650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Mike's New Performance Pipes?

Mike's New Performance Pipes?
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
Dent

PostPosted: February 3, 2007, 11:43 pm    Post subject: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

At the risk of starting another loud pipes debate, has anyone tried the new commando performance mufflers from MikesXS? Performance? Sound? Quality?
Jack

PostPosted: February 4, 2007, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

Dent..........If you want a true quality Commado muffler I would advise you to attend the Brit Ralley that's held every July 15th at Hiawasee,Ga,this ralley is huge and you'd have no trouble lacating a set but make sure they're for a 1 1/2 header not 1 3/8. Most of the mufflers that are sold at Mikes have a diffuser in the middle of the baffle( I might be wrong) and restrict performance but if your looking for added back pressure go for it. Good Luck.......Jack

Here's a set Really Sweet Sounding,don't know the brand or where he got them.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7hrWbFqgNQ
Dent

PostPosted: February 6, 2007, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

Thanks Jack, I'm there.
5twins

PostPosted: February 6, 2007, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

About halfway down the page on the left .....

www.walridge.com/mikestreasures.htm
Mikesxs

PostPosted: February 6, 2007, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

From Mike Lalonde Mikes XS:
I hate to dispute the statement by the man who clearly knows All things about my product line - the sources, the performance, the quality, etc. etc.
Our recently released updated “Commando “ type mufflers had the mounting points reinforced and the internals dyno developed by Heiden Tuning of the Netherlands. The increased flow of commando mufflers allows XS engines to pull cleanly thru all RPM resulting in increased power without objectionable noise levels. Myself, Jerry Heiden (Heiden Tuning - Netherlands), Takashi Kadokura - Japan and Rudiger Paustian - XS650Shop.de - Germany then made a trip last October to the factory to explain the changes. Note: the best overall muffler for Power still is the original XS1/XS2 muffler.
We purchase exhaust by ocean container loads and all types are available to us.
Currently we have every key part to keep the XS on the road long term either on order, on the way or in stock.
All of our parts are now sourced outside of the USA, purchased in vast quantities and none are “Emgo” or other brands.
All original type parts offered are designed to exceed original quality and sell at 1/3- 1/2 of Yamaha retail price (even the Yamaha factory parts we sell). Yamaha Europe has requested that Mikes XS help them to produce exhaust.
These are the “Facts” for those who are interested.

PS: Mikes XS and his related companies provide parts to small companies like Shell Thuet thru to the very largest (Parts Unlimited/Dennis Kirk) and yes, even Walridge has been a good long term customer.

Mike
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 7, 2007, 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

Hi Mike, good to see you on this forum,I am sure that your contributions will be enjoyed by many!
May I point you out a slight problem with your needle bearing swing arm kit=
650rider.com/Forums/vi...=1188.html

I was otherwise impressed with your delivery, landed as orderd and within 2 weeks to Australia. cheers

Jack

PostPosted: February 7, 2007, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

To Mr.Lalone

With all do respect Sir, before you jump my ass accusing me of slandering your so called quality products, I might suggest that you read the context in " Parenthesis" and my comments where in reference to the so called muffers you claim to be no longer sold by your company and if that is the case then great cuz I've seen the cheap mufflers that you've sold in the past,which incidentally could of been purcahse at any motorcycle outlet and this particular muffler did indeed have a built in disfuser that was I referring to in my post and as a performance oriented individual who knows better that this particular style of baffle system resticts the engines breathing capacity from it's true potential and as a true XS 650 enthusiast,I will continue to for warn members to shy away from this particular style regardless if your company or Joe Blow down the street sells them, my actions have nothing to do with you or your company personally
Sincerely Jack
Mikesxs

PostPosted: February 8, 2007, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

All exhausts that we state are upgraded, dyno developed, or original replicas, are just that. Baffles do differ on these.
Yes, we do sell some low price universal mufflers that appear to be the same as many others, but even these are ordered with better baffles. Virtually all types of universal mufflers including straight through types are produced to a price.
We know of no other importers who even care about the noise, performance, durability, or design. If they work well it’s usually incidental. Most companies order by price alone, and order the very cheapest versions available .
At a glance, all may seem the same, but there are many differences and you get what you pay for.
I have personally sold over 20,000 MAC exhaust systems and these sell very well for one reason only - a low price!
Our main focus is on replacement parts, upgraded when can, but we are not trying to turn the XS into a late model motorcycle.

Mike Lalonde Mikes XS
Jack

PostPosted: February 8, 2007, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

Hey Mike............ I truly doaplogize if I've offendedyou in any way,it simply was'nt my intention Probably one of my biggest faults is not being constructive enough in my postings,that the contextual meassage in misunderstood.....Jack
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 12, 2007, 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

Mike, do you need to rejet if you buy the XS1 copy for the late model XS? The headpipes are single wall so I expect better breathing which usually means more fuel.

Thanks,
Bill

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Mikesxs

PostPosted: February 12, 2007, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

Rejetting is necessary on 80-84's with the stock emissions BS34CV carbs
and it is a good idea to do it on all 74 & up models (every year got jetted leaner & leaner). Someone who can tune should do this and it's worth paying someone who knows how to do it. Every bike differs a bit and there is no exact sizes I can tell you that you need (damn crystal ball is on the blink again). Rejetting properly will give you cooler running (pipes should not blue), more power and a clean pull thru all RPM without stumbles. Note: This All depends on having the rest of the bikes systems being right. New pipes do not fix a bad ignition, charging system or other troubles.

Mike
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 24, 2007, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

Ok - if Mike is still out there ...

If I wanted to buy NEW replacement mufflers / and or Pipes for my 1981 650 special - Do you sell any type that DOESN'T require re-jetting?
(I would like them to look and sound the same if possible)
Or are you saying "EVERYTHING" you sell will require re-jetting?

I like my stock pipes - but they "rattle" like something has broken off inside them.

I want to stay as close as possible to stock - and I like the way my carbs run now - so I really don't want to have to mess with them - unless I have to.

And IF I do - what range / type of Jets do I need to buy?

(so I have a selection to fine tune with)

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
brasco18
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 25, 2007, 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

I would like to know like Jimdi. I need new mufflers and am assuming I will need to rejet.
Photo Gallery
80xs65015

PostPosted: September 27, 2007, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

ok i have just purchased a 1980 xs650 speacial.....can i take the baffles out and if so will this effect the way it runs?
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 27, 2007, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

THe 80 was the leanist xs made...........pm me..........I can help.......

Xsjohn
Photo Gallery
81XSChopper
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 28, 2007, 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

Hey Mike,

Thanks for giving us your perspective and for all the time & effort to help us enthusiasts.

greg

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4) XS650 Bobber; Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 panhead; XL chopped. Current Rides: Yamaha 81XS650H Cchopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 CB 750F Stock
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 29, 2007, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

Beats me why anyone would want to run an XS with standard or replica silencers(mufflers) they strangle the life out of the bike! ...Fit Triumph or Norton straight-through jobs(or similar) and let your motor breathe & perform the way the japs originally intended!
Over here in England the only people who fit stock/replica-stock pipes & mufflers are the boring farts looking to win points for 'originality' at classic shows...
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: September 29, 2007, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

Quote::
Note: the best overall muffler for Power still is the original XS1/XS2 muffler.
What year bike were thay on Note: muffler for Power still is the original XS1/XS2 muffler.? the xs1/xs2 that is.

Photo Gallery
ekwlee

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

i woudln't mind hearing hte same answer from jimdi's question too...thanks mike!
Mikesxs

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's New Performance Pipes?

XS1 Mufflers are No longer the Best for Power, the newly revised Short Megaphone # 07-0114 is the best for power but the XS1 still rates high for power if you want to keep the sound down as well. Commando types are also very good.

We continue to dyno develop more mufflers and systems and warn that
almost all other similar appearing mufflers make the XS run poorly as they contain poorly designed(no design baffels). Note: One company in Taiwan makes more than 90 percent of the aftermarket mufflers sold in the world including ours - But ours are made for us to our proven designs.

Mike @ Mikes XS

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1