650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Building exhaust - ID and reversion/pressure wave questions

Building exhaust - ID and reversion/pressure wave questions
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
Tommyjoking

PostPosted: April 25, 2009, 4:52 am    Post subject: Building exhaust - ID and reversion/pressure wave questions

Smile Oh boy

I got my 81 XS Special in pieces all over my garage. I will be turning up a custom exhaust in stainless. I love the look of "mile" pipes as that says flattrack to me but I have seen a couple of interesting examples with 1 pipe on each side being perfectly symmetrical. At any rate my ??? revolve around tuning issues.

I am planning on using 1.402 ID tube. I have already welded up some short megaphone cans which will use just enough packing to take the edge off (exit diameter is larger then OD of headers). The stock carbs will be ditched in favor of 34-36mm flatsides or roundslides with K&N velocity stack type filters. Cams will never be more then a Hot street grind, I do not intend to shorten valve guides or grind reliefs in pistons.

My questions revolve around the ID of the exhaust: Due to limitations on rpm (valvetrain, bottom end, rods etc.) I doubt this engine will move enough air to need more then my ID of 1.402 . However I do not want to have the exhaust "open" and the midrange fall flat on its face, after all thats the appeal of this old school twin isn't it? The real question is do I need to add restriction at the head or downstream to keep my torque #s as high as possible Wink . If to add past the head (downstream) how far for the best possible pressure wave timing, generally speaking of course (cams/timing/ignition)? Experimenting at the head is not that problematic, but tuning reversion timing elsewhere could be a nightmare.......any experience is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for any responses
Tommy
Tommyjoking

PostPosted: April 26, 2009, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Building exhaust - ID and reversion/pressure wave questi

Oh cmon

Surely some of you have raced these motors and have a guideline/tip or two....I am not trying to build a blueprinted race spec motor for sale!!! I am building a daily driver I want to get as much as I can out of and have it run the next day. These engines have been around for about 50 years......the homework has already happened Shocked help a fella out please.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 28, 2009, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Building exhaust - ID and reversion/pressure wave questi

Mikes sells a set of reversion cones to keep the back pressure up.............here is another way to do it if you are not worried about cutting up the old exhaust.......... gently cut off outer pipe where it is welded to the gasket inserts, cut off the old inserts and place into the new pipe .........how long ? Don't know, this is info i have found and other people have done it

gasketinserts ofold pipe.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  598.53 KB
 Viewed:  285 Time(s)

gasketinserts ofold pipe.jpg

inserts of old pipes exhaust.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  540.08 KB
 Viewed:  273 Time(s)

inserts of old pipes exhaust.jpg

Photo Gallery
Tommyjoking

PostPosted: April 30, 2009, 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Building exhaust - ID and reversion/pressure wave questi

THANKS Very Happy the stock exhaust is trashed...no problem cutting and using as you describe. It would not be too much trouble for me to turn out some different length/dia inserts and see what they do.

Since I really can't turn out 20 different bends and weld in inserts in multiple locations..$$$$..experimenting right at the exhaust port is my only realistic option. I will try wide open and start working my way back down from there I reakon.

Thx again
Tommy
5twins

PostPosted: April 30, 2009, 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Building exhaust - ID and reversion/pressure wave questions

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 16, 2009, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
nj1639

PostPosted: April 30, 2009, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Building exhaust - ID and reversion/pressure wave questions

Hey 5twins,
Are they 2 into 1 Mac's? If so, any carb changes from stock?

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 30, 2009, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Building exhaust - ID and reversion/pressure wave questions

5twins..........Couldn't remember where i had got that info from..........will make note of the extra insert for when i need to use this ...........Thanks
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1