650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > home made head pipes

home made head pipes
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
TheDude

PostPosted: March 3, 2008, 12:43 pm    Post subject: home made head pipes

I am planning to fab up my own head pipes. I plan to purchase pre bent stainless steel elbows, U-bends, and straight sections (and TIG them together). I plan on using essentially the standard design (not one of those high exit designs).

Anyone ever done this? If so, where did you get the pre-bent tubing? Classic Tube comes up on googe and has what it will take for about $130 in material cost.

From what I have read (Minton’s), it sounds like 32”-35” long by 1-1/2” diameter is a good place to start. I am still not sure if that means 1-1/2” id (1-5/8” od) or 1-1/2” od (1-3/8” id).
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 3, 2008, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: home made head pipes

ask roy fisk I believe he is working on a set
Photo Gallery
stomper11

PostPosted: October 24, 2008, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: home made head pipes

hi dude have a look at this link at the front of the parts there is a sec on there bends over here in uk you can order bits from any exhaust outlet and they are a worldwide hope its a help stomper www.bosal.com/ProductC...fault.aspx
Midnight_Special

PostPosted: October 25, 2008, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: home made head pipes

I just bought some staight pipe and U-bends to do my bike but it wasn't stainless. I got my stuff from jegs, they have stainless . Mine cost about a buck 20.

Have Fun
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 25, 2008, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: home made head pipes

here ya go made for a V8, bit over priced for a twin.. think you could get by with a home made U-pipe

kalecoauto.com/index.p...ex&cPath=1

XS919

PostPosted: November 10, 2008, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: home made head pipes

I fabbed up my own. 4x 90 degree bends and 2x 45 degree bends and 3 or 4 feet of straigth tube and your set.

I've got a couple of pics somewhere of when I first tacked it together.

Any decent exhaust shop should be able to supply you with individual bends and tube if you want to do it in mild steel.

In stainless check out the places that supply tube and bends to the food industry and the like. You will be able to get 304 and 316 stainless from them and they will polish up nice.

Cheers

Michael
Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: November 11, 2008, 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: home made head pipes

I made my own when I chopped my '84. The shop I worked at had a bender. I'll try & find a pic.
kyle1911

PostPosted: November 15, 2008, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: home made head pipes

Here's a link to the people I got my U bends from. Good folks, fast service, good pricing. www.spdexhaust.com/index.html The next link is to the company I got my megaphone cones from. For the price, I couldn't justify cussing at my slip rolls for two days, and then buying them anyway Smile www.coneeng.com/conica...ducts.html My headers are a plumber's nightmare, and yet it all went together smoothly. 1.75", with the stock spigots welded into the headers, and open all the way through, with just a hint of steel wool in the last 6 inches. The neighbors will love me! Hope to have it up and running by christmas. Built 750, and a ton of goodies. Lots of hand made one-off stuff! Thanks to all for the tips and advice on here. Lot's of hard-earned knowledge. Kyle

neighbors\' wont like pipes!.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.01 KB
 Viewed:  307 Time(s)

neighbors\' wont like pipes!.jpg

i like pipes!.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  160.39 KB
 Viewed:  323 Time(s)

i like pipes!.jpg

pl5.jpg
 Description: