650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

Hooker Header- Question about different XS models
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
hobbsdr

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

I bought a used XS650 Hooker Header. It is in good shape, and it was supposedly on an early model XS 650 (I did not see it on the bike). The seller didn't know if it was on a Standard or Special, however. It looks exactly like the picture below, which was taken from 650motorcycles.com. (http://www.650motorcycles.com/misctips3.html; middle of page)

The exhaust system has a welded hanging bracket that looks like it should mount to the stud for the passenger foot peg; however, once assembled the hanging bracket is too far back by about an inch (or so). I have inserted the header pipes as deep into the collector as I can, but it is still too long to hang anywhere on the bike's frame. Because the exhaust bracket is welded on, there is no way to adjust for differences, as a Mac 2-1 system does with a bracket that has about 3 inches of horizontal travel.

I have a 1981 XS650 Special, and I was wondering if perhaps my XS has a different frame with respect to muffler hanging than a Standard model?? I know the shock frame mounts are different btw Standards and Specials, but would there be any difference for mounting an exhaust system?

Thanks.

Jon

hook2002002.jpg
 Description:
Hooker header for XS650
 Filesize:  154 KB
 Viewed:  851 Time(s)

hook2002002.jpg

pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

hobsdr,

Right you are! The foot pegs on my '78/E are 9 1/2" from the swing arm pivot point. They are just 8" on my '81/H

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

Thanks Pamcopete! My suspicions are confirmed.

Now I just need to buy a new bike to fit my exhaust Wink .

Jon
nj1639

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

Sounds logical to me!
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

hobbsdr,

Well, I had a quick look at my '81/H and I think you can just fab a couple of brackets that will bolt to the stud for the muffler on the bike and the foot peg stud, extending to the bracket on the muffler.. Not a big problem.

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

if you wanna sell the exhaust let me know. Smile

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

Thanks for the replies. Update: the wife put a stop to buying a new moto to fit the exhaust. Sad

If I shorten the headers by about 1.5 inches, on the part of the header
that slides into the collector, it looks like it will bolt on. Obviously, this
would mean that my headers are shorter than Hooker originally designed them to be.

The other alternative is to fabricate or buy a bracket and mount it like PamcoPete suggested. I'm leaning towards the additional bracket, but it will not look as "clean."

Can anyone talk me out of shortening the header pipes?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

hobbsdr wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Update: the wife put a stop to buying a new moto to fit the exhaust. Sad
also know as SHWtPintF (She Who Wears the Pants in the Family)
MAN UP! Tell her How it Going to Be

dwyatt

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

Losing half your stuff makes that new bike very expensive.......
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

Aaaahh, we got no fault here in the hinterlands of Ioway, give her the house keep your bikes ... sounds fair to me
JeffM

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

Okay, I'll say it... don't cut them. Run the bracket until you buy the other bike.

I have a set of Hookers on my other bike... nice quality welds, beautiful chrome (no bluing here), matched length headers. Mine came in the box with a brochure selling tube tops and leather visors emblazoned with 'I love my Hooker'.

img_1810_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.38 KB
 Viewed:  330 Time(s)

img_1810_2.jpg

img_1811_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.43 KB
 Viewed:  316 Time(s)

img_1811_2.jpg

nudude53

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

JeffM:
That's a sweet looking set of pipes on that Honda, I wonder if Hooker makes a stock replacement set-up for the XS. From what I've read on here about the chrome on the pipes available from our favorite XS supplier I'm not too sure I want to drop $550 for a set that might rust up in a year or less.

hobbsdr

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

The Hooker has received an 11th hour reprieve, and she will not face the sawzall as was planned. (Always wanted to say that).

Thanks for your input. I'll goof around with a bracket and post pictures when I have something decent.

Jon
JeffM

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

From what I have seen, Hooker only makes Harley and car pipes now, but I am quite sure they made xs pipes in the day. These were a lucky ebay find, I recall I paid close to $500CAD and consider it a bargain, 350f pipes are pretty much unobtanium.
Would love to find a set of old duals. The Hooker pipe has a big collector and straight through glasspacks, surprisingly quiet at low revs and a nice howl at 10,000.

Looking forward to the pics Jon...
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

DO NOT CUT THOSE PIPE'S. Look at the Mike's site for a chrome bracket, if that's what you can use to mount the header. They are pretty stiff, & I've broken 2 from vibration. I just use mild steel now, cleaned up & painted black.
holeshot13

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooker Header- Question about different XS models

If you can't use the Hooker let me know. I have been looking for one for a project.

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1