650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Sprocket and Chain Modifications

Sprocket and Chain Modifications
    Forum Index -> Drive
ttmaniac

PostPosted: January 18, 2007, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Sprocket and Chain Modifications

I'm posting this information for those who are thinking of changing sprockets but aren't sure about stock swingarm clearance and chain length. This information is true to the best of my knowledge...please feel free to add additional information.

Rear Sprockets
38 tooth-106 link
36 tooth-104 or 106 link

Front Sprockets
18-shift shaft support removal needed
16-plenty of clearance to swingarm
15-plenty of clearance to swingarm
14-not recommended, chain will bind

Chains
530 Heavy Duty okay
520 When used with 520 sprockets
530 SuperChains may chew up your casings around front sprocket
Photo Gallery
yamaguy

PostPosted: January 19, 2007, 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sprocket and Chain Modifications

Thanks for the info TT, but I put an 18T on my '80 SG and didn't remove the shaft support. I did remove some of the rubber with a sharp utility knife and bent the support down a little where the chain meets it. Haven't noticed any rubbing, noise or ill-effects.

I started out with just changing to the 18 in the front, then after deciding I still wanted lower revs on the road, I put a 30T on the back. A little tall for alot of in-town stop and go, but liveable. Highway comfort and the more relaxed engine speed more than makes up for that.

Take care!

Jay
ttmaniac

PostPosted: January 19, 2007, 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sprocket and Chain Modifications

Thanks for the tip on the 18 tooth yamaman....I run a 17 tooth front and a 36 tooth rear....I enjoy that extra "kick" off the line cause I don't often run on the freeway....for those seeking off the line torque from a stock motor I would recommend a 36 unless you don't like the vibration at speed.
Photo Gallery
yamaguy

PostPosted: January 19, 2007, 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprocket and Chain Modifications

TT, Yeah, your 17/36 is a far cry from my 18/30! Laughing 5th gear is right where I like it to be for the highway. Approx. 3500@60. Actually 4th gear now is slightly taller than 5th was stock!

Anybody that has owned one of these knows about the crappy ratio choices Yamaha made. It's all about compromise and your style of riding that ultimately determines what you do. This is my 4th 650 and the first time I have changed sprocket sizes on one. I'm happy with the way mine turned out. I probably could have been happy with just the 18 on front, but got "gear greedy" and wanted more of a good thing. My best buddy (who I bought the bike off of) lives 50 miles south of me, and sometimes we meet at this town about halfway between, and the best (quickest) way to get there is on a 4-laner. The speed limit is 60, but everybody goes 65-75. Now I can cruise with the traffic and keep the bike in a sweet zone around 4K rpm.

I also own an 06 650 V-Strom, which is a great bike, but I just love this old Yammie. It does more for the "biker soul" than any modern bike could ever do! A poor-mans Sportster, if you will! Wink

Later,

Jay
ttmaniac

PostPosted: January 19, 2007, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprocket and Chain Modifications

yamaguy, are you running any motor mods? I can't testify to having to good of luck with the 32 tooth....maybe I'm addicted to taking off quickly...I hear what you say about "BIKER SOUL" cause I don't see very many appealing new bikes out there....you know 2 cylinders 2 carbs, a bike like tone and severe torque....maybe a 750 shadow with chain drive untill they cheaped it up and cheated the public outta the 2nd carb...shame on honda....wonder what i could do to and 04 shadow with 2 carbs, a more compression and a sprocket change....i'll think about it when I run out of 650's which may be a few years...what do you mean by poor man's sportster? I feel bad for anyone who owns one of those pitiful lead weights....xr750 sure, sportster no.
Photo Gallery
yamaguy

PostPosted: January 19, 2007, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprocket and Chain Modifications

TT, my engine is bone stock incliding the exhaust. The only mod I've done is drilling ou the metal plugs to get to the air screws and richened them up a bit. Also synched the carbs as well. Pulls stonger and smoother off the bottom now. Even with the tall gearing, it lugs away from a stop pretty well riding solo. I doubt if I do much more tinkering. It only has a little over 11K miles and runs sweet.

You know the old saying. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I've always liked bikes that were heavier in torque than horspower. I've owned over thirty bikes in my life, and have never owned a 4-cylinder bike. Thumpers, twins, and a couple triples. I do kind of like that new 1250 Bandit, though. I'm waiting to see what other kinds of models Triumph is going to come up with using that 675 triple! If they come out with a Tiger "Lite" or some cool "naked" bike, it could be bye-bye for the Strom!
ttmaniac

PostPosted: January 19, 2007, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprocket and Chain Modifications

I wish yamaha would just get with the program and build and parallel twin hemi headed xs1350 or something rude and nasty.....you'd turn the throttle and you wouldn't see straight due to vibration....awesome
Photo Gallery
yamaguy

PostPosted: January 22, 2007, 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sprocket and Chain Modifications

I've read where Triumph has a 1600cc vertical twin in the works AND a 675 Speed Triple or some kind of standard bike. I almost bought a new Bonnie instead of the Strom.

I may end up with a Triumph anyway! Laughing An XS1350 would be a big hit for sure! I agree and wish Yamaha would get there head out and quit catering to squids and wannabe posers! Evil or Very Mad
ttmaniac

PostPosted: January 22, 2007, 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sprocket and Chain Modifications

1600? That wold be an incredible torquer! I think when the sportbike and john deere v-twin craze is over you will see companies cranking out big displacement parallel twins in an attempt to keep sales up...they have to cash in on nostalgia and the xs was the most popular Yamaha of all time...imagine how that xs1350 would sell...I'd have one if you could get it for 90-100 bucks a month....it wouldn't outlast the payment book but that's beside the point!
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: January 22, 2007, 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sprocket and Chain Modifications

tt I dont think the sport bike craze is over or even close to being, and all honesty cant figure out how the great american v-twin has made it this far. But for bigger paralell twins, I dont know if you could ever get the vibration out of it. The brits tried for years and so did the japaneese. But I do agree that it would make a slick trim power plant. I would compromise for a lquid cooled fuel injected 750cc-1000 cc , dual overhead cam 5 valve, In a ex-500 style chasis. Bigger is cool but I still am leary of exsesive vibration. Now back to sportbikes have you ever had the miss fortune of riding a BUELL what a joke, A young frend of mine saved every penny he had from age 14-20, to by a cyclone. I feel sorry for him cause THE GREAT AMERICAN motorcycle manufacturer would not stand behind there product. The frame broke the exhaust broke, engine case broke, etc. Buell dealership told him if it comes in again they were going to terminate his waranty for abuse, {wheelies}. He told them look at your adds, they all say it is the best ballanced and wheelying machine made. He traded it in on a suzuki tx-1000 and BEAT THE living sh-- out of it. Never did brake...
ttmaniac

PostPosted: January 22, 2007, 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sprocket and Chain Modifications

The sport bike craze can't last forever.....remember the muscle car craze and what killed it....insurance....too many people getting hurt.

As far as vibration is concerned, I don't mind xs vibration, it lets me know I'm still alive....I think with computer technology they could quell vibration enough to run such a monster torquer.....even if it vibrated I think it would still sell....the performance numbers would tell the tale.....I just don't think Yamaha would do it cause they are to reliable and expensive to build....look at the xs....roller bearings, bi-metal construction, etc....it's longer lasting than most junk made before or after...they couldn't sell enough parts to turn a profit so untill we all beat down the doors of Yamaha headquarters it won't happen.

Yes Roy, Buell is the biggest joke in bikes out there....sportsters are junk and some crum named eric buell is trying to make it a sportbike by putting it in a crotch rocket frame and attaching a 30 gallon muffler to it...these morons will never get it...look at the bike and you can tell right away...Sh#tpile!...For enjoyment I like running down my buddy's bowling ball AMF sportster with a near stock xs....harley builds bikes like a cast iron skillet but what else is new?
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 22, 2007, 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sprocket and Chain Modifications

I also got a TRX 850, maybe you could get 1, rip out the balance shaft and rephase it! Or just ride it like it is, its a great fun bike!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1