650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > 'Nother Dumb Question!

'Nother Dumb Question!
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
tacoswild

PostPosted: January 29, 2009, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

Well it's a fairly tall bike, at least mine is, can't say for the later ones. My uncle and one of my buddies can't get their feet down on mine.

Sort of on the same subject, what are some popular bikes for shorter/lighter riders? I'd love to get a certain 5' 3" lady into the sport. She's expressed an interest but also said she's afraid they don't make bikes that would fit her. I don't ask what she weighs but it aint much, she's a tiny thing. I know there must be some bikes out there that would work but didn't have an answer for her.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 29, 2009, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

Tasco........might consider these.....a friend has one........would be perfect for a lady.....maybe a bit older one to save some bucks.....he gets 60mpg and it handles wonderful......nice and low... ..

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 29, 2009, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

eye, I know a five foot and not very much fella with one, made for him!
Didn't stop him racing 350/500 BSA's back in the day though either!

tacoswild

PostPosted: January 30, 2009, 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

great seat height at 26 inches but pretty heavy at 553 pounds (wet). I noticed the cbr125 while I was at the honda site though, never noticed that model before. 30" seat but only 280 pounds with a full tank!
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 30, 2009, 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

The C2 is probably not the best bike to learn on.....center of gravity is pretty low though.......and they will stay up with a xs650....and even pass it on the high end.....wonder if you could go on any kind of a little trip on a 125........the way they make them run now maybe so.......wind might blow you off the road though.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

Taco -

Here's a cbr125 in Nanaimo...
victoria.en.craigslist...19880.html

I have seen quite a few in Victoria, even had a close up look at one in the neighbourhood. The woman who rides it is quite small. Looks like a nice bike, narrow and light. I have seen an all black paint job as well. I think starting on a small bike is a great idea, insurance should be cheap enough to plate it year round, my 350 runs about $30 a month and I think it is the same rate class.

I remember being in Britain in the mid 90's and their were a lot of 125 two strokes about, Gammas and NSR's. Somehow the sportbike styling looks better on small bikes to me, skinny tank and fairing, seemed much more like a GP bike than a GSXR or Ninja.
JeffM

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

Hey man-

Here's another!
www.usedvictoria.com/c...ad/7913912
tacoswild

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

So there's a few out there hmmm... tempting. I'd probably have fun with it for a bit even if she didn't like it.
JeffM

PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

I'm thinking 'good winter bike'. Don't even have to WD40 it with all that plastic!
xsleo

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

tacoswild, take the lady to a shop that sells a couple different brands, and in a variety of sizes. let her set on a few and find one that fits her. then build a 650 to match the one that fits.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 4, 2009, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

The Virago XV250 and Honda's Rebel are popular cruiser style starter bikes.

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

Well the cbr125 wasn't her thing but I think we have a winner, the plain old cb125. She saw a little cafe style BSA single that lives in our neighborhood and said that was the style she liked then really fell for these cafe cb125, especially the grey/red one:

So the search is on for a project bike. Anyone in Vancouver or Seattle have one in their shed? Very Happy
Barbara

PostPosted: March 6, 2009, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

Hi Tacos,

Well, I've got a BSA B-25 250cc single that would make a great, easy-starting little cafe bike, only with that BSA thing: cheap to purchase, and expensive to restore. It wouldn't take much to pick it up--like $350.00 or $400.00, but it would take four or five times that to really make it nice and get it running and all that.

However, when it is done, it will be a neat little bike. Not a highway bike, obviously, but with flat bars, a cafe seat (or the stock BSA unit), rear-sets and the nice brand new low pipe I have for it, it has......(wait for it)........potential.

Yes, the horrible "P" word.

Oh, if you are actually interested, I know a guy on the Island--he lives in Duncan--who can supply most any BSA (or other Brit) parts necessary. Very nice guy.....

Just a thought, if your wife really wants a classic cafe bike. Very Happy

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
Millie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: March 7, 2009, 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

Thanks for the offer Barb! A 250 would be more practical and a BSA would definitely be more "the real thing" but I don't have a lot of money to put into this project. This is for my girlfriend and she can't afford it right now so I'm going to take it on as a project of my own then if she likes it later she can buy it. Or I'll keep it, who knows Smile

I have only one lead so far, a guy in washington has two of them but he can't seem to find the time to get titles for them. I found his website and saw he has a dozen vintage cars being restored and sold. I see why he doesn't have a lot of time for the little cb's now.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 7, 2009, 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

A 250 Virago is a great starter.Supposedly better than the Rebel. A 250 Ninja is also a good one. The Ninja will do the ton and is a 6 speed. Cheap used ones abound. I have one as my other ride.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 7, 2009, 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 'Nother Dumb Question!

jayel wrote:
do you really think that H-D Arnie rides has a kicker? however he does have a sidecar so watch what you say, Barb might be listening

Why would Arnie need a kicker? When his bike doesn't start, he has a tow service come and haul it to the junkyard while a dealer delivers a new bike to him wherever he happens to be standing.

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2