650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > Some pics of my XS650 project

Some pics of my XS650 project
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: December 8, 2008, 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I do feel like my welds are getting better. I don't know what I would do without that thing, I love it. Smile

I definitely thought about changing the front area, but most likely the only thing i'm going to do is smooth the factory welds.
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: December 15, 2008, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Finally got my electrical box built today, I just need to smooth it out and make the cover for it. Added a bunch of holes to the sides for airflow, single hole in the back for the wires, and two holes in the front for the Momentary switches for the air system.

This is a lot cleaner setup than I had before, Now it's real simple, the top button for up, and the bottom one for down.

Almost finished with the metal prep finally, just a little bit more to go and I can prime everything up.

Although it's the wrong time to paint right now, we had a high of 6 degrees today, and it's supposed to stay like this for a week or so.

Thanks for looking
Sky
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: December 21, 2008, 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

A break in the action to go sledding with my 9 month old daughter Smile

my wife

Little vid:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUNDTAE7jK4

Back to our regularly scheduled program tomorrow Smile
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: December 25, 2008, 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Whipped together most of my makeshift paint booth today Smile

Going to wrap it in plastic tomorrow:

Finally finished with all the metal prep. Phew, that sucked. I still have to strip a couple items and fill the little dents in the tank, then etch the metal.
Thanks to Mechwerks for the tip about getting the metal etch for cheaper at Home Depot:

Got some of the paint, still need the silver and clear.

And here's most of what's waiting for paint, more little things here and there, but this is the majority of it. Now I just need it to warm up at least a little bit around here!

One of these days the bike will actually be done, I swear it!
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: December 26, 2008, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Oh yea, I'm ready to etch some metal now!

XSDAD

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

nice job, what time do you want me, and everyone else on here, to drop our bikes off at?

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Eeeek..........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Good God, you lucky b****** ! How do you find the time (or the money)for all that when youve got kids ? Ive managed to do zilch on mine this year since my latest daughter was born 14 months ago & the missus robs me of every penny I earn... Rolling Eyes .. Saving for a new battery..... Sad
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

XSDAD wrote:
nice job, what time do you want me, and everyone else on here, to drop our bikes off at?

I thought about that, it seems like such a waste to make this whole thing, then just take it down after mine is painted Smile

xs1961 wrote:
Good God, you lucky b****** ! How do you find the time (or the money)for all that when youve got kids ? Ive managed to do zilch on mine this year since my latest daughter was born 14 months ago & the missus robs me of every penny I earn... Rolling Eyes .. Saving for a new battery..... Sad

Well the first thing you need to do is get laid off Confused

While I'm searching for another job, I'm watching my little girl during the day, and try to get some work done when she takes her naps. It's a tricky balancing act but it's coming along. Also, the booth itself only cost about $60 to make.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Ive gone onto a 3-day week so's I can look after my little'un but everytime she takes a nap I fall asleep too! Smile
Nice work.

Photo Gallery
Yamaha_chop

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Got my tank stripped today:

Man, what a pain in the butt! took several coats of paint stripper, then sanding afterward. Still have to finish stripping the front half of the frame itself, and the air tank, but I'm getting really close to priming everything.

I'm also about a hairs-width away from deciding to darth Vader this bike. I know black has been done to death, but I'm just not liking my color combo's right now. I'm thinking about the bike being all black (gloss black not flat black), with chrome wheels, chrome headlight/taillight, and polished forks, everything else black, could be really cool.

What do you guys think?
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Def black frame..Much easier to keep clean.. I vary my tanks every few months to kid myself Im riding a new bike.. Cool
Photo Gallery
XSDAD

PostPosted: December 28, 2008, 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

in my opinion, humble it may be, your bike is a bit too nice to be all black, it needs to stick out.

PostPosted: December 29, 2008, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

XSDAD wrote:
in my opinion, humble it may be, your bike is a bit too nice to be all black, it needs to stick out.

That's what I originally planned as well. but when it comes right down to it, I'm not a flashy guy, and all black is a timeless classic.
XSDAD

PostPosted: December 29, 2008, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

I get you on not being flashy... have you thought of all black with red pinstripping, or a bit of red, like 1/8 inch wide stripe, along the outter rim (like on the Vrod midnight special). Just an idea. A tiny bit of detailing could make a big difference in how many trophies this thing wins... cause at this point, it's not if, it's how many.

PostPosted: January 4, 2009, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

It begins-

Overall I'm pretty happy with how the primer went on.

There was a moment about 2 minutes into the painting where I was scared of what I got myself into. But when it all comes down to it, you can't learn unless you try, and if I screw it up, who cares? Give it another try down the road I guess Smile

I'll update as I go along
Sky
yellow11

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

That is a very cool ride!
yellow11

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

XSDAD

PostPosted: January 8, 2009, 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

PostPosted: January 13, 2009, 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

More paint progress:

The tank and rear fender are just about ready for the base coat.

There's still a little dent on the front side that needs to be fully taken care of, I've highlighted it in the circle there. It's a stubborn one, doesn't seem to want to go away.

Everything else is already masked, primed and sanded, ready for basecoat:

and just today I put down the basecoat on the frame, swingarm, and handlebars. I'm going to clear them in just a little bit, got to check them over and make sure everything is fully even.

Thanks for keeping in the loop
Sky
ghostyder

PostPosted: January 13, 2009, 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

cant wait to see this bike finished. keep up the good work!!

PostPosted: January 16, 2009, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

Got the tank and rear fender painted:

I couldn't be more pleased with how the gas tank turned out,

The fender came out looking really nice,

Until I saw this little section,

Not exactly sure what happened there? but now I'm going to have to wetsand the fender and re-spray it Sad

Now I need more paint, first time, thought I could get it all done with one quart. I was wrong, need more black!
silverfox

PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

try giveing it a wet flatten with p1500 and polish it first befour you go and buy more paint
electronicx

PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics of my XS650 project

I love the paint booth! I need to make one of those. My clear coat has a piece of fuzz from a tree sealed inside because I didn't use a booth.
I cant wait to see that bike in its final form! Gotta love being able to say you did everything yourself.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12