650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > Finally - a little progress!

Finally - a little progress!
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
Xumi

PostPosted: February 25, 2009, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Finally - a little progress!

Well, my parts arrived Monday - so after more than 1 year break, the restoration continues.

This bike was a barn find on Craigslist. Price was perfect (free - the guy even delivered). Hasn't been registered since '96. Bugs had invaded the carbs.. not sure what kind, some kind of beetle that liked to make mud homes.. in carburators. The fuel lines were completely packed, as were the bowls.... like they had been sitting in a mud bath for a few years. Lots of surface rust - especially on the chrome.. but the engine turned over nicely on the kick start and most of it was still there.

First stage was to clean it thoroughly and find out the obvious - what's broke... some of the bigger items:

Tank completely rusty

Missing turn signals on left side.. broken off. No scratches on rest of bike though.. maybe just dropped?

Missing side covers.
Missing air filters.

Clutch completely frozen - cannot barely gears or get clutch to engage fully. Took about 20 minutes to get it to go into neutral to roll.

Brakes completely non-functional.

Fork seals completely blown and old dirty oil all over the forks.

So far:

Brake rebuild both front and rear. Surprisingly, they were in better shape than I imagined.. a lot of crystalized brake fluid and some junk.. but after a thorough cleaning and completely flushing the old fluid and replacing... Both appear to be working beautifully. Pistons were in good shape Somehow.

Continued clean up as parts come off the bike. De-rusted the chrome, and it appears to be in much better condition than I expected. Will see if it lasts.

De-rusted tank using electrolysis method - Turned out beautiful.

Ignition: Replaced Plugs, wires, caps, and 1 set of points (I figured since on Mike's it said "Set" - it would come as a pair.. nope). Will clean up the better looking of the other set and see if it'll do for now. Got spark. Life is good (will time it later).

Fuel: Replaced left petcock, planning on plugging right side and running a T - never have liked the dual petcock setup. Cleaned carbs thoroughly (but probably not enough.. will go through them again).

Electrical: Cleaned connections and switches, fuse clips.

Ran jumpers from a car battery - Electrics appear OK. Turn signal switch is still pretty mushy even after cleaning. Starter turns over the motor. Small spray of starter fluid down the carb barrels resulted in brief start of the motor.. Nice!

Cables: Replaced broken throttle cable (rusted through)
Engine -
Replaced kick start oil seal.
Oiled clutch plates (moderate improvement.. it shifts now, if rough)
Lights - Replaced missing turn signals that were given to me
Body - replaced side covers

Todo:
Rewind kick starter spring that popped loose when I pulled the right cover
Oil
Replace Tach cable
Replace fork seals
Finish rebuild of fuel lines with T
Rewire left turn signals
Replace battery
Clean carburetors again
Replace air filters
Lubricate everything (wheel bearings, swing arm, steering neck, etc)
Replace seat hinge pins (why they were missing is anyone's guess)

I'm sure I'll discover more as I move along... but it's looking a far cry better than when I got it.

Will post pictures later. Smile

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally - a little progress!

Wow! Quite the project, and when it's done, you'll certainly know your bike. Pictures will be great! Looking forward to seeing them...
Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
Millie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally - a little progress!

Thanks Barb - this is definitely a "Zombie" project at the moment. I'll take some pics tonight and see about posting them.
'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally - a little progress!

Minor update:

Got the clutch put back together.. the kick starter assembly is deceptively simple, and what a pain to get it wound correctly!

After working on it about an hour the previous night, I gave up, then came back at it last night.. Only took 3 tries that time and I got it (the 2nd try sprung loose when my hand was in the way, and the clip tore my finger open a little.. not bad but it did anoint the clutch with a few drops of blood!)

My guess.. the bike needed a blood sacrifice, because after it bit me and I bled on it, it went together perfectly after that.

Put some fresh oil in it and gave it about 30 kicks to move the oil around a bit, since it's been sitting so long... called it a night.

Will post some pics definitely of my single petcock conversion as it comes along - it might be a useful mod for others too (hopefully will finish that tonight).

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally - a little progress!

Love it, deceptively simple! You get that bike going and you may never get rid of it. They become an extension of yourself.
xsleo

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Finally - a little progress!

I read thru your list. One thing i might suggest is to pull the sump plate to check the sump filter, they often have holes in them. I'm not sure why they tear up, but they do. Checking the filter in the right side cover too, not often torn, but dirty.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Finally - a little progress!

it is the oil entering back into to sump area pushes against the screen and over time it stretches and then rips. the only and best way to fix this is to make a deflector. if your filter is torn u got to patch it or replace it first though. Smile
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Finally - a little progress!

tito650 wrote:
it is the oil entering back into to sump area pushes against the screen and over time it stretches and then rips. the only and best way to fix this is to make a deflector. if your filter is torn u got to patch it or replace it first though. Smile

Can you elaborate on how you made the deflector? It makes total sense,and I would like to install one,as I am going to be putting in the mikesxs sump filter anyway.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Finally - a little progress!

Thats the ecxact method Ive been using for years except I use gauze instead of tin-plate..Easy, wrapped round , no glue or weld..Seems to last for years.
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
tito650

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Finally - a little progress!

all i used was thin stainless sheet metal. cut the height to match the filter. and bend to fit the contours of the filter. the only hard thing is ,when u first cut it out is to leave a little tab that u can bend over and drill. one of the filter bolts goes through it to hold it. it's realy easy to make and you'll never have another ripped filter again Very Happy
Photo Gallery
danno

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Finally - a little progress!

Thanks for the info,tito! I have a surplus of 20 gauge stainless,and I'm gonna do this mod! I'm willing to bet that you could sell these for $20 a whack (except to me,because I'm cheap,and you have already revealed your secret ). Amongst yourself,xsjohn,5twins,cooltouch,retiredgentleman,and others that may chime in,I have found this site to be a goldmine of information!
tito650

PostPosted: March 1, 2009, 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Finally - a little progress!

lol realy nothing to them Laughing your welcome
Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: March 4, 2009, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally - a little progress!

Thanks for the tips guys - will check it out. Had already cleaned the right side filter while I had everything apart.

No progress report today though.. got pulled into a home improvement project that is running WAY over schedule, so looks like it's going to be at least a week before I can even get to my bike in the garage, so much as turn a wrench. Sad

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1