650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Chrome plating

Chrome plating
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 17, 2005, 2:37 pm    Post subject: Chrome plating

Anyone had their header pipes or other pieces replated? I am looking for a company that will do good work, the bike is not show and I am not planning on going that way but Yamaha did not seem to think chrome should last 25 years.

I figure this would be a good winter project as it gets a bit cool and snowy here in beautiful Delaware Razz

Bill
Photo Gallery
Phred

PostPosted: October 21, 2005, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome plating

Most major cities have at least one decent chrome shop. Check the local Harley or hot-rod shops to see who they use. Usually a lot cheaper than mailing them across the country and a good shop will understand what you want and will work with you. Also, if there are problems with the work, it's generally easier to get corrected if the shop is local.
Photo Gallery
xs650mike

PostPosted: October 21, 2005, 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome plating

kingwj wrote:
Yamaha did not seem to think chrome should last 25 years.
Well the chrome bits including headers still look good on my '82SJ (manufactured 9/81) but thats only 24 years, maybe they'll just rust all of a sudden just before the bike turns 25.:wink:

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 1, 2005, 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome plating

I found a shop who will rechrome the head pipes but he requires the pipes be cleaned of all carbon and exhaust residue as it will contaminate his tanks. Is there a product anyone knows of which will clean the pipe interior? I was thinking of using a plumber's snake with scotchbrite pads tied to the end to scrub the interior along with hot soapy water. Any better ideas?
Photo Gallery
xs650g

PostPosted: December 2, 2005, 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome plating

Walmart sells a product that removes rust. I forget the exact name, but it is in the automotive section, and labeled "rust remover". It is a fairly strong acis in a gel base. I think that if you bought 2 bottles of this, applied it with very coarse steel wool (more abrasive than scotchbrite), and worked the heck out of it with a snake or a pull cord, I think you could get the pipes clean enough for a chrome bath.
Photo Gallery
Phred

PostPosted: December 6, 2005, 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome plating

You might also try oven cleaner-the stuff is made to cut carbon and cooked grease.
Photo Gallery
Barrett

PostPosted: January 25, 2007, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome plating

I bet, you could go to a local machine shop or radiator shop. Machine shops usually have a vat/hot tank for parts(like cylinder heads and exhaust manifolds) and radiator shops usually have a tank/vat to soak parts in to clean them.

Or, you could find some freeze plugs(the rubber ones with a nut on one side) and seal the tubes up that way.

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1