea everything is there,,its sorta hard to slide on the shaft at the point where the gears are,,the basket slides on back and lines up with the gears fine then after a little wiggling the plates and stuff will go on back,,but they leave about a 1/4 of gap at the back of the basket and wont go any further.. wish i had looked at it better when i took it apart to see if the gap was there.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

Can you show us a picture of where this gap is?
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch problems help needed

How many fiber disc's, and how many steel disc's? A '78 should have 7 fiber and 6 steel.Also check the alighnment of the push rod seat to the clutch basket. Reassemle the left side cover,adjust the worm gear until there is no slack, then back off about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Watch the right side clutch area when using the lever, it should be moving. I' m thinking your worm gear area is the problem area. I replaced my pushrod's with the long one from Mike's last year, and once I got the adjustment on the worm gear right, all's well. The order of the pushrod part's is a ball bearing in the worm gear itself, the short pushrod, another ball bearing, the longer pushrod, another ball bearing at the clutch throwout rod. The rod that pushes the clutch basket.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1