650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Help on backfiring exhaust...

Help on backfiring exhaust...
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
gwamba

PostPosted: July 13, 2008, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Help on backfiring exhaust...

I just purchased a 1978 XS 650SE and got it up and running, with the help of a cycle buddy.
The bike is running well but the 2 into 1 aftermarket exhaust system (looks like the one Mike's sells) is fairly loud and backfires while backing off the throttle...not sure what, if any baffles are still there?

any suggestions out there? I'm coming back into biking after a 25 year absence...my last bike was a 1978 GS 1000 Suzuki, which I sold in 1984
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 13, 2008, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on backfiring exhaust...

The carbs may be running too lean. You could try opening the air/fuel mixture screw 1/4 turn.
Photo Gallery
gwamba

PostPosted: July 13, 2008, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on backfiring exhaust...

Retiredgentleman wrote:
The carbs may be running too lean. You could try opening the air/fuel mixture screw 1/4 turn.

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow! Smile
Photo Gallery
gwamba

PostPosted: July 13, 2008, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on backfiring exhaust...

Retiredgentleman wrote:

Is that what the service manual calls the "pilot screw"?
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 13, 2008, 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on backfiring exhaust...

Yes, also called Idle Mixture or Pilot Screw.
Photo Gallery
gwamba

PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on backfiring exhaust...

Tried 1/4 turn richer, then 1/2 turn richer... no change in backfire, just higher idle speed... almost 2,000 rpm...

The headers have a $49 universal muffler on them but there IS a baflle installed...

Timing maybe???
It runs strong though? Just POPS a lot when backing off the throttle...
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: July 17, 2008, 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Help on backfiring exhaust...

check for leakage
Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 17, 2008, 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help on backfiring exhaust...

Yeah, usually the popping on trailing throttle is caused by one of two things: too lean of a mixture, or a leak somewhere in the exhaust system. My '81 has the Mac 2-1s on it, and it does the same thing, although not so bad. I'm pretty sure it's the muffler/header joint, cuz no matter what I've tried, I can't get that connection tight. I have an '80 with the same exhaust system on it, and the joint is very secure. Go figure. Guess my '81's system was made on a Monday.

Best,

Michael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
bsquared

PostPosted: September 1, 2008, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on backfiring exhaust...

Can I jump in? I've got the same problem, except I'm using MIkes Commando style pipes on my xs2. I've got some leaking where the pipes join the downpipes, where the clamp is. I ordered exhaust gaskets but, for the life of me, I can't fit them in. The fit between ID and OD of the pipes is so good, the gasket won't fit, and yet, it does leak. Is there some kind of sealant that won't permanently glue the pipes together?
I can live with it, but it is irritating.
Have a great Labor Day!
Peace,
Bsquared.

Philippians 4:7 I really believe Wink that this has been mistranslated...St. Paul was thinking about a large Chocolate brownie when he mentioned the "piece that passes all understanding." (Yes...I'm joking)
Photo Gallery
Mikesxs

PostPosted: September 1, 2008, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on backfiring exhaust...

Check the cylinder head pipe gaskets. If leak at muffler/headpipe joint persists apply a bit of high temp silicone seal and clamp it together (let it set up a while before firing up the engine. Retighten after it's got hot once.

Mike Lalonde Mikes XS

artie

PostPosted: November 9, 2008, 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on backfiring exhaust...

after 3 sets of rebuilt carbs I still have this popping problem I run a 2 into 1 mack I'm down to thinking that exhaust restricters maybe the trick thoughts thanks
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 9, 2008, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on backfiring exhaust...

Mix screws have to be dead on with straight pipes........(BS34) 45 pilot....I use a custom 46...and the mix screws are seldom exactly the same on both sides...when decelerating the mix has to be perfect to feed each stroke correctly.......rich can cause unsteady decel and of course lean will for sure cause it.....set each side independently...........think the stock 42.5 may idol ok but not enough fuel for heavier decelerations.....think 2-1 exhaust causes a lot of backpressure already...?.....not the expert on that but have solved the decel problem for others with a bit bigger pilot....and careful setting of the mix screws.........also they will run leaner when the weather gets cooler.....another catch 22 for sure......and just the smallest movement of the mix screw with larger pilots does a lot once they are close.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1