650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

for all you guys with wrapped exhausts
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
jplayxs

PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 9:49 pm    Post subject: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

did you use the 1 inch or 2 inch wrap?? 2 inch i think would be a little wide for im guessing a 50ft roll would be sufficient to wrap a set of pipes just the stock peg mounts?? thanks for any help
kzxs

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

I used 2 inch over two inch exhaust pipe on both sides. I had some left over. I found it was easier to wrap after the wrapping was wet first.

exhaust.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.82 KB
 Viewed:  316 Time(s)

exhaust.jpg

98 YZF 600R
81 XS 400 (NEW Project)
83 KZ 750 Ltd
83 XS 400 Seca
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

I used 15ft to wrap the headers alone. I used 2".
Photo Gallery
tacoswild

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

I admit I have no idea what this is for?
p73ornstar

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

Header wrap is used to not only keep the outside of the pipes cooler, but also keep the interior temps up helping with fuel efficiency. Some say that the wrap can help quiet the exhaust note, but some also say that the wrap gives a deeper, more throaty sound. If anyone else can elaborate on this, feel free.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

Yes indeed.

It is great for keeping the outer service cool. Go for a long run, leave it standing for a minute and you can touch it. You can touch it whilst its running for quite a while before it gets too hot to touch..

In my view the engine warms to running temperature more quickly and is more tolerant of richer mixes, but the true effect of those conditions would probably only be apparent in power differences in highly tuned motors.
Photo Gallery
kzxs

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

Personally I just like the way it looks. But it is better if you happen to hit your leg/ankle on it. (But if you legs are showin then you better put on pants.)

98 YZF 600R
81 XS 400 (NEW Project)
83 KZ 750 Ltd
83 XS 400 Seca
Photo Gallery
kzxs

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

Personally I just like the way it looks. But it is better if you happen to hit your leg/ankle on it. (But if you legs are showin then you better put on pants.)

98 YZF 600R
81 XS 400 (NEW Project)
83 KZ 750 Ltd
83 XS 400 Seca
Photo Gallery
jerseyjew

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

Indeed.. I have my pipes wrapped to the foot pegs and I just enjoy the look more then anything. I had 50ft of 2" and was able to do both with plenty leftover.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

Did I mention it looks awesome? LOL...

PS...thats why I use it...LOL
Photo Gallery
renloy

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

Do you have to use some sort of sealer on the wrap to keep the exhaust from rusting out?
jerseyjew

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

renloy wrote:
Do you have to use some sort of sealer on the wrap to keep the exhaust from rusting out?
Not sure. I just direct wrapped it. The exhaust smoked for the first 50 miles or so and smelled horrible. It is fine now though.
kzxs

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

I agree, I just wrapped it. I place it over standard vehicle exhaust pipe and it is coated. I know there is a silicone protective spray that you can put over the wrap, but I have not tried it. I agree with the smell though.

98 YZF 600R
81 XS 400 (NEW Project)
83 KZ 750 Ltd
83 XS 400 Seca
Photo Gallery
jplayxs

PostPosted: September 18, 2008, 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

awesome...thanks for the info guys......and yes it looks cool Very Happy
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 18, 2008, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

I used two-inch on my headers, mainly for cosmetic reasons.
Photo Gallery
woodman

PostPosted: October 29, 2008, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

I have my stainless 2-1 Supertrapp on my Harley Fatboy wrapped where it trys several places to burn the crap out of my leg. If you wet the wrap it will be tighter and will also shrink up a bit when it dries making a neater look. I sprayed mine with the black silicone spray too. Wrapping the whole pipe may well cause the pipe to destruct itself from the heat. I also used the stainless tie wraps and painted over them. They really stink for quite a while but it goes away. I have 12 bikes including 2 XS650s so dont get too wound up over the Harley
JAKE76XS650

PostPosted: October 30, 2008, 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

haha woodman, one xs would have been sufficient to redeem yourself but two? now your just trying to kiss our ass! just playin, i enjoy a good looking harley myself every now and then.
but on a side note thanks for the info too! i'm going to do the same thing to my headers and this answered a lot of my questions. thanks!
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: October 31, 2008, 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

Looks to me like you can carry a roll of that wrap with you on road trips and use it to clean up those pesky toilet emergencies that sometimes happen when you eat in the wrong diner. I don't know why anybody wraps their pipes in it. It looks like hell. ooooops! Razz
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 31, 2008, 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

it keeps the heat in the pipes, might be all right for racing purposes but what's the point on a street machice? looks? buy chrome bling harley boys Twisted Evil
JAKE76XS650

PostPosted: October 31, 2008, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

looks are just one mans opinion. there may be no significant benefit on a street machine, but hey, if you actually like how it looks then go for it. chrome is not for everybody. and in my opinion, it doesn't fit on "every" single part.
georelle

PostPosted: October 31, 2008, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

I think the wrap does look good on the right bike. It is a classic hot rod look, it kept heat out of your engine compartment. Does it really do anything? Well it does work as a heat shield and it can keep your exhaust from heating up your feet/legs while riding and it may also keep heat off your engine. Did you ever notice how your pipes come out in the front so the wind can blow the heat right over your air cooled engine?. If you don't like how it looks don't wrap your pipes. if you do like how it looks and think it might help performance go for it.
'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: November 1, 2008, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

I don't understand this retro craze, anyway. In truckstop diners and in nearby taverns, in any place that truckers hang out, there's always a table full of old-timers who run a conversation like this: "I don't give a damn what anybody says about these new trucks. I'm tellin ya! They don't make the sumbitches like they used to." And then there's always another voice that chimes in: "Thank f***in' God!"

I feel the same way about motorcycles. I can remember when dirt bikes weighed 500 lbs. and they handled like loaded dump trucks.

To each his own, I guess.
bigcam59

PostPosted: November 1, 2008, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: for all you guys with wrapped exhausts

I just did mine, and i love the look, especially over the battered scratched pitted chrome that now lies underneath. Be prepared for one thing, though...they will smoke till the wrap breaks in. Took a few rides for the smoke and the smell to dissipate.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1