650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > Headlamp Issues

Headlamp Issues
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
650newbie

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 12:59 am    Post subject: Headlamp Issues

Greetings,

As a new 650 owner, hell as a brand new motorcycle owner I have stumbled across an issue which I think I know the answer to but wanted some expert advice. I recently purchased a 1980 650XS in very good condition. Starts cold everytime, it is clean, appears never dropped or wrecked, and all systems are go except for the headlamp. I have read the information about the headlamp reserve lighting unit and the bypass method hooking the blue/black wire direct to the blue/yellow wire. But before I start yanking wires and cutting them I am wondering if there might be any other issue. All other lights work fine, although sometimes the turn signals will illuminate but not flash. They always come on though. Also, if I attach the two wires mentioned above, can I leave the other 4 just unhooked? That doesn't seem logical. Give a new guy some pointers here please, and maybe one of these days i'll get this beast on the road. Thank you for the suggestions and help.
nudude53

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

Pointer #1,; Don't cut any wires, make jumper leads.
xsleo

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

I would start there, if it works run it, if not check back. There are a couple electrical geniuses on here and have most of the answers.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

650newbie;
As you stated is correct. Just join the 2 wires. The other 4 can be left disconnected, but need to be insulated so they don't short to ground. The white light on the panel now becomes available for other purposes (light green wire).

I agree with nudude53, don't hack up the harness. Always best to be able to go back to "stock", when you do modifications.
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

A dim headlight and erratic turnsignals. I'd check the charge on the battery. Then check how much it is charging at idle and 2500 rpm.
It could be your brushes are on the short end of life.... or not.

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

I appreciate the input everyone. Can any of you give me a laundry list of parts to build the jumper leads? What guage wire and how do I connect it into the harness? I am guessing some sort of slip on type connector, but are there different sizes. Thanks again for all the advice.
nudude53

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

You can get the correct size bullet connectors from Mikes if you can't find them at the auto parts store. Get some males, females, a good pair of wire crimping pliers and some shrink wrap tubing. Not sure of the gauge, 12-14 I believe.
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

Does Mike sell connectors the size used in the RLU coupling?
650newbie I cut the end off my RUL and used it.

PostPosted: June 20, 2009, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

He sells all kinds of XS related connectors, you will have to check and see.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 21, 2009, 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

16 gauge wire is all you need.
Photo Gallery
650newbie

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

Well back to the forums section of 650 Rider. Bypassing the reserve lighting unit had no effect on the headlamp inop problem. Dang, I was hoping for the easy fix. There is power on both sides of the fuse box and a couple of the connector harnesses in the headlamp bucket have power through them. I have noticed though that the instrument cluster is also not lighting up maybe that will give the experts on this site some more information about where the problem may lie. I really do not want to purchase the 89.00 complete wiring harness from mikesxs. If I can't get this to work what about running wires direct from the headlamp fuse to the headlamp connector. Everything else is running great. Any other thoughts?
nudude53

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

Go over the bike and clean all of the electrical connections and grounds.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

Ok I know this might be silly but have you tried just hooking up the headlight to 12 volts by itself? Maybe the bulb is bad? Got a voltmeter and checked for 12 volts at the plug yet? Work back from there. Also if you go here : www.knucklebusterinc.c.../XS650.pdf
Go to page 200. It has a flow chart on trouble-shooting "head light does not function" .
When you are disconnecting and reconnecting wiring be sure to clean and put some dielectric grease on the connection to prevent further corrosion and oxidation. Let us know what happens!

Oh and did I forget to say , WELCOME! I hope you enjoy your XS as much as I do mine.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

650newbie;
Your problem is likely with the Safety Relay and there may be several causes. The SR may be faulty itself, or the SR may not operate due to a low voltage signal from the alternator.

Have you checked for the obvious; is the headlight bulb good.

As weekendrider said, low voltage from your charging system will cause lots of problems on these bikes, including headlight not operating. You need to tell us the battery voltage with the engine off and with the engine running at 1200 RPM and 3000 RPM.
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

650newbie, I "lost" the headlight and gauge lights on one. Both sides of the fuse had voltage. The plugs had power. It turned out corrision had built up between the fuse base and the clip on the fuse box. Alittle steel wool and di-electric grease fixed it. So I guess (truely guessing) it would flow voltage but not enough current for the lights to work?

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

Retired and Weekend those are great comments. So today I pulled the headlight unplugged all the connectors hit 'em with some compressed air and when I started the bike low and behold the light worked both high beam and low beam. I unhooked my RLU bypass and plugged the RLU back in and it still worked. Tomorrow is di-electric grease and emory cloth day. I will make sure to hit the fuse box and all the connections in the headlamp bucket. I at least have a headlight now. When I turn the key on the light doesn't come on but as soon as I start the bike it comes on and shines bright both high beam and low beam. After I grease ALL the connections and emory cloth them I may tackle the safety relay. I still need to get a voltmeter to throw in my toolbox it appears. Seems that is about the most important tool for these bikes. Thanks again everyone for your comments and help. Ill post more as I continue to refine. On a side note I noticed an old post in the vault about a simplified wiring project. Does anyone have further details on that post?
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

Good to hear you got your headlight working. Your safety relay is working correctly. The headlight stays off while cranking the engine, and is switched on by the safety relay once the alternator is producing a normal voltage.
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

Newbie:
Try using steel wool to clean the bullet connectors, emery cloth may take too much metal off of them, use a .22 caliber rifle brush to clean the inside of the female connectors. They should snap together, if not they are loose and can be tightened by squeezing lighty with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Unless you've got a bobber or a chopper you don't want to try to simplify the wiring, but Retired Gentleman can give you some good pointers on making it more efficient.

650newbie

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

Thanks for the followup posts and cleaning hints, ill use steel wool and then di-electric grease all of the connections. Mine is about as stock as stock can get to include an almost 30 year old front tire. I have seen some very slick choppers in the gallery though, maybe someday.
xsleo

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

If your tire is that old. REPLACE IT. It is an accident just waiting to happen.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Issues

nudude53 wrote:
Unless you've got a bobber or a chopper you don't want to try to simplify the wiring. . . .

Why do you say so, Nudude?

Just curious.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1