650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > oil cooler

oil cooler
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
nehtar

PostPosted: August 13, 2006, 11:54 am    Post subject: oil cooler

Can anyone tell me where to get an oil cooler I can't find any at any of the parts places thanks
royfisk

PostPosted: September 19, 2006, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

I would think a lockhart cooler for a triumph or sportster even would work, you could remove your top-end oil line feeder, install a ferrule into the engine block to feed the cooler. Then you would have to put a fitting into the upper section of the feeder tee to bring the oil from the cooler to the top end. This would cool the oil going into the top-end. being that the 650 does not use a oil tank I am not sure of a real solid idea to cool it going into the sump.
dpmphoto

PostPosted: May 2, 2008, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

The 650 does not need an oiler cooler, unless your bored and have extra money to waste spend it somewhere else.With the overhead cam and the bearings and such you really gain nothing by having one
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 2, 2008, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

I beg to differ but sure don't want to argue about it.........they do cool the engine down some in the hot summer and help protect the viscosity.....and you don't have to pay much for them if you are careful....and some ways to install them are better than others........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 2, 2008, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

I would have to agree with John I put a lockhart I got used for $10 including the new oil line and fasteners. I never looked back.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2008, 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

Cooler works well on mine here even in the chilly UK..Increases oil capacity by a pint too..
That said you dont actually NEED one...The japs dont usually tend to leave off something a bike needs
The bike scrapyards over here are chock-full of £10 coolers...

allsorts 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.84 KB
 Viewed:  440 Time(s)

allsorts 001.jpg

Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 3, 2008, 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

royfisk wrote:
I would think a lockhart cooler for a triumph or sportster even would work, you could remove your top-end oil line feeder, install a ferrule into the engine block to feed the cooler. Then you would have to put a fitting into the upper section of the feeder tee to bring the oil from the cooler to the top end. This would cool the oil going into the top-end. being that the 650 does not use a oil tank I am not sure of a real solid idea to cool it going into the sump.

Roy -- I'm not arguing but just asking: Wouldn't that setup starve the top end after start-up, during the time it takes to pump the cooler full of oil BEFORE the top end gets any?
Joseph

PostPosted: May 3, 2008, 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

xsjohn I kow you have the temps down to a science, saved me a bunch of time, in NY I get both ends of the weather and there were some days last summer I think knoking a few deg off wouldn't hurt. How much did you cool it down with your topend cooler? That is going to be my next mod.
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2008, 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

I have my cooler so it holds oil once the pressure builds it pumps from the cooler to the engine actually shorter than pumping from the sump.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: May 3, 2008, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

Web Page Name oil cooler xsjohn top end great info.
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

I dont want to argue either,I'm just saying the bike doesnt need one due to the engine design.
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

Would think especially an air cooled engine even though it is ball bearing can use some means for the heat to excape in the hot summer.........unless it is just fun hearing all the clattering..........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

It might not need one in Syracuse, NY. Try the May till November summertime in Texas. And then getting stuck in afternoon bumper-to-bumper traffic on the I-10 that's been under construction for the past eight years. More than once, I've had to pull off the freeway to let my bike cool off before continuing. Would an oil cooler without some sort of fan help in my situation? Dunno, but it couldn't hurt.

Best,

Michael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

Probably not much in that situation.........water cooled barrels would be the hot ticket.....the barrels get hotter than the head and there is some important clearances in there..........xsjohn

Gets as hot as fresh dog doo here in NC too......that would be 98 degrees I suppose and more if the sun is shining on it.........
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 6, 2008, 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

Yeah, for sure it depends where you live................now here in Canada perhaps an inline heating element for the oil would be more useful for those cold morning starts Very Happy
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 6, 2008, 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

Could drape your heating pad over it .....no not the whoopee cushion.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Jeffery

PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler

Yea, it may not be necessary in some parts of the country but when you live in a climate where you can step outside at midnight and its still 100 degrees during certain months a year it sure can't hurt to have a cooler. I still believe, after constantly watching ebay regularly for years now that the heat is the reason you rarily find a used XS 650 in this state. I have heard some say it didn't matter because they drove through Phoenix one time when it was 120 degees and they experienced no problems. However, try riding your air cooled motorcycle day in day out in that type of climate I believe does take its toll on the engine.
Todd

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1