650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > exhaust header question

exhaust header question
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
borjawil

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 10:42 am    Post subject: exhaust header question

So i was once told that without the mufflers on the header pipes that when you cut off the power cold air will rush through the pipes to the valves and possibly warp them. Well i ve seen lots of bikes with home made pipes with out mufflers and pipes with look to be exhaust tips or short mufflers on them. How do they run these short pipes without the effect of the cold air? I like the sound of the headers without the mufflers, and i know people drill out the baffles on their exhaust, wouldnt that just make it a longer header pipe basically?

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

On an 81 the pipes are double walled, a pipe within a pipe with an air gap. The bad part is the outer pipe has cooling & drain holes in it. Look furthur down on the posts and youll see how an adaptor can be used to get around this problem that was shown to me last week
borjawil

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

well i have an adapter that connects on the inside pipe allowing mufflers to connect properly. my question is more how home made pipes dont have the problem of cold air reaching the engine when shut off

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

Well first of all where are you getting this rush of cold air from? Unless you park your bike with the open end of the pipes facing a wind storm on a winters day where is this cold rush of air you are refering to? Ok, even if cold air were introduced into a hot pipe it would most likely end up being warm air by the time it reached the valves.... I think whom ever told you that is jerking your chain... I ran straight pipes on every bike I had in my younger days until I learned its next to impossible to get a bike to run properly with them, but it had nothing to do with warped valves, but rather the lack of back pressure, but thats something entirely different than what you are talking about......BG

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

i see. yea the person said the vaccum or something causes air to rush up the pipes or some thing. i dont know. Anywho thank you for answering my questions. Smile
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

borjawil wrote:
So i was once told that........

Never heard that one before mate!

Exhausts have their uses, look at 2 strokes, fairly useless without chambers. Not quite to the same degree, however still important, are the dimensions of a 4 stroke pipe - muffler and how it relates to a particular engine & its state of tune!

The site I've attached here is very good at explaining how exhaust gasses work if your a scientist! But the pics tell a story. Though they are talking jets, it's the same principle for exhaust gasses! The gasses need room to expand & contract. In most cases, lobbing off half the exhaust will just result in a poor state of tune as well as being painfuly loud.

Things like drag cars run short direct pipes (and keep their valves), but to build a expansion chamber to suit their flow would end in a huge system, so they cut their losses & run as they do. As everything, it's a compromise!

www.allstar.fiu.edu/ae...ocket3.htm

Some good info here on back pressure BG:

www.uucmotorwerks.com/...uemyth.htm

woodman

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

Putting a small screw with a wingnut & some washers in the end of the pipe will help give it some back pressure and help a little on the tuning and youll still be able to get the obnoxious noise you want Rolling Eyes
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

Haven't seen these Snuff or Nut's in a while but I used them years ago......coud set them intermediate for some semblance of sanity.......xsjohn

snuff or nut 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.65 KB
 Viewed:  321 Time(s)

snuff or nut 3.jpg

Photo Gallery
borjawil

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

interesting. thanks for the help and ideas!

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

thats why i bought pipes with removable baffles...$11.00 from JP cycles. so for those days when i want no baffles out they come. But the bike does run alot better with them. Very Happy
BigGeorge

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

oldskoolcool wrote:
thats why i bought pipes with removable baffles...$11.00 from JP cycles. so for those days when i want no baffles out they come. But the bike does run alot better with them. Very Happy
The reason your bike does not run as good when you remove the baffles is the mixture becomes leaner and also your bike will run hotter with a leaner mixture .. When ever you make changes to the air intake or exhaust you should make changes to the carb mixture to compensate..........BG

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

Quote::
The reason your bike does not run as good when you remove the baffles is the mixture becomes leaner and also your bike will run hotter with a leaner mixture .. When ever you make changes to the air intake or exhaust you should make changes to the carb mixture to compensate..........BG

Rolling Eyes yeah i didn't know that already...
JLukasik

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

No pipe at all could lead to valve damage, but if there is some sort of exhaust they should survive.
woodman

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

used to run the wingnut & washers on a 72 Sportster with drag pipes, you wouldnt believe the difference they make. That was 37 years ago though and they give me headaches now but whatever turns you on. It works !
wesleyonoel

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust header question

Ah, Snuff-or-Nots (at least that's what I remember)...... Used to be very popular on the 250 and 305 Honda scramblers with the upswept pipes on the left hand side of the scooter. As I recall, original equipment was a pretty big 2-into-1 muffler arrangement that was thought to be rather unsightly. Don't recall any difference in performance with the exhaust wide open or "snuffed"............those scooters weren't much more than noise anyway. Not disparaging them.......I still own a 250 model! Interesting pieces of Japanese motorcycle history............Wes

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1