650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > 2nd oil change

2nd oil change
    Forum Index -> Engine
Borris

PostPosted: June 26, 2006, 10:08 pm    Post subject: 2nd oil change

I changed the oil on my Herritage for the 2nd time since I bought it last July. This time I bought a new sump filter. That part went well. I pulled the side filter and saw the one thing I never wanted to see. Metal shavings in the mesh! Is this a normal thing?
Wulf

PostPosted: June 28, 2006, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd oil change

Hey Borris, no metal shavings are not normal in the "normal" sense of the word. What I mean is that a well maintained engine with regular oil changes would not have metal shavings in them. Now, how old is your bike and how many owners have had it and not kept it maintained as they should? Depending on the answer, metal shavings could be normal, considering the amount of wear from improper maintenace. Keep your oil changed regularly, Don't "ride it like ya stole it" and you'll probably get several more thousand miles worth of riding before overhaul time.
Wulf

Borris

PostPosted: June 28, 2006, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd oil change

Thanks Wulf!

The bike is an 83 Herritage. From what I understand I'm 3rd owner. It only has 11,000 miles on her. When I bought it the guy saind he just had the oil changed. I put about 300 miles on it and changed it again and just rinsing the side filter. A couple weeks back I was out and had a little trouble with the clutch. I forgot to put a little oil in the cable when I got it out this year. I had to 2 hand it for a bit until I could get some. I'm wondering if maybe the shavings were from the transmission maybe? I put a couple hundred miles on it and change the oil again and see what the filter looks like.
How often do you change/clean you sump filter?
Wulf

PostPosted: June 29, 2006, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd oil change

Hey Borris, (and anyone else following this). The sump filter should be changed: 1. if the first thing that comes to mind is "What sump filter?"
2. if it's original ( and probably torn )
3. if it's torn
4. if it's severly sludged up ( which means the rest of the engine
is probably just as bad and in severe need of overhaul
anyway.
5. when you overhaul the engine.
MikesXS sells them for about 24.00 and it's an improved design over original. You can clean the sump filter with brake cleaner and reuse if it passes inspection for the above. You say the previous owner just changed the oil. That always concerns me because often it's an attempt to hide poor maintenance. BTW, how did the air filters look? Clean oil but dirty filters can tell a better story about upkeep. Give me a shout.
Wulf

Borris

PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd oil change

Well, the outer pats of the air filters were torn and the foam seal was slippery and mushy. This was another reason I bought the pod filters. The sump filter was torn at the bottom. My father in law had one of these XS bikes years ago. The first thing he told me was to buy both filters for it. He said he always had a second set tucked away. Every oil change he would change both filters, rinse the dirty ones out and hang them a day to dry. Then put them somewhere that they wouldn't get dirty.
Wulf

PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd oil change

An excellent idea! Go for it. And buy that man a beer while you're at it.
Wulf

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1