650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Mike's XS light weight Disc?

Mike's XS light weight Disc?
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
xscaferacer

PostPosted: February 8, 2007, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Mike's XS light weight Disc?

Hey I just picked up Mike's XS light weight disc. I put it on with the spacers between the caliper and fork tube like it says and got big time brake rub form the inside brake pad so I spaced it out more and I still have brake drag on the inside brake pad. The drag is not that bad, but with all the spacers in there it puts the caliper with in a 1/8 of a inch from the wheel spokes, im really not that happy with that. I also put on new Versah brake pads and It said xs650 on them so Im pretty sure there the right ones. Has anyone else use this disc that could give me some pointers?-Thanks
Photo Gallery
xscaferacer

PostPosted: February 8, 2007, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS light weight Disc?

Embarassed

Last edited by xscaferacer on February 8, 2007, 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Mikesxs

PostPosted: February 8, 2007, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS light weight Disc?

Check the photo instructions supplied with the disc. See space info (at axel). Can't think of any other reason you would have problems. We have
gone thru many hundreds of these OEM made discs and yours should be no different. We do not like to hear of any problems so we are interested in clearing them up if they exist and suggest that customers with problems E-mail us directly first..

Mike Lalonde Mikes XS
xscaferacer

PostPosted: February 8, 2007, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS light weight Disc?

Mike, I didn't mean to bash your product at all. Everything I have bought from you has been great quality product and i have been very happy with. I know it's something that I screwed up with my caliper and I was fishing for a quick fix answer. I have 2/8's of washers between my caliper and fork tube and the caliper rides 1/8 from the spokes. I see from your instructions you have it mounted on a mag rim and was wondering if it has the same distance of 1/8 between the spokes and caliper. I was all so wondering if using Versah brake pads would make a difference. And I also know that my caliper needs a rebuild, which is part of my brake drag problem. I bought all the caliper rebuild parts from you and that is the next thing on the list. I sincerely apologize if I offended you. I was just making sure the problem was my caliper.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: February 8, 2007, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS light weight Disc?

Sorry, missed this when you first posted. I've been using that unit for around 2 years with aluminum-rimmed spoked wheels and Ferodo Platinum pads. There were no fitment issues. The rotor has performed very nicely. You'll feel the reduction in unsprung weight.

You might check your caliper to see that the pads are free on the runners.

PostPosted: February 8, 2007, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS light weight Disc?

How close is the caliper running to the spokes, is 1/8 to close? I also took apart my caliper and the piston is shot, so now I’m positive that is my drag problem.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: February 9, 2007, 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS light weight Disc?

My caliper clears the spokes (Buchanans, a little thicker than stock) by 7 mm.--a bit over 1/4".

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1