650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Stock Bikes > > Original Equipment Restoration Projects > > Stock Parts Exchange?

Stock Parts Exchange?
    Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects
Barbara

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Stock Parts Exchange?

Hi Guys,

So I'm sitting here, a little bored and a little lethargic, and I was just wondering how we could figure out a means of getting the stock parts we need. I know---"e-mail MikesXS"---that's not what I mean. I'm wondering if we could have a place to find original bits from other owners, that we might need. It poses an interesting problem---if we post here, everyone else is building a stock bike, and will want to keep their parts. If we post on the cafe or bobber boards, the parts may already be trashed or sold.

I dunno. As with all my questions, I'm just musing, and wondering how everyone else would solve the problem. For example, I have a set of stock handlebars from my '79 Special which will need a home, and the cables for those bars which will have to be replaced when the clip-ons are mounted. I need a side panel for the off-side. I may go with painted fenders and a Brit-style front license plate, in which case perhaps the stock fenders would be trading stock.

So how do we go about moving these things around so they end up where they will help, and not cost the moon? There must be a way.......

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
Millie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
wesleyonoel

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Parts Exchange?

Barb:
Interesting circumstance. I imagine there are lots of stock pieces out and about judging by the number of non-stock scooters on this site. Don't get me wrong.........I like them all. Just have a '73 TX that's so close to all original I really don't want to cut it up. As a result, I have been looking for certain pieces to toss in the mix. And for my eye, I like this particular model in stock configuration - personal preference - great silhouette.

I'm not beyond altering the appearance though. I have been inspired by some of the cafe and bobber style efforts and am on the trail of one, maybe 2 more 650's in the local area. One is a bone-stock '72, the other a later model - maybe a '74? The latter is in pieces so might be a candidate for customization. It's darned hard to ruin the look of this platform in my opinion..........

Anyway, I have no particular idea to solve the dilemma of advertising stock parts. Maybe it will be a matter of tossing it about in one forum or another. But it sure would be nice to quizz others regarding their spare, and potentially available parts.................................Wes
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Parts Exchange?

Wouldn't that be what the stock parts forum is for?

Forum Index -> Original Equipment Restoration Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1