650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > Top End Work > > head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??

head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??
    Forum Index -> Top End Work
mexipike

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 1:09 pm    Post subject: head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??

So I have a pretty decent leak at the head gasket. I tried retorqueing to a higher torque all the bolts per a thread I saw here, but it's still leaking a little bit. I also need to replace cam chain guide bar. I know a mechanic, who I trust and highly regard, who will do it all for me, and do a valve job while the engines off. I'm tempted to just let him do it, but I'm also tempted to do it myself. I'm confident that I can get the engine off the bike, and replace the gasket, and cam guide, but my worry is that I won't be able to tell if the valves need adjusting or if anything else is wrong. SO I guess my question is how hard are these things to figure out. If I get the engine off and start looking at things with a good shop manual and you guys help, can I make it happen?? Opinions...
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??

It's all pretty easy if you read the manual........and all you can do is screw it up.....then you do it again and pretty soon your an expert.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
mexipike

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??

That being said, which manual do you guys like better haynes or clymer. I have the clymer, gets a little confusing.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??

If you just read the manual without taking it apart it would appear confusing......If you watch how things come apart you will know how they go back together......and you really need an electric or air impact wrench and a hammer impact for the clutch spring screws.......

And if you leave the pistons in the bore and just pull the pins you won't have to break it in again......"if it ran ok before hand"......getting the front chain guide in straight is pretty important too.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??

Haynes..Cant get my head round the Clymers.. Confused
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2009, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??

If you pay a mechanic everytime you need work on the bike, it will get to be very expensive. These bikes are not difficult to work on. If you want to learn how bikes work, then this is your chance. You need to spend some time reading the past threads on the engine forum. Many of your questions have already been answered.
Photo Gallery
mexipike

PostPosted: April 16, 2009, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??

Yeah I'm starting to see the light. I'm going to order the gasket and the cam guide bar next week then, get the engine off the bike. Anything I should order while I'm at it that tends to need replacing? My thoughts right now are to get the engine off the bike, get the head off, and then decide whether or not I want to try to do a valve job, or take it to a machine shop. A reputable bike shop in town will do a valve job if I bring the head for 100 bucks. That may be worth it as I don't have the tools necessary to do the job (or really even a decent workshop) and buying them would almost cost that. I agree retired gentleman, that you'll spend a lot of money if you pay for a mechanic every time, and I learned that lesson the hard way. Pretty much everything else on the bike at this point I've done myself, so maybe this needs to be that way too, although professional help is sometimes nice.

Thanks,
John
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 16, 2009, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??

You should do a compression test while the engine is still running. That may tell you what needs to be done inside the engine.
Photo Gallery
mexipike

PostPosted: April 16, 2009, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??

I did a compression test about two months ago and it was right on. (the bike had the same problems then)
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: April 16, 2009, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??

If your head gasket was leaking then how come your compression test was right on, and what is right on?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 16, 2009, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: head gasket leak repair, engine rebuild??

it's quite possible to have a oil leak and still have compession or a compression loss without a oil leak just depends where it's at and what remains sealed

Forum Index -> Top End Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1