650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Paint for pipes

Paint for pipes
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
4lungfreak

PostPosted: November 3, 2006, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

The can I got also says it's for stoves, radiators and grills. I'm kinda leaning towards using that anyway. The way I figure; if it doesn't last all that long I'll just strip it off and re-paint. Or replace my $5.00 pipes.

I made my exhaust pipes from galvanized chain link fence tubing (don't laugh). But I couldn't pass it up. It was only $5 and change for a 5'6" tube which I cut in half and made both pipes from. And the best part is it fit over the headers so tight that I didn't even have to use a clamp. All I did is tap the pipes in with the end of a 2x6 until they were both the same lenght. Then I hung them from the stock location behind the passanger foot pegs.

Has anyone ever used this tubing before?

Will the paint adhere to galvanized tubing?

I AM planning on wrapping the headers eventually, but the stuff costs $50 at the local auto parts store. Are there any other sources?

Paul
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 3, 2006, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

I love it. The zinc may affect the adhesion. If the paint costs $3.99 then you will have $8.99 in your exhaust. Worst that happens is you repaint your grill with the extra.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 3, 2006, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

I bought a roll of header tape 8 years ago and never got around to using it. Still good as new. It's yours for $25 including shipping. PM me if you want it.
Photo Gallery
MildMitch

PostPosted: November 3, 2006, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

ok, I gotta say this, Sorry!
Galvanized pipe is BAD Medicine! Like welding chrome. Don't use it for hi temp applications. It's very toxic to breath those fumes. Fire up the bike and walk away for the day, let it burn off while your not around.
OK, got that off my chest.
just my $.02
Mitch

4lungfreak

PostPosted: November 4, 2006, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

Embarassed Embarassed WOW Embarassed Embarassed

Crying or Very sad I had NO idea Crying or Very sad

I guess I'll have to take them off and put the shorty megaphones back on. But you know, I've already ran about 5 miles with them around the hood and didn't smell anything odd. What, if anything, is it supposed to smell like?

I did notice a little discoloration at the front where they hook to the header pipe but not much. In fact, the rear tips are so far back they don't even get that hot. Do you think it might be OK after I paint them??? Or can they be powder or ceramic coated???

That's too bad too, cause I really like the way they look. I was already planning on adding some fish tail tips after I painted the pipes black. I think they would've looked bad ass.

Another thing I wanted to do was convert them into lake pipes. That would've been killer. I haven't seen any bikes with lake pipes. Are there any pics out there?

Paul
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 4, 2006, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

You might be able to sand blast the coating off. But make sure you wear a resperator. Then you will have to paint it or it will rust very quickly.
Photo Gallery
jetmechmarty

PostPosted: November 5, 2006, 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

Zinc melts at about 900 degrees F and vaporizes at about 1650 degrees F. I don't see a problem unless you're welding it.

Marty (in Georgia)

4lungfreak

PostPosted: November 6, 2006, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

Thanks for that info, Marty. Really appreciate it.

I read on-line about a guy that died from breathing the fumes. But this guy was actually trying to melt the zync off the pipes in a hi temp oven. The zinc melted off and burned the seal on the oven door and he breathed excessive amounts of heavy fumes.

Reading this scared the crap out of me Shocked . I guess it doesn't always pay to be a cheap bastard.

So I took off the fencing pipe and headed to the local auto parts store to look for exhaust tips Idea . And the stuff they carry looks EXACTLY like the galvanized pipe I have. I could swear it's galvanized also.

Does anyone know if it is Question

Anyway, they got some cool stuff, for as little as $5 a piece. Straight, turn downs, slash cut, etc....

Paul
MildMitch

PostPosted: November 7, 2006, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for pipes

Exhaust (steel) tubing is Aluminized these days, different stuff. I can't tell you how it is, but it is. Not to worry with actual exhaust tube.
Mitch

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2